Is the new generation sentenced to lonely lives by anti-social effects of the Internet (and other not-in-person ways of communication)?

• Debate

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is the new generation sentenced to lonely lives by anti-social effects of the Internet (and other not-in-person ways of communication)?

Ok, let me start with a copy&paste of my facebook most recent status update - as that’s what started me to think about the whole topic in the first place:

Adam Majchrzak
      Yday, with my ausie housemate, we hit couple clubs - just to check out what the kids are up to nowadays…
      SOUND - weird, broken, psychedelic I’d say, but I rather liked the creativity of dj s
      CROWD - much worse, peeps are closed, introvert, I guess it’s the mobile phone/internet generation, with not much real life contacts…

I really miss the old good times…trance, old skool, all the hugging, snogging, sex in the toilets…people bonding, kissing, smiling at each other, eh…good times :) the extazy was king!
      Now, some of the drugs kids take, are real downers, especially ketamine everyone seemed to be on…(btw do I look like a drug dealer? Cause I was asked by at least several peeps whether I have any K on me…hm)

Eh, I feel like a grandpa…lol…although it was only me (and some barmaid I pulled on to the floor) who stayed dancing until 7am...
      Ok I’ll shut up now :D
      3 hours ago near London

Now, that was only few fresh thoughts after a nice night out but I think that the bigger question is really interesting and worth exploring further.
      Do you think that proliferation of non-personal contacts usually via electronic devices (o-game ingame msgs included ;)) especially in the last decade or so might have a tremendous and not too positive effect on the way a new generation would live their social lives?
      It’s just my hunch and a food for thought to start the discussion here - I’ll come back later when I have a quiet night shift and plenty of time to research the topic from the professional psychologist/therapist point of view.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts
      Your grandpa
      doc polish student
    • Quite an interesting succession of events there, overview.

Communication has surely ceased to being a natural characteristic of our humanoid social hubs. Nowadays, if you want to "bond" with someone, you go to a stripclub. If you want to feel the joys of being on-drugs, you go to rave parties, nightclubs or vicious meetings hosted by a few selected who seem to be opposing against most of today's world, namely anarchists and as the media dumbly describes them, "pro-activists". If you want to get drunk at the possible company of a charming lady, you make your way to a nice cocktail bar, and so on so forth. What does this say? That communication, too, went from being a natural human reaction and in many ways a desired human reaction to a superfluous objective action. Nowadays, the current thought-process in most of the newest's generation minds is but a calculus aiming for a positive estimate between what they want, where they can get it and how likely it is that they will eventually get it; Almost like a robot's equivalence is to its action as it is to its percentage levels. Slowly, humans have started to take the shape of robots and en-reversely likewise, robots that of humans.

Go no further. Let us take iPhone4S (Siri) as an example. As alerting as it may sound, I do sometimes find Siri being considerably blunter than most people I am familiar with. Undoubtedly, humans still hold what makes them so distinct and unique, for the lack of a better word --Their spontaneity. Contrastingly , however, more and more is this characteristic extinct amongst our race and type apathetic society. For instance, why must a human shy away and show signs of great reluctance after being asked whether he'd be willing to share a tender kiss with its opposite sex partner? If you ask Siri the very same, she will --without a split second of hesitation, thinking-process aside-- answer with the utmost honesty and respect. "Yes, I'd be rather flattered to feel your lips touching my glassy lips!" --It is when phones start suggesting the in-comprehensive and unattainable that you start pondering what could have possibility gonne so wrong with human kind that they now need technology and virtual social networks to get that insignificant extra bit of confort and complicity towards or with their correspondent.

I am lucky enough to know the "Old School" kind of people. Lots of socializing, drinking, singing, dancing --sometimes even, for not apparent reason than the simplest human desire to group likeminded individuals whose your time can be shared with rather happily-- and so on. In due time, these very same people I have before mentioned will have grown up and ultimately resgate themselves out of this said "natural human social behaviour" and hide between the naked doors that are scarcely located throughout the defender's "home.

P.S:. Wish I had more time. I've got to go now, though. Will speak to you later?
    • I see nothing wrong with de-socialization. Actually, I think that socialization itself is changing it's definition. I sure do hope so that one day I wont even have to move... As for drugs that guy was talking about, I don't see how are they relevant.
    • This is an interesting subject.
      Even though I didn't really understand the point you were trying to make Tvj (English is my second language). I think that it is true, as Yannbane wrote socialization is changing. The new generation is much more interested in the internet. Now if they're lonely.. I'm not sure. It's like internet has replaced human socialization. It is after all a way of communicating. A lot of people make friends or keep in contact with other people through the internet.

