oGame's Negative Regression

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• oGame's Negative Regression

Hi,

I've played oGame since uni 5. I've now played in the following uni's (from start): Uni 5, Uni 12, Uni 35 (prOgame as it was known), Spica, Wasat & maybe a couple others I've forgotten about. This is my experience of oGame over the years:

Forums:

The forums have had two major versions for me. The past one and the current one. The current one is still pretty old these days and personally I never understood the forum "upgrade". It removed a lot of what made the forums good. A few points regarding it:

- Text is too big
      - Text is too cluttered
      - Borders / Edges are too rounded.
      - It's horrible to browse on mobile
      - New forum sitemap makes no sense, everything is confusing and hard to find.

The forums took a massive step back in progression from the old design to the new one. If you still have the data, refer to the active accounts back then and now and I'm sure you'll see how dead the boards are now. You can argue this is because of the loss of player base, but I'll address that now below.

Game

- The obvious element in the room to discuss is Dark Matter and officers. You killed the game off here, end of discussion. You all know it and it's super sad to see the excuses the team pushes out - "companies gotta make money etc". Of course they do, but you definitely didn't have to monetise the game to the level it now is.
      - Commander was enough, officers are unnecessary and pay to win. This is where the skilled players who were poor left oGame. Luckily you have a player base who is now happy to buy stupid amounts, despite that player base being TINY in comparison to what it used to be in the past. Hats off to the skilled top players still playing without spending any money.
      - I'm playing oGame UK yet I can't find a SINGLE NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKING PERSON ANYWHERE. Everything is dominated by the balkan demographic. Everyone talks to me as if I'm an idiot for sending a english message ingame these days. There are disadvantages with playing against different time zone based players when the game is based on time. This isn't how a multi-country based game should work.
      - The culture asccociated with oGame is toxic and these days is all the same, everyone trash talks, flaming etc. I've seen mods in the past on forums who are in a lot of cases the flamers and trash talkers. No-one can communicate without being civil or respectful to their speaking to, it's quite frankly embarrassing.
      - Moons used to be rare, answer? just buy them now. Wait for an event to do a MS at 40%, those events used to be rare!
      - Being attacked, answer? DM ninja that!
      - Got crashed and have no recs to grab that debris, answer? Insta-build them.
      - Cheating inner ring. I've been part of some top alliances, the cheating is so rife it is painful. People bot constantly, script and never get banned. It takes 10 seconds to google the most popular ogame botting tool. Another 5 minutes and it's installed and ready to go. It's only been out 7 years and you guys still can't detect it and ban them!
      - New uni already, answer? BUY SOME DM AND BE TOP 100

Overall, as a player of over a decade - this game is dead, done and dusted. Why do I care? Because I loved oGame, it was part of my childhood growing up essentially, as sad as that is, and I want to see it succeed. I just wish some higher ups would see that a model that rewards the core player base would keep retention high and more people likely buying commander. You don't need all this stupid new monetised rubbish... well you do if you want to kill the player base, so I guess keep that up!
    • What was your username in uni 5 :D damn that uni was good. Totally agree with many points. There was an account in zibal with hyper 15!! only had 4 million points. Yet it's a "grey area" how they're cheating so they effectively avoid the ban. You probably know them well if you've played spica :D it's our lovable chinese friends :D

I'm also a native english speaker :D
    • Nice text, I can't agree more. Just one thing bothered me, and that is, I am from balkan and I speak best way I can. Our server have lower number of players then yours so we come here and play. But if you think about how many players from balkan play here then you realize that we are those numbers ;) so let's drink to that :beer:
    • Tony Montana wrote:

What was your username in uni 5 :D damn that uni was good. Totally agree with many points. There was an account in zibal with hyper 15!! only had 4 million points. Yet it's a "grey area" how they're cheating so they effectively avoid the ban. You probably know them well if you've played spica :D it's our lovable chinese friends :D

I'm also a native english speaker :D

Insomnia, same as it was on Uni 12. Uni 12 was my favourite of all to play, through the saga of Ninja alliance dominating. I was part of TU (The Undead) who were essentially number 2 in rivaling Ninja! Those were the days of awesome players like 'Splash' if anyone remembers him!

