Server setting changes

• Misc

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Server setting changes

I know its early in the universe, but I'm sick and bored, and was browsing other unis.

I wrote a two pages essay but then decided to keep short :

In general our uni is dying faster than other unis. We will be merged probably sooner and crashed in any other uni.

Now I know we all enjoy the slow pace and the peace, this is why I think something like changing our eco X2 or X3 is suitable. Fleet speed is what grant us the peace mostly.

Yep, just wanted to hear some opinions about it.

Cheers

Uni2 - Uni 12 - Andromeda - Retired.

Dorado - Active.

• Keep it low and slow...it's the only reason I came back was to play 1x speed and eco. I don't play speed unis.

Game Forge doesn't really care either way so I'll probably wind up quitting if they make changes to the format.

But, if we have any say in it I'd recommend that instead of the usual merge with one target uni and multiple exodus unis they make Dorado a permanent target uni for anyone that is tired of speed and wants to slow things down. Just put a common sense approach to points equality/averages so we don't get a crazy point/fleet disparity like we've seen happen in other target unis that merged speed unis with old 1x speed unis.

Stay thirsty...and sell me all your deut :)

• Cathedral wrote:

Keep it low and slow...it's the only reason I came back was to play 1x speed and eco. I don't play speed unis.

Game Forge doesn't really care either way so I'll probably wind up quitting if they make changes to the format.

But, if we have any say in it I'd recommend that instead of the usual merge with one target uni and multiple exodus unis they make Dorado a permanent target uni for anyone that is tired of speed and wants to slow things down. Just put a common sense approach to points equality/averages so we don't get a crazy point/fleet disparity like we've seen happen in other target unis that merged speed unis with old 1x speed unis.

Well, you have a point, but I would also argue X2 won't make big difference, we will still be slowed paced uni, but it would give us some chance

Uni2 - Uni 12 - Andromeda - Retired.

Dorado - Active.
    • Dragon wrote:

I know its early in the universe, but I'm sick and bored, and was browsing other unis.

I wrote a two pages essay but then decided to keep short :

In general our uni is dying faster than other unis. We will be merged probably sooner and crashed in any other uni.

Now I know we all enjoy the slow pace and the peace, this is why I think something like changing our eco X2 or X3 is suitable. Fleet speed is what grant us the peace mostly.

Yep, just wanted to hear some opinions about it.

Cheers
      bazz ofjf,if u don't like,wait for speed...I m fine whit this slow uni eco 1

dont make me angry...
      Proud to be a Serb!!
      See you in Space...
    • Dragon wrote:

Well, you have a point, but I would also argue X2 won't make big difference, we will still be slowed paced uni, but it would give us some chance

A chance to do what and for who?

At the end of the day, it really won't do much for gaining points as we'll all still be progressing at the same rate. What it would lead to is more turtles as people would have to build more defense to protect their overnight RES production from being farmed...which just negates the whole point of increased ECO anyways. You'd also see fleet strength skyrocket to the stratosphere...look at the ECO scores right now, most of the people with high ECO are also running the larger more powerful fleets as well. Do you really want me to have 2X ECO with my mines and the fleet I already have?

OGame is a pyramid scheme where they "try" to get everyone to compete to be at the pinnacle. But what's the point? You're number one for a day, a month, a year...whatever. It's not like there is a high score table somewhere where your legend is kept in perpetuity.

Hardly anyone remembers the players from the old days...everyone wants to be amazed by the sheer numbers of large fleets with huge CRs that cause the servers to hiccup that were made in most part thanks to speed. Young whipper snappers will never understand the struggle of having to build up a fleet in a slow uni with no officers or DM; where an advanced hit was a rare thing and not an every day occurrence like we see in the speed unis. It's funny to me when I see people from speed unis brag about their record when they try to compare themselves to the old guard...guys like Graf Zahl, Pinky, Eddie, etc. The merges didn't exactly go well for them...but in their prime and in their respective unis they reigned supreme.

It was a risk playing in 1x uni and everyone should have known that before coming in that it was gonna be slow. People have been spoiled by years and years of speed unis ever since the demise of the numbered unis that playing 1x is just dreadful to them. People complained about speed and DM abuse and GF made a single speed uni with no DM and it died a lot quicker than this one has died off so I'm actually kind of surprised they even agreed to Dorado.

People also should have been aware of the risk of people using a lot of DM (and we all know how much I <3 me some DM)...and from yesterdays adventures with instant building defenses and ninjas that took place I'd say there are a lot more people that <3 them some DM than they let on :whistling: . Or what about how many DFs have been lost because of instant build REC? That's all part of the game now and you're just :headbanging: to complain about it because it is what it is. DM definitely accelerated growth and in a 1x it really does amplify it' effects.

It is funny though when people complain about my use of DM...you're all green to me, so how does it affect you again? Enjoy your more fruitful and rewarding expos; you're welcome.

I think people just have to learn to accept that this is going to be a slow paced uni, it's a retirement mecca for people that want to do other things in life than just login every 15 minutes to makes sure no one has popped a moon, farmed them dry, and gobbled up a fleet.

I remember the heart ache people were having when you couldn't play on certain makes and models of mobile phones (or browsers on phones)...playing on my old Blackberry is probably what lead to me needing glasses :crazy: Or heck, who remembers when they restricted people from certain countries playing .org altogether because they'd been playing OGame for years before .org was ever developed...
    • Did you miss the uni's description buddy? It clearly said 1X Eco 1X Fleet speed. :complaingrumble:

As far your concern about the fast decline of the uni, every uni dies. Particularly this one was born to die fast because it requires a huge investment of time and patience to cope with the regular eco and fleet speed. And i say regular only because those factors don't boost neither fleeters or miners. Unfortunately the only thing we can do to prevent that is to promote the game by ourselves, since GF chose to chew on recycled unis rather than advertise the game.

