You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to OGame.org. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DaBigD

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 8:50am

Mines and Astro Cost Effectiveness Spreadsheet

So, with my current obsession with cost effectiveness of mines, this was bound to happen (I swear I'm going to stop using those two words in every other sentence once I post this). Required a few changes before it was presentable, but it still works. And so, I present you this spreadsheet:

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?cprzk8r4f3kc8kr

Tested with OpenOffice, should work with any program that can open them spreadsheets. It calculates the cost effectiveness of the next mine upgrade/astro upgrade depending on your current mine levels, trade ratios and temperature. It is optimal that you do what is more cost effective for faster growth, which is the whole point of this spreadsheet. Supports up to 15 planets, which should be enough for now. PM me for any errors/reviews/feature and aesthetical requests, keep the thread clean. Do not PM me if you can't get it to work; it's not that hard to fill in the blue fields.

Version 1.0.0

Usage:
-Fill in the light blue/cyan fields for data entry.
-Do not touch the two Data Sheets unless you know what you are doing, they're for calculation purposes only.
-The first sheet is for micro-managing your planets only, use the second sheet for your astro calculations.
-The sheets are independant, so can just go straight to second sheet if you're only interested in astro.
-You have to manually enter everything in the second page even if you did fill in the first, the process is not automated.
-Please, for the love of Joe Pesci, read the red warning signs, they're there for you to read.

Demonicpillow

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 9:18am

Looks like you have put a lot of hard work into it, the only problem being the results aquired have little to compare to, there is no scale to compare the cost effectiveness to.

DaBigD

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 24th 2010, 8:06pm

Looks like you have put a lot of hard work into it, the only problem being the results aquired have little to compare to, there is no scale to compare the cost effectiveness to.

They're meant to be compared between themselves, but if you are that interested in it, divide the cost effectiveness value by the multiplier and take the reciprocal of it, which gives you ROI (return of invesment) in hours. The only scale I can give you is how cost-effectiveness relates to ROI times; such as a mine that has cost effectiveness of 2.85 (with multiplier in use) has about 4 years as its RIO, but it'll probably just complicate the spreadsheet more than it already is. I'll keep that in mind, though.

Jex Roselin

Unregistered

Wednesday, August 25th 2010, 7:17pm

I will take a look at it, its about time I worked out how to play on new universes

DaBigD

Unregistered

Friday, August 27th 2010, 8:27am

You know how they say you can never perfect something until you release it; it is true. The first file is deleted because it's more professional to only keep updated versions of your stuff.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2rw3im9ivmmz4zk

Version 1.1.0

-Added a sheet to calculate the cost effectiveness of energy sources.
-You can now enter the amount of sats you need in the new planet in astro sheet, and see your energy balance calculated with your average temp.
-The astro calculation was slightly altered to accommodate the decreased deut production due to fusion reactors, and the increased costs due to solar sats.
-Deut trade tool added on the planets sheet for simple deut selling calculations.
-Data Sheets are now merged into one, but still support multiple trade rates.
-"Average Temp" value in the astro sheet is changed to "Average of max Temps" because the previous name was misleading.

DaBigD

Unregistered

Thursday, September 2nd 2010, 7:05pm

I do care about the requests you pm me, though implementing them is another issue. Small update, you don't have to download it again, but few more useful things for you.

Support for old design might be coming, depending on the results of the recent poll by GF. Some formulae will have to be altered, but shouldn't be much hard.

Version 1.1.1

-Small changes in astro calculation to make a stronger base for future upgrades, same end result.
-Astro sheet now shows the fields required to support your building levels.
-Astro sheet now tells you what to upgrade next.
-You can see the points invested in mines in the Planets sheet.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ulsivrnb5vls5ef

Gate of Thunder

Feared enemy...for some few :p

Date of registration: Dec 29th 2008

Sunday, September 5th 2010, 6:21pm

If you're going to keep updating it, might be better to design it so that it's easy to copy the planet info from a previous version over without it messing any improvements up?

Otherwise well done! :D

HoF - 10
Adv - 1

DaBigD

Unregistered

Sunday, September 5th 2010, 10:28pm

If you're going to keep updating it, might be better to design it so that it's easy to copy the planet info from a previous version over without it messing any improvements up?

Otherwise well done! :D

Shouldn't be too hard to set it up, though I can't promise I won't need more information on any other update. Will say in the changelog if you ever need to re-enter the values.

Coming along with the next upgrade; a means to automate the process, in which you'd only have to enter values once for the whole sheet. They'll be made so that they can be overridden in each individual sheet. As such, the sheets will recieve a slight visual makeover, but nothing too fancy on the coding side. I'm also hoping on changing to another file hosts that supports free file updates, we'll see if it remains free. At a vacation atm, so no ETA for that.