For sure @Tony - I see your name here, there and everywhere, it's nice to see you active. Yeah I know all about the Spica drama lol, that uni was super toxic, not just for cheating, but for a massive group of flamers and abusive idiots. Are you playing Aquarius now? (I'm there but flying as low under the radar as possible currently)

InvaderZerk wrote:

Nice text, I can't agree more. Just one thing bothered me, and that is, I am from balkan and I speak best way I can. Our server have lower number of players then yours so we come here and play. But if you think about how many players from balkan play here then you realize that we are those numbers ;) so let's drink to that :beer:

You're totally right man, you do make up the entire player base! I'm greatful for that and got no issue with you being here, I just want to see the higher up's aim at recruiting a fresh UK player base for their UK server :)
    • Yeah i've been here far too long lol. But i like the game. Can't play properly due to work commitments, but some ogame is better than none :D

Yeah spica was rife with the cheating, pushing and dirty tactics, still is by all accounts :D one of the main problems is a lot of the cheaters buy a lot of dm. So unfortunately, from a business perspective - you're not going to ban your biggest customers. So they keep getting away with it!
    • You love Ogame, GameForge loves money; which is more important?

Trouble wrote:

Sounds like an expert clicker to me :D

Doc Brown wrote:

I have read several of your posts elsewhere over a number of years. I find your mental state to be disturbing and you probably need professional help.
      What you write in the spam section doesn't have much impact on the game as a whole ... But I don't like to see you attempting to influence normal players in universe 1.
    • Joe wrote:

- I'm playing oGame UK yet I can't find a SINGLE NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKING PERSON ANYWHERE. Everything is dominated by the balkan demographic. Everyone talks to me as if I'm an idiot for sending a english message ingame these days. There are disadvantages with playing against different time zone based players when the game is based on time. This isn't how a multi-country based game should work.
      I have played and play with quite a few people from UK,also i have never seen anyone asking me to speak blakan like you say,it seem's to me a bit far stretched,also ingame i always speak in english and so do my ally's no matter the country we come from,so where is that coming from i have no idea,honestly it look's like an attack to the balkan player's and really i do not understand what you would wan't gameforge to do?ban the foreign player's cause here is UK domain?or what?be serious....
      Display Spoiler
      Univ Japetus - On
      Hof's - 146
      Ninja's - 7
      Adv Solo - 66
      Adv Acs - 15
      Rip Kill - 1438
      To 10 Acs - 12
      Top 10 Solo - 8
      New Nr. 1 Hit Acs - 1
      New Nr. 1 Hit Solo - 1
      Univ Betelgeuse.org - On
      Hof's - 33
      Ninja - 6
      RipKill - 30
      Univ40 - Off
      Hof’s – 170
      Adv Solo – 21
      Adv Acs – 11
      Rip Kill – 270
      Top 10 Solo – 1
      Top 10 Acs - 6
      New Nr.1 Hits - 3

• blondu wrote:

Joe wrote:

I have played and play with quite a few people from UK,also i have never seen anyone asking me to speak blakan like you say,it seem's to me a bit far stretched,also ingame i always speak in english and so do my ally's no matter the country we come from,so where is that coming from i have no idea,honestly it look's like an attack to the balkan player's and really i do not understand what you would wan't gameforge to do?ban the foreign player's cause here is UK domain?or what?be serious....

If you read the rest of the thread in response to another Balkan player, you'll realise that is clearly not the case. Spica and Wasat especially, I used to receive TONS of non-english messages in game. I get that you're supposed to report them, but honestly would rather not see a player banned for speaking their language!

The point I'm making is, Gameforge needs to actively recruit a player base that is more UK based, as it is the UK server after all. I'm not saying get rid of Balkan players, quite the opposite as they do make the majority of the player base.

