Pinned FAQ on FA

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Welcome to the Fan Art board's FAQ, if there are any questions you'd like to see in here but aren't PM me and I'll get them added :)

1 Help! My sig won't show up! Why not?

First you must put the image url in between "" (without the ") and second make sure that at the bottom of your edit sig panel the box looks like -

(Thanks to Winchester for the image)

2 I want to get into this whole sig making thing...what programs are there and which is the best?

There are 2 programs that people mostly use, the GIMP and Photoshop (latest version at time of writing is CS2). The GIMP is freeware and PS is not (prices range depending on what version you get, but it can be quite expensive). As far as best goes people have different opinions, but the general consensus is that PS is, it has more functions, they are easier to use, and require less steps to achieve them (so I've heard). But for a free piece of software GIMP is a good place to start if you don't feel like forking out a couple of hundred quid for a hobby.

Links to programs can be found here

3 What does "gmv" mean?

Gmv means Gets my vote.

4 How do I upload an image?

Once you have saved your image go to either <span style="text-decoration: …ww.photobucket.com</span> where you register an account and can upload lots of images into it (although only smaller ones, big images get resized) or <span style="text-decoration: …>www.imageshack.us</span> where you upload an image, almost any size and get given a url.

To upload your image when on those sites click "Browse" find you image, and then hit upload, be patient though as big images can take a while to upload.

5 I found this awesome image but people are saying that it's copyrighted, wtf is that?

Copyrighted simply means that the image is not free for public distribution and use, this means that without written consent from the creator of the piece you are not allowed to use it in sigs/LPs, render it, or save it to your PC. All images on Deviant Art (<span style="text-decoration: …www.deviantart.com</span>) without a "Download to Desktop" button or in a section that is public (such as wallpapers) is copyrighted, and not to be used.

If you dload a render pack, that includes a DA render, do not use the render and contact both the original artist and the person who was distributing the pack.

6 People told me off for voting for sigs in a "Battle" thread, I'm confused

Read the stickies, and you vote in the threads that have the prefix "Voting" you enter a sig you made for a battle in the "Battle" threads.

7 How do I take a screenshot?

Press the "Prt Scr" button next to f12 and above insert, then open paint or any other art program (GIMP, photoshop, whatever) and press ctrl+v to paste it in.

8 What is Terragen and can anyone here teach it to me?

Terragen is a program that creates landscapes, it can take time to render but the results can be stunning. I'm not sure we have any resident Terregeners at the time of writing, but I'm sure google will turn up some tutorials.

9 Wtf is c4d?

c4d is short for Cinema 4d, a program that creates 3d renders for use in LPs or sigs, or just on their own. A simple example of a c4d render is - here and here

10 Where can I find some good tuts and resources?

Apart from our own tut section this thread will help.

11 I don't understand all these abbreviations, can someone explain them to me?

LP - Large Piece
    WIP - Work in Progress
    SotM - Sig of the Month (the competition)
    MoA - Museum of Art
    IMO - In my opinion
    MA - Master Artist
    PS - Photoshop

12 What's a vector?

A vector is a piece of digital art utilising a path or pen tool, usually with bold simple colours and lines, and a simplified look to it.

15 How do I make a sig?

(A weird question I know, but I've been asked this in the past, as has Takashi)

Get yourself a piece of art software, and read up on some beginner tuts.

16 How do I install fonts?

Once you have downloaded your fonts extract them to a folder (doesn't matter where). Now press ctrl+c to copy them and go to C -> Windows -> Fonts and press ctrl+v to paste them in there. Now restart any art programs you have running (PS, GIMP, etc) to make them appear in your font lists.

17 I've got problems with my Allypage ingame, HELP!

Alliances FAQ Holds all your answers to that

18 What's a sprite?

A sprite is a small, often pixelated character from old games consoles, such as the SNES. For example -

You can get more of these little guys at -

<span style="text-decoration: …rite_Rips.zip.html</span>
    <span style="text-decoration: …/HnorableSpritePac</span>
    <span style="text-decoration: …ritePack-4__SS.jpg</span>
    <span style="text-decoration: …20Sprites_Num4.rar</span>
    <span style="text-decoration: …k-Special_Num5.jpg</span>
    (Thanks to .PMI of <span style="text-decoration: …ionalsigleague.com</span> for the packs)

19 How do I install fonts?
    How do you install font?

I hope this helps some people :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Taishi Ci ().