You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to OGame.org. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Mecca1305

Unregistered

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 8:14am

Planet Relocation

I know I am not the only person who is unhappy with this new element to ogame. It completely destroys the entire planning process, that myself and many other people thought long and hard about before placing a colony. It ruins the entire strategy of the game. All of ogame was based on math, and logic before. Now myself, or anyone else can wake up with a new colony placed right next door to them with a large fleet already on its way. If you could only move in your current system, I wouldn't think it would be the best idea, but it would be a tolerable change. But someone being able to build all their planets up in an isolated area, and then suddenly move by paying a few dollars, is ridiculous. This has nothing to do with people buying DM or not, even the people who buy will end up being victims of something that should not have happened to begin with, in my opinion. It is things like this that ruin a great game. I hope someone who has some voice in this game reads this and is able to change what will be the likely end of ogame.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Mecca1305" (Sep 4th 2010, 8:21am)

BLOODYxPaciFIST

There're many behind me...but still some ahead

Date of registration: Feb 8th 2010

Location: "It would be a great day when schools have all the money they need and the air force has to hold a bake sale in order to buy another bomber." -Unknown

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 8:30am

every change we hear the cries of the end of ogame. THE END IS NEAR, THE END IS NEAR!!! you gonna do that with 2012 too? no, this is not the end of ogame, why even post this? you just looking for people to flame with?

Electra HoFs
76 basic | 7 solo ADV. | 8 ADV. ACS | 1 Super Adv.
Hydra HoFs
19 basic | 1 top ten
Jupiter HoFs
98 basic solo | 4 adv. solo | 2 acs adv |3 top 10
Nekkar Hofs
1 Basic | 1 Ninja
Total HoFs | 221

Mecca1305

Unregistered

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 8:34am

so when someone moves there colonies near you nukes you, then moves again and changes there name. then what are you going to do? It's also amazing that you only comment on 1 line of the entire post.

lmuscrot

Unregistered

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 9:11am

this is an ill-conceived and poorly evaluated idea; planets do not move - at least not randomly and independent of their system like that

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "lmuscrot" (Sep 4th 2010, 9:34am)

savagenights

Unregistered

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 5:11pm

this is an ill-conceived and poorly evaluated idea; planets do not move - at least not randomly and independent of their system like that

sure they do, go read 'fleet of worlds'

kwinse

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoq pɹoɐɯ

Date of registration: Nov 13th 2005

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 9:42pm

I'd like to remind everyone that this is a game that puts balance and gameplay ahead of story, it does not need realistic (or faux-realistic) explanations for everything.

This feature was first implemented in another Gameforge game called Ikarium and it worked well there.

As for the feature itself, it is quite expensive to use for mobile colony purposes. Besides that, planets have a 24 hour cooldown after a successful move before they can be moved again, which means that you'd have to be offline for at least a day or two for someone to crash you and move away again (and being offline for that long without fleetsaving in some fashion is asking for your fleet to get crashed). Never mind they could already do that with mobile colonies, and do it faster to boot...

B&C & Suggestions Moderator
Complaints about me or my modding? Please PM me or my SMod, Florence.
Coauthor of Cumulative Cost, alongside Crimson King.

Night Reaper

Unregistered

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 10:05pm

I disagree with Kwinse this is another way to get money out of game

in the other hand game play i strongly agree with Mecca

otherwise why ask for money why not give it as bonus once you reach 3 ,5 , 8 million point mark

lmuscrot

Unregistered

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 10:23pm

oh i'm so glad theres a 24h cooldown period - that means so much when a planet-moon combination like a missile silo 50 plus a moon with phalanx 9 and associated infrastructure (which would take months to create in most universes) suddenly appears in an area that was previously safe- thanks so much, i guess that day gives me time to pay greedy gameforge to move me away from my aggressor lol

just think about what it means - clearly nobody did enough of that before implementing it - location is everything in ogame; strategy is primarily where you place your colonies...that will clearly change, and it is in no way fair to pop such a change on universes where people have been playing and developing strategies based on IMMOVABLE planets and colonies for years