But enough of that, don't make this about that, this thread is in regards to the slow degradation of oGame as a whole over the years.
    • i don't think it matters where the players come from, so long as they are here, and they are playing.

i think UK server attracts a diverse range of nationalities because many people have English as a second language.

i was in a balkans alliance for a while. the circs and alliance banter were all in balkans, but they would happily translate if i asked them to.

i'm surprised this has come up as an issue.
      TOP 1 (solo) x 2 (ACS) x 1
      TOP 10 (solo) x 3 (ACS) x 9
      Super Adv x 61
      Adv x 282
      Basic x 1693

RIP KILLS 6281

• baal wrote:

i don't think it matters where the players come from, so long as they are here, and they are playing.

i think UK server attracts a diverse range of nationalities because many people have English as a second language.

i was in a balkans alliance for a while. the circs and alliance banter were all in balkans, but they would happily translate if i asked them to.

i'm surprised this has come up as an issue.

Read above, that is not the issue. The issue is oGame...
    • Joe wrote:

If you read the rest of the thread
      You're assuming that i haven't when i did...making assumtion's probably got you to where you're at...i haven't replyed to the other point's because they have been discused a hundred times in a million diff thread's.While the subject i replyed to upper was a new one and unheard of...
      Display Spoiler
      Univ Japetus - On
      Hof's - 146
      Ninja's - 7
      Adv Solo - 66
      Adv Acs - 15
      Rip Kill - 1438
      To 10 Acs - 12
      Top 10 Solo - 8
      New Nr. 1 Hit Acs - 1
      New Nr. 1 Hit Solo - 1
      Univ Betelgeuse.org - On
      Hof's - 33
      Ninja - 6
      RipKill - 30
      Univ40 - Off
      Hof’s – 170
      Adv Solo – 21
      Adv Acs – 11
      Rip Kill – 270
      Top 10 Solo – 1
      Top 10 Acs - 6
      New Nr.1 Hits - 3

• blondu wrote:

Joe wrote:

If you read the rest of the thread
      You're assuming that i haven't when i did...making assumtion's probably got you to where you're at...i haven't replyed to the other point's because they have been discused a hundred times in a million diff thread's.While the subject i replyed to upper was a new one and unheard of...

"making assumtion's probably got you to where you're at." - What on earth are you talking about? Where am I at? There is no logic or point to this.

Your question / point was answered in the rest of the thread, so you aren't contributing to the discussion now. I'd really appreciate it if you don't have anything to add in regards to the initial points then please don't bother posting.
    • Joe wrote:

What on earth are you talking about? Where am I at? There is no logic or point to this.

Joe wrote:

Everyone talks to me as if I'm an idiot for sending a english message ingame these days.
      that's where it got you to....
      Display Spoiler
      Univ Japetus - On
      Hof's - 146
      Ninja's - 7
      Adv Solo - 66
      Adv Acs - 15
      Rip Kill - 1438
      To 10 Acs - 12
      Top 10 Solo - 8
      New Nr. 1 Hit Acs - 1
      New Nr. 1 Hit Solo - 1
      Univ Betelgeuse.org - On
      Hof's - 33
      Ninja - 6
      RipKill - 30
      Univ40 - Off
      Hof’s – 170
      Adv Solo – 21
      Adv Acs – 11
      Rip Kill – 270
      Top 10 Solo – 1
      Top 10 Acs - 6
      New Nr.1 Hits - 3

• agree with blondu

the deterioration of ogame has been discussed hundreds of times. but your other remarks were something we don't usually have to deal with in this multi national game.
      TOP 1 (solo) x 2 (ACS) x 1
      TOP 10 (solo) x 3 (ACS) x 9
      Super Adv x 61
      Adv x 282
      Basic x 1693

RIP KILLS 6281

• baal wrote:

agree with blondu

the deterioration of ogame has been discussed hundreds of times. but your other remarks were something we don't usually have to deal with in this multi national game.

I'm sure it has been discussed before. But the point of discussion is to invoke action, something which hasn't ever happened and also has not ever been acknowledged. As players we are responsible to create this discussion regardless if it has happened before, as companies don't bend without pressure.
    • To be honest, nobody is wrong here, all make valid points.