Monday, September 13th 2010, 12:12am

a lot of values there can be linked.
its an awesome little calc tool though.
35/29/30 and i go for the 11th planet.. ok :)
few metal mines to go and 4 deuts and i get number 11!

as for my suggestions. things like the astro page, the trade ratio can be linked to be the same as the first page (planets) also your astro averages then can be taken from there (SUM(B9:B24:B33)/I6 on astro page.. etc..

makes less numbers needed longterm.

i really wanted a tool like this though. cheers man

DaBigD

Unregistered

Wednesday, September 15th 2010, 9:02pm

So, nothing fancy on the coding side became the addition of a second astro calculator and a rather large rehaul on how the sheet works. The first post will be updated as necessary. kenyard, I've been meaning to do that for quite some time, but only now got around to do it.

Version 1.2.0

New permanent link: http://www.box.net/shared/c75p52ohj0

Usage: Enter the values on the Data Entry sheet, those that say essential are, well, essential to the calculation. You can enter either the average mine levels and average max temps (which obviously gives average results) or enter your whole planet details for complete values. The overview page shows the cost effectiveness of your averaged mine levels and a new level of astro, and actually tells you what mine to upgrade, on which planet. It also contains two little tools and some additional info. The planets sheet shows you detailed info about your planets. The astro sheet is for additional calculation, because the overview page already has an astro calculation built in; this one is mainly so that you see the effect a new level of a nanite or something without having to move across the pages. The energy sheet is for energy calculation, and is pretty simple to use. All the sheets take values such as trade rates and planet # from the Data Entry sheet unless you enter them in any sheet manually. The first sheet can be copied from one version to other unless specified, be sure to copy it into the same place.

Great King Pat

There're many behind me...but still some ahead

Date of registration: May 6th 2008

Saturday, December 11th 2010, 1:19am

Hey Mr BigD,

I find ur speadsheet to be very intuitive indeed & would like to thank u for the massive effort u have cleary invested. I'm just wondering if u would consider releasing a version that accounts for the relevant officers? Let's face it, the majority of top players use Geologist nowadays so it would be great if u could make ur spreasdsheet even more comprehensive with the inclusion of such functionality.

Please let me know either way.

Regards,
GKP

Total HoFs Won - 633
HoFs Lost - 96
Basic - 361
Advanced - 226
Super Advanced - 46
Top 10s - 21
.Org Top 10s - Lost Count
RIPs Killed - 6,439
Moons Destroyed - 16
Games Ended - Countless

Bradius

Unregistered

Tuesday, December 14th 2010, 2:34am

This is a nice tool I have added a bit to it so I can see the effects of a geologist as that was an easy addition. However, I would really like to see the ROI for new mines in the number of days it would take to get a full return on the mine investment.

Jump

Unregistered

Monday, April 4th 2011, 5:32pm

I have a question to your otherwise very nice script here. It seems that you calculate your cost effectiveness in deut prices, since most users dont sell their crystal or metal to detuerimum, but only sells their deuterium to e.g. metal or crystal, then the numbers would not applicable for a traditional miner, since those mines would be unfairly punished due to the trading ratio.
Therefore i would suggest that you only "sell" the deuterium in your calculator to e.g. metal or crystal.
You could also make the user define at what ratio he would sell the deuterium, e.g. sell all deut to Metal, or 0.5 Crystal and 0.5 Metal, whatever ration that sums to 1. Some might always want to sell their deut to metal since it gives more in return, this would also change the order of the mine upgrading order, since now it is the total production (points) your mines make that is the criteria for what to build.

Hope you understand what i mean, else very nice script.
Jump

StarDust101

Unregistered

Tuesday, April 5th 2011, 12:37pm

I kinda get how to use it...

What I dont understand is where kenyard got this from...

Quoted

a lot of values there can be linked.
its an awesome little calc tool though.
35/29/30 and i go for the 11th planet.. ok :)

CaptianNemo

Feared enemy...for some few :p

Date of registration: Nov 14th 2010

Sunday, April 29th 2012, 4:42am

Ill be looking into this as well.

I redid the charts for the fusion reactor on the wiki page for .org's ogame. Just haven't gotten them up yet.

Uni 35 fusion reactor scale

ive updated more stuff and re made a chart showing fields slots but added in efficiencys for deuterium mines by slot.

i however have to fix it again. forgot the explanation that didn't come with my source material since that guy for got to write it up as well. but i found the notes on a German ogame wiki.
=VA= First Officer =VA= Universe 44

~The ping is a submariners worst fear
3 ACS's so far
2 HoF's so far