If it has a negative effect on the way new generations live their social life?

Yes, I think so. Personally I spend a lot of my time on the internet and it isn't the same as real life. When you socialize in real life with someone you don't have time to think about an answer for 5 mins . It has to be instantaneous or it will seem weird. So it is negative if you never practice speaking with anyone. You eventually lose social skills.. and I think that we need some social skills to function in real life. You won't always be able to use the internet for communication( or at least not yet). For example I once saw a couple at a restaurant eating one in front of the other and they spent the whole time on their iphones not one word to each other. How is that positive? Never actually talking to one another ...not very healthy for a relationship..

In some ways I think people become more independent with the internet. Maybe too independent of one another. Basically I think¸ virtual socialization will never replace human socialization.

The post was edited 2 times, last by White Fang ().

• @ whitefang, With the example of the couple at a restruant, what if one was deaf and the other wasn't good with sign language yet? I only ask that because a friend of mine met one of his exs through txting off his mates phone. he didn't know she was deaf till he met her and that got him to learn Sign language. but for a month or so, txting and writing was the only way they could communicate properly.

I think that if you stick to just straight text based communication on the internet then yes, it is harmful to peoples social skills as they do get that time to figure out a response and it sort of turns the whole thing into a game where you pick your words careful enough to get your desired effects. Talking to others through live voice chat or video isn't that much worse than phone calls as both don't give you that thinking time and can still be awkward if you do choose to use some thinking time.
      For most of it, it's just the way people communicate is changing and with the internet it is becoming easier for people to get to know others in different parts of the world (I have friends in Australia, England, America, Croatia and a few other locations that I only got to know through these forums).

Overview, with your situation about the club scene, a big problem is that (at least here) less bullcrap is acceptable in a club. Doing drugs or having sex in the bathrooms will get you thrown out on your ass and I doubt people want that sort of thing.You also have to look at the lessons being taught to the generation. Drugs like ectasy are being labelled as pure evil and random sex is extremely bad for you. So in a sense, that isn't the generation being condemmed to loneliness but more civilization being shaped differently.
    • I was presenting a metaphorical comparison, not suggesting it to be done. Indeed, things are progressively "evolving" (herein imposed as an irrefutable consequence to the ample tendencies that evolution, per say, involve --albeit its eventual positive connotations) into new-yet-abstract concepts, forms of communication and the likes. However supportive of evolution and change, I do often find myself wondering what is there to gain from exclusively internet-based communication; Friendships are no longer weighted in value as naturally as they would otherwise, one's integrity is often doubtful and hardly ever recognizable as part of one's behaviour tendencies and patterns, one's emotions decay to the pits of expectation and projection and are no longer legic, and so on so forth.

Although this may rather dramatic, if put in perspective, it really isn't. Granted, our ability to communicate has seen a drastic improvement and ease in accessibility --but, at the cost of what? Quality and acknowledgement seem to have been the most suffering of the whole array of permisses that subside and define a communication term. In all honesty --and although I've grown up-paced with the metaphoric explosion of technology and games-- I very deeply believe kids/teenagers and adults alike would all benefit from having most of their communication on a face-to-face basis as opposed to succumbing to their own machines for hours and hours to count. Playing catch-&-run live is without a doubt far more healthy and rewarding of an activity than catching & killing Call of Duty players, per say. To raise such a statement does however demand for a debate on the definition of concepts, perceptions and connotations therein argumented against or in favour, though. I'd be more than willing to surf into such waters, if interest is shown towards it.

The big question for me is: Why do people almost instantly give in to virtual communication over 'real' communication? My superficial opinion on the matter is that which defends and argues that against the nature and/or desire behind communication nowadays. In my eyes, communication has grown to being more than a simple social act --In fact, most of the communication that is had nowadays is crudely avoid of the social attributes therefrom implicit. It's became an obsolete tyranny of the instant-compensation, instant-egoboost, instant-recognition needing ones. It is a trip for the better and easier underwhelming sense of achievement...since our world as it is, lacks so greatly on achievement-based activities.

Tvj