There are people who never use English. Some use "Google speak" which 9 times out of 10 doesn't make sense. Some use their native language regardless - there is one guy who persists in using Arabic script.

So yes, there is something to be said for enforcing the use of English.

As for the other comments by Joe - We have flogged this horse to death over the past couple of years and have made no impact whatsoever on GF's thinking.

They probably don't care - just prepared to milk the DM till the game disappears into a black hole.

Even if they did care, I suspect GF doesn't have the time, energy or resource to restructure the game. There are many little bugs that they haven't bothered to fix.

The only slight cause for celebration would be the opportunity to vote on spec changes. Is this the beginning of a new approach, or a sop to keep us happy until the inevitable disappearance of the game, remains to be seen.

There have been countless posts with suggestions of how to improve the game, none of which have been accepted, so beating the same path again would, I suggest, be a waste of time until such time as GF shows interest and invites input.
      ~The strong take from the weak, but the smart take from the strong~

U44/Quant/Jup/Betel HOF's = 570~ ~ ~475 Solo [10 Top 10] / 95 ACS [4 x #1 + 11 Top 10]
      ~~ RIP 6827+
    • On the other side, GF shutted down ogame.rs years ago and everyone moved here when Jupiter opened :)

In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity.
    • Vulcan_558 wrote:

To be honest, nobody is wrong here, all make valid points.

There are people who never use English. Some use "Google speak" which 9 times out of 10 doesn't make sense. Some use their native language regardless - there is one guy who persists in using Arabic script.

So yes, there is something to be said for enforcing the use of English.

As for the other comments by Joe - We have flogged this horse to death over the past couple of years and have made no impact whatsoever on GF's thinking.

They probably don't care - just prepared to milk the DM till the game disappears into a black hole.

Even if they did care, I suspect GF doesn't have the time, energy or resource to restructure the game. There are many little bugs that they haven't bothered to fix.

The only slight cause for celebration would be the opportunity to vote on spec changes. Is this the beginning of a new approach, or a sop to keep us happy until the inevitable disappearance of the game, remains to be seen.

There have been countless posts with suggestions of how to improve the game, none of which have been accepted, so beating the same path again would, I suggest, be a waste of time until such time as GF shows interest and invites input.

You're totally right man. Maybe I am wasting my breath, I just wanted to keep the conversation fresh in any hope that one day GF will either realise where they messed up or actually does take action. I won't hold my breath, as it's a big hope!
    • I can concur on your remarks here Joe.

I have been playing this game for decade...not lately cause its dead for long time...after abusing dm .....
      As I remember 8 years ago when i was suggestion eco with more speed, or fleet.. the gameforge answered (better to say their moderators) said it is not possible to do that...but what happened years later...look it can..
      i had a suggestion for multi lang. uni, cause there are too many new unis all over, org, us, de.fr.. etc...and not enough players
      take example this new uni on org, after 2 weeks there are less then 600 active players..... that is a dead uni already...

as gamforge went on totally other way..to abuse..dm and take as much money with no effort develop this game any more...
      they could of made this game... a great game as it use to be... use dm only for commander..and develop something new.. like skins for planets..moons or something..but to leave it to be like a far play game..not a pay to win..with buying ress, instantubuilds..and other crap.. but oh well we know the story here...
      lets open new uni every 2 month and take 15-20k euros per uni....and again and again... while that amount would be less and less....

instead they could of make that game much much better and popular..and earn even more with better strategy...here..90% players left..of the same reasone.. DM abuse...and lack of players..

My suggestion is to make a special uni, announce it at least 2 month ahead.... no DM use.... maybe only officers... cause..lets face it with office this game is what it should be....
      or put like 10euros for start the uni...and no DM at all, and everybody has officers.
      Then they will see how fast they will fill up the uni with players.... (like Andromeda as i remembered it was filled in 24 hours..with 15kplayers)...

but as this posts and hundreds others.....nobody important for decisions will read..or wont care....

rip ogame.... :/