Mecca1305

Unregistered

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 11:32pm

I have seen move their planets, there is no warning what so ever that someone is going to put a planet right next to you, so no you would not need to be offline for a day, if someone planned it for your offline time, you would wake up with a fully developed planet, and fleet right next to you with little to no warning. This do drastically affect the balance of ogame, it completely changes the entire dynamic of the game itself. People can now move there homeworld to any system of their choosing, develop in a substantial fleet, then relocate it. This completely makes the game lopsided for those who pay more than everyone else. Like i had started previously, if you could move only same system, I could at least see it as somewhat legitimate, but people able to relocate anywhere of your choosing is just ridiculous. I would love to hear what logic someone could give to relocate a planet outside their system, for something other than to attack someone. In regards to mobile colonies being cheaper and quicker, you are incorrect, it takes sometimes weeks to develop a planet properly, far more than 24hrs, let alone setup a mobile colony, get a moon and jumpgate on it. At least with a mobile colony you have some warning that you are possibly being hunted. This is an obvious attempt to gain more profits out of ogame, a better solution would be to place a banner ad on the top or the right hand side, myspace.com and facebook.com make plenty of money this way, and when they do it, it does not destroy the core idea of the game.

kwinse

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoq pɹoɐɯ

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 11:53pm

Jumpgates are deactivated for 24 hours after a successful relocation, so moving a fleet in 'without warning' would be just like using a mobile in that the fleet must be deployed over for an attack. Also note that (as far as I know) there is a clue that a player has scheduled a planet move- the button turns grey on that slot. The warning is subtle, but it's there, and it's more than you get for colonization.

fluffymouse

I think I spend too much time here

Date of registration: Nov 7th 2010

Sunday, September 5th 2010, 1:40am

relocation

I can see a couple of good points to this:

1. When new players start playing most of the time they put their planets close together and by the time they join an alliance or ask for tips they have invested to much to abandon them, so this would give them the opportunity to spread them out.

2. For those able to afford to put money on dark matter in time of wars they would diffidently would have the upper hand.
Sirfluffymouse

Commanding Officer of FMF LTL United

lmuscrot

Unregistered

Sunday, September 5th 2010, 2:33am

Well mr fluffy mouse - what you consider a 'good point' i consider a complete destruction of my now years old colonization strategy. Why should someone be able to now create their colonies where they want and pay to have them moved to a more convenient location when i have had to move my own by destroying what i had and starting over again in the new spot i want to colonize? That is the basic essence of the game itself; getting your empire set up the right way in the right spot. Allowing people to do things that undermine that basic element of gameplay will ruin not just the gameplay itself, but also strategies that people have been developing for a long time (in many cases years) at this point. This is a bad idea plain and simple.

And as for your second point - yes absolutely, if you could afford to do this all the time you would certainly have an upper hand in any situation - and if you want to play a game where how much you pay the organizers of the game dictataes how well you will do in it i say go for it, have fun. This is not what i want out of o-game, or any game for that matter.

Let's consider another situation: So I am a predatory player who has identified a juicy target, a target that is in fact so juicy I am willing to set up a colony, develop it, and make a moon there, just in order to attack this person. So I spend a couple weeks getting all that stuff in place and then my prey pays $20 and poof so much for all my preparations... Where is the fairness in that? You may as well let people poof away their planets when there is an attacking fleet on its way to them. I guess the retort would be that I can go ahead and pay to have my planet follow my prey, but even if that didnt cost a fair bit of cash, where would it end?

Again i say this has not been properly considered or evaluated, and i can say absolutely positively NOT ENOUGH CONSULTATION WITH PLAYERS, NO MEANS FOR PLAYERS TO HAVE INPUT INTO THIS DECISION, AND AS FAR AS I CAN TELL ABSOLUTELY ZERO WARNING OF THIS IDEA HAS BEEN OFFERED TO THE PEOPLE WHO PLAY THIS GAME. Funny really when there was just a survey hanging around the right side of my screen for the past couple weeks...why was there no discussion of this idea there?

I am a long-time player of this game and I know that if this silliness continues, at least a few of the people that I play with will leave o-game permanently. While I cannot say for certain that this is truly indicative of the general feeling towards this idea, I think it quite likely. Don't put the cart before the horse gameforge, you end up worse off than when you started; you can play with the details but when your 'improvements' threaten the basic game you are peddling you need to get your priorities straight. You have a good game here, dont mess it up by trying to get too fancy or too greedy.

Try not to forget, your product is virtual; if you alienate the hardcore players that have followed this game through the years and dozens of new universes, you have nothing at all except a handful of pixels and a few lines of code...

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "lmuscrot" (Sep 5th 2010, 2:43am)

elsu

Call me regular :D

• "elsu" has been banned

Date of registration: Aug 24th 2010

Sunday, September 5th 2010, 3:11am

Planets and moons are moving all the time whos to say that earth was not created from a rougue moon thrown from a intergalatic explosion from another galaxy.

