Sentient AI, the Impending Horizon (Responsible or Irresponsible) + All the Implications

• Debate

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Sentient AI, the Impending Horizon (Responsible or Irresponsible) + All the Implications

For the last decade AI technology has progressed staggeringly. There's discussion in terms of use for military applications, retail, and Internet bases. The expansion of AI technology since Big Blue makes various products possible, including the facilitation of our PCs, phones, and cars. Due to the pending nature of such technology and its application, does it seem irresponsible or responsible to develop technology such as this?

What bothers me is the concept that "we're creating sentient AI." If an existential being has sentience, doesn't that make it a qualified individual of independent thought processes? As such, are we not creating new life rather than inventing a new technology?

Trouble wrote:

Sounds like an expert clicker to me :D

Doc Brown wrote:

I have read several of your posts elsewhere over a number of years. I find your mental state to be disturbing and you probably need professional help.
      What you write in the spam section doesn't have much impact on the game as a whole ... But I don't like to see you attempting to influence normal players in universe 1.
    • Mmm... I was hoping the troll response would have come from somebody else, not you NMA. Almost drives me back to a concept I've been dogging for months now; something, something, ambiguity.

Whatever the case:

Skynet under what premise? (Since I'd hate your response to a Debate thread to qualify as a spam post; looking at you mods.)

Trouble wrote:

Doc Brown wrote:

I have read several of your posts elsewhere over a number of years. I find your mental state to be disturbing and you probably need professional help.
      What you write in the spam section doesn't have much impact on the game as a whole ... But I don't like to see you attempting to influence normal players in universe 1.
    • I was expecting an answer to that I could then reply ^^

AI, if it can rewrite itself, it too dangerous because it could just react unpredictable. So is AI with weapons, how do you tell an AI what do attack and what not? What would an AI do if you have enemys hiding in a school with children?

Another example are youtubes suggestions, they are done by an AI or neural network, however you want to call it. It is programmed to keep users on the website and it does it by suggesting more and more extrem videos. Or videos that lean towards something, you could watch a documentary about the IS and end up on recuting videos from the IS. So much on AI in general.

Now to an AI that has feelings: Who would really want that? Thats a very bad idea, it wouldn't be controllable and could act weird. Say something wrong and it will act totally weird. It could decide that all forms of life are equall and try to give earth back the balance, then it would hate a lot of humans.

TL;DR: AI that can rewrite itself or feel is a really bad idea.

Board Admin
      OGame-Tech Chief
    • Oh, you mean the algorithm bases for suggested video content? I believe that's a retention AI. Sadly, out of the thousands of "Recommended" videos, I've only seen two or three that actually were of relevance to me. Which begs the question: Are humans too stupid and irresponsible to program an effective non-sentient AI, or is that just another decade out?

[hr]

In reference to the tangent discussion; funny how "something-something, ambiguity, something-something, benefits something-something team members." It isn't something I'm dropping. - End tangent

Trouble wrote:

Doc Brown wrote:

• I think this says it all... watch out cause they will surely destroy us all :D
      “War does not determine who is right — only who is left.”

GMOD but main sections are Polaris - Yildun, General and the SpamBoard
      My S/MOD is Rav3n so go annoy him if I have angered you!
    • So if you remember Data from Star Trek he wanted to have feelings too, which I remember rooting for him to obtain his goal. I don’t see an issue with it so long as the AI’s maybe had 1 underlying rule that they aren’t allowed to harm humans or humanity.

Now as far as using AI in war (which certainly they would do) I am definitely against having feelings or against not having a manual control that can be “ driven” by a real human and can’t be cut off by the AI. War in general has already become way less personal meaning today instead of fighting in the trenches you just kill from an office sitting half way around the world watching a computer screen.
      “War does not determine who is right — only who is left.”

GMOD but main sections are Polaris - Yildun, General and the SpamBoard
      My S/MOD is Rav3n so go annoy him if I have angered you!