You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to OGame.org. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bontchev

I think I spend too much time here

• "bontchev" started this thread

Date of registration: Dec 14th 2007

Sunday, May 6th 2012, 1:08pm

Military points

OK, I understand how the military points are computed - the sum of all resources invested in combat ships and defenses, plus half of all resources invested in civil ships, phalanxes and jumpgages, this sum divided by 1.000 gives you your military points.

However, the Highscore page lists several different kinds of such points: Military Points, Military Points Built, Military Points Destroyed, Military Points Lost, Honor Points. Let's ignore the Honor Points; my question is related only to the military points. At first glance, their names seem self-explanatory. Military Points Built is how many you have built, Military Points Destroyed is how many military points of other players you have destroyed, Military Points Lost is how many of your military points have been destroyed by other players and just Military Points is how many military points you currently have.

Trouble is, the math doesn't add up. By the above logic, the number of military points that you currently have should be equal to the number of military points built, minus the number of military points lost. Except that it ain't so!

In my particular case:

Military Points: 701.035
Military Points Built: 703.917
Military Points Lost: 17.148

As you can see, 703.917 - 17.148 is not equal to 701.035.

So, my question is - how are the different kinds of military points (built, lost, etc.) computed? Or is this yet another bug of the game?

NikeJoshua

Feared enemy...for some few :p

Sunday, May 6th 2012, 1:41pm

Never mind, my bad...

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "NikeJoshua" (May 6th 2012, 1:56pm)

[GodlikeB]

I'm one of the big boys now :D

Date of registration: Feb 12th 2008

Sunday, May 6th 2012, 2:18pm

Interesting point by bontchev I too would like an answer.

Is the difference perhaps because of expedition finds?

IMNVS

say it out loud speak the truth

Sunday, May 6th 2012, 6:41pm

Yes, expeditions explain the difference.
:huh: /do͞oSH/ :huh:
1. (n) shower
2. (v) take a shower

:nono "Honour: If you need it defined, you don't have it." - Ron Swanson :nono

civil - adj - courteous and polite
insult - verb - speak to or treat with disrespect or scornful abuse
source: google.com

TurtleCrasher

Date of registration: May 2nd 2011

Sunday, May 6th 2012, 7:04pm

TurtleCrasher (30.719) 302.215 military points

TurtleCrasher (30.719) 302.199 Military points built

TurtleCrasher (30.719) 301.438 Military points lost

well than this cant be possible but it is :hmm:

And i didn't send exp over 8 months;)
]
Tnx brain rot for sig

JUPITER-RETIRED
NEKKAR-Miner-RETIRED
TAURUS-Retired
Blind lanx on DF harvest -http://goo.gl/G4kTto

Phoenix4264

Date of registration: Nov 12th 2010

Monday, May 7th 2012, 5:52am

Expeditions don't seem to explain the difference for me either.
Current Military Points:543.073
Military Points Built: 557:552
Military Points Lost: 31.293
Net military points from expeditions: +46.686

Expo results since the release of ver. 3.0 for those interested:
+5465 ep
+1453 sc
-889 lc
+2070 lf
+570 hf
+244 cr
+95 bs
+84 bc
+86 bb
+38 des
Please do your part to save the world by joining RL alliance [BACON].

bontchev

• "bontchev" started this thread

Date of registration: Dec 14th 2007

Monday, May 7th 2012, 8:12am

It's really difficult to say whether the expeditions have or have not any effect on this discrepancy and whether they do or do not explain it... I've been thinking a lot about the issue. I came up with several cases when such discrepancy could arise, but it is virtually impossible to say what exactly is causing it. Perhaps Kebab could comment on this?

Possible scenarios:

1) Using the scrap merchant. By scrapping part of your fleet, your total military points are reduced but your lost military points aren't. (I haven't used the scap handler, though.)

2) Expedition battles. The Alien and Pirate ships you destroy do not increase your military points destroyed. Probably, those of your ships that are destroyed by them do not increase your lost military points, either.

3) Ships found during expeditions. They do increase your total military points but probably do not increase your military points built.

4) Destroyed defenses. The defenses that are not rebuilt automatically do decrease your total military points. It is not clear to me by how much your military points lost is increased - by the total number of points invested in the destroyed defenses or only by the number of points invested in the defenses that haven't been rebuilt. Perhaps the modification related to the honor points in version 4.* has an impact on this, too. (However, I haven't had any defenses destroyed for a long time.)

Maybe there are other possible scenarios. The only thing that is clear to me, is that the number of military points built minus the number of military points lost does not have to be equal to the total number of military points. But I cannot determine what exactly is causing the discrepancy.

I have been doing a lot of expeditions, indeed. I could post the statistics, if necessary - but they cover only the last 3 weeks or so (because 3 weeks ago I installed an expeditions statistics gathering script) and the military points were introduced much earlier.

NikeJoshua

Tuesday, May 8th 2012, 7:16pm

Current difference for me 238.621.

I can pretty much discount the first 3:
1) I haven't used the scrap merchant
2) I haven't done expeditions in ages (never since V3.0), and even then, it was only 1 SC, which could not account for the difference
3) See 2...
4) This could be the answer actually. A while ago, the difference was only 129.500 points for me. Today i had a ninja on a planet, which resulted in an automatic defense rebuild.
I don't have the exact numbers to run a comparison though...

On a side note, good to see IMNVS giving an ignorant answer again...

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "NikeJoshua" (May 8th 2012, 7:31pm)

This post has already been reported.

davidson18

Date of registration: Jun 20th 2009

Wednesday, May 9th 2012, 6:01pm

Current MP: 1.695.408
Build MP: 2.766.883
Lost MP: 4.100.094

Total: -1.333.211

So yea something is wrong if you lost more than you ever build, but still got positive points.
~In the Beginning, there was Nothing, which Exploded.~

Tenderfoot

Date of registration: Nov 12th 2006

Wednesday, May 9th 2012, 6:24pm

This is (probably) impossible to verify, but here goes:
IIRC, when this new highscore started, nilitary points built and military points lost were set at zero.
As most people already had some ships and/or defense, it would be relatively simple to "lose" more points than were recorded "built".
Then again, I'm most likely wrong.
Regards,
Tenderfoot
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the conditions that surround him... The unreasonable man adapts surrounding conditions to himself... All progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw

Phoenix4264

Thursday, May 10th 2012, 12:00am

Here is an added bit of data from a moonshot I ran yesterday.

My losses were 29 ss, 36 rl, 40 ll and 1 hl. Of that 25 rl, 26ll and the hl were rebuilt. My military points lost went from 31549 to 31636, for an increase of 87 points.

My losses before the rebuilt defenses would have been 36*2+40*2+1*8+29*2.5/2=196.25
My losses after the rebuilt defenses would have been 11*2+14*2+29*2.5/2=86.25

From this I would say the military points lost score only counts defenses that were not rebuilt.

NikeJoshua

Thursday, May 10th 2012, 8:08am

Military points and military points lost indeed act this way. The question is: Does Military points built?
Do you still have the numbers to compare that ranking difference?

Phoenix4264

Thursday, May 10th 2012, 12:56pm

Not for that one, but I have some more moonshots to do so I'll record the numbers for that as well.

Phoenix4264

Friday, May 11th 2012, 3:46am

Update: The moonshots had no effect on military points built, i.e. rebuilt defenses are not counted again on the military points built score.

NikeJoshua

Friday, May 11th 2012, 2:02pm

Well, that blows that theory out of the water...

IPMs maybe then? When they are fired, they are lost on the current military points, and when built should add to Military Built. Anybody know if they count as Military Lost when used?