Bullies

• Debate

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What many parents these days fail to realize is that they have to come out the gate running (metaphorically speaking). They can't let a child get away with anything, then try to be extremely strict at a later date (just ask my aunt). If they set a standard and set reasonable limits, especially within the first 5 years of a child's life, the child will learn to respect those limits.

Several key points
      • Don't make empty threats, if you say there will be consequences for an action, follow up.
      • Be consistent, don't let something slide one day that you will punish for the next
      • Set a good example, if you don't want your child to do something, don't do it yourself (big example would be smoking)
      • Keep in mind that you are a parent, not your child's friend. Big difference. Don't worry about making your child like you so much as respect you (that goes for leadership roles in general, "what is right is not always popular")

Just my two cents on parenting. That's how I was raised, and I believe I turned out alright.