GF are just being proactive and are giving players the opporunity to make some activity in quiet unis

Quagmire105

Unregistered

Sunday, September 5th 2010, 7:57am

Well, I happen to agree with Mecca in that this really changes the game, and unfairly... for those with the funds to do it, it gives a very unfair advantage.

I for one am going into v-mode until some sense comes out of this.

Right now I just feel like I wasted a year or so of my time playing this... it should have been implemented in a new uni, not added to an existing one.

Thanks Gameforge :(

lmuscrot

Unregistered

Sunday, September 5th 2010, 8:50am

Proactive to resuscitate the old dying unis? Then add the option to those unis and not the ones that have lots of palyers still active.

It's like playing checkers until the game is almost over and then changing the rules to tiddly-winks as the game winds down to 'liven things up' - just ridiculous :(

Night Reaper

Unregistered

Sunday, September 5th 2010, 12:51pm

Next thing on your gender will be pay us $$$$ you can move all your colonies to any choice Universe account you play in

where does this stop its us players who put time into our accounts

while you sit there rubbing your hands with Greed

king3d

Unregistered

Sunday, September 5th 2010, 3:57pm

to be honest that is a good idea, so that ppl can enjoy the ogame as they should, by moving out of a dead uni to an active one.

the relocation, is atm something close to pointless, cuz the slot choice is restricted. only thing i see good in it is that you can move the homeplanet, thats all.

and the price, cant expect all things to come free, but that doesn't mean it should be unreasonable pricing either.

or like lmuscrot said, concentrate on the major issue. cuz wat he says is true, its unfair/unreasonable or should i say discrimination to the players who have started in the old unis and who have been faithful long term gamers. its simply letting everyone down.

savagenights

Unregistered

Monday, September 6th 2010, 4:19pm

king, please get a reality check, this is something that is more likely to cause more activity in old universes. people deciding to move their planet closer to a clump of other active people to crash, etc etc. it wont be a lot of activity, but its better than the slim/none that all the damned doomsayers (such as several that posted in this thread) are saying its going to give. has anyone stopped to consider that GF implemented THIS feature first because it would allow them to merge universes as they please? they wouldnt have to care about planet placing because if someone's new locations piss them off, they can use the planet relocation to move to a more suitable spot. seems some people are really neglecting the 'think before you speak' saying.

Bodestone

Unregistered

Monday, September 6th 2010, 8:43pm

I can certainly see the point of view of those raging against this change.

The officers give small advantages to those who can afford them but this gives a huge advantage to those with more money than sense. I don't believe that it will kill the game but it does completely change the long term tactical gamepley.

That this was done with absolutely no consultation or even advanced warning, especially given the recent poll, is what burns for me. I have actually been looking for an official post from gameforge announcing it and clearly defining the rules, what you can and can't do over the 24 hours etc. I have found user posts and something on ogame Japan. I can find no official definition of exactly how it works though, possibly because the search results are flooded with complaints and counter remarks. Can anyone paste a link here?

kwinse

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoq pɹoɐɯ

Monday, September 6th 2010, 9:40pm

Gameforge can choose to implement whatever they want into their games, whenever they want. They don't have to ask players for their input about anything. The new version was announced 12 days before it was implemented at .org in exactly the same manner as all other game updates- it was posted in the News section of the forums: version 1.3

In my own words, this is how relocation works:
-You go to galaxy view, and select an empty slot to move to. You can only move your planet within set ranges, which are slots 1-3, 4-12, and 13-15. - Once selected, this starts a 24 hour countdown. During this time nobody can send a colonization mission to that slot, nor can they send a relocation of their own.
-The following prevent a successful recolonization: planet slot is occupied (whether from a colonization sent before you started the timer or a newly registered player); you have buildings, ships, or defense building on that planet; you are actively researching; you have fleets flying from that planet. The same restrictions apply to the moon of that planet, if applicable. These events only block the recolonization at the end of the 24 hours, but the countdown will change color to warn you if you have something happening that would prevent the recolonization as a warning.
-If the relocation is unsuccessful, then you are not charged any Dark Matter. You can start another relocation if you so choose.
-If the relocation is successful, the planet (and its moon) is moved instantly and the 240k DM is deducted from the account. The planet size and fields, resources, buildings, etc. stay the same, but the planet picture and temperature can change.
-Any fleet on the planet is set to fly from the old slot to the new at 100% speed but without a deut cost. The mission is set as a recalled deployment, so it is invisible to enemy phalanxes.
-If the relocation is successful, it starts another 24 hour timer. During this time you cannot start another recolonization and you cannot use the jumpgate.

I'm not sure if it will let you start a relocation timer without the requisite dark matter on the account.