Enjoy it while it lasts and hope we'll be a target uni like pagan suggested. I really doubt it though.
    • Black Velvet wrote:

Did you miss the uni's description buddy? It clearly said 1X Eco 1X Fleet speed. :complaingrumble:

As far your concern about the fast decline of the uni, every uni dies. Particularly this one was born to die fast because it requires a huge investment of time and patience to cope with the regular eco and fleet speed. And i say regular only because those factors don't boost neither fleeters or miners. Unfortunately the only thing we can do to prevent that is to promote the game by ourselves, since GF chose to chew on recycled unis rather than advertise the game.

Enjoy it while it lasts and hope we'll be a target uni like pagan suggested. I really doubt it though.
      why cant I like this post more than one time? I give this post at least 2 thumbs fresh, it is tip top of the right answer
      slow down the uni like i said but please no more another faster anything
    • Cathedral wrote:

Keep it low and slow...it's the only reason I came back was to play 1x speed and eco. I don't play speed unis.

well you should be aware my friend that you have double points then 2nd player on server.
      when someone new comes on server and sees that he thinks why would i even start here its x1 i' m never gonna catch him he is already too big.. most of people play for highscore and they don't treat this game like just a game.. unless u go to V mode after reaching 1M points you and your pay to win strategy showed us all how we should play it.
    • Ali-G wrote:

Cathedral wrote:

well you should be aware my friend that you have double points then 2nd player on server.when someone new comes on server and sees that he thinks why would i even start here its x1 i' m never gonna catch him he is already too big.. most of people play for highscore and they don't treat this game like just a game.. unless u go to V mode after reaching 1M points you and your pay to win strategy showed us all how we should play it.
      This is the old "you spend too much money on dark matter" complaint again? I thought since you quit Dorado you would finally give that up...
      I don't buy ANY dark matter. Yet I don't complain about it. But I think if you want to complain you need to at least not buy it yourself, otherwise it's just a complaint that you don't have as much money as him. . I don't compare myself with Pagan's points or really anyone in the top 20, because what I don't spend in money, I have to make up for in time. I certainly won't quit because I "Can't Catch him". Like he said, he's created a different problem for himself, in that much of the universe is green to him. Has to trade in Many targets to get the top spot so being number 1 has it's drawbacks.
    • Ali-G wrote:

well you should be aware my friend that you have double points then 2nd player on server.when someone new comes on server and sees that he thinks why would i even start here its x1 i' m never gonna catch him he is already too big.. most of people play for highscore and they don't treat this game like just a game.. unless u go to V mode after reaching 1M points you and your pay to win strategy showed us all how we should play it.
      I think we can stop quoting my GIF images or this is going to be a really long thread...lol.

Yes, I am double in points than the next player at the moment. But I know from discussing progression and techniques with other players we operate differently. I won't speak for anyone else but me though.

DM isn't the be-all-end-all for my points.

It was certainly a catalyst. And it became a complementary factor. A catalyst in that I wanted to get raiding right away so cruisers and small cargoes were a must initially, along with research for more fleet slots, better speed, combat techs, and more colony slots. More raids, equals more RES coming in. More colonies equals more mines producing RES + the added benefit of increased number of expos that you can perform. So boosting astro as far as I could to get to 8 colonies was a must to get my RES production up. That was one of my key priorities.

I also raid inactive accounts non-stop throughout the day and I launch 4 expos fleets 4 to 5 times per day at least. I also hunt occasionally and I'll take profit where I can get it.

For some reason, people think raiding inactives is beneath them...IMO empty cargo ships and unused fleet slots are lost profits. Same thing with expos, people think they're just going to run into pirates, aliens, and black holes all day so why bother. But, f you do it right, pirates are 0 losses, aliens usually aren't that bad, and I've only encountered black holes twice since I started. Other than that, I've made a ton of RES on expos from gathering RES and adding ships. I have 2K+ probes now...all from EXPO, I haven't had to buy probes since I started doing expos.

Because I got 8 colonies as quickly as I did (thanks to DM) I was able to get more mines faster than most of the other players while also building ships because I was complementing RES production from a variety of sources...if you want to grow, you have to vary your RES production portfolio. DM, mines, raids, fleet crashing, and expo all working together + the most important factor; time. A lot of you NoEmo players are playing multiple unis. In fact, we have a lot of players in this uni that are in uni 1, Quantum, Cosmos, Virgo, and Europa and aren't 100% committed to Dorado.

I am only active in one uni, this one. So it has my undivided attention...and I study it and it's players carefully. I don't sat bash and I will rarely launch unless there is profit to be had as I don't need a large CR w/o profit to have fun...the thrill of the hunt can be somewhat exciting, but the reward is the means to an end and if the benefit doesn't outweigh the risks chances are I am saving the fuel and time to do something more productive.

PS: Still not banned :)
    • Hello.
      I don't even know how it is to play in a "fast universe", so for me this is the normal speed. Please don't change it. Worst case scenario 150 people will stay (the ones that are active already probably) and we will just do a massive ACS to bring down Pagan...
    • Hello,

Actually there might be a small point in changing server settings.

I also (like quite a lot of people before me) like the slow fleet speed and slow uni. It actually enables me to fleetsave normally over normal distances and is what I was used to in old unis.

However, changing eco sped might be benefitial. But not just changing it for everybody. Might be better to change it in relation to top player points (sorry Pagan). For example, if a player has 1/5 of top player points, his eco changes to x2. If player has 1/10 of top players points, his eco changes to x3. If player has 1/20 of top player points, his eco changes to x4. In this way, late comers would actually have a possibility to compete in a reasonable amount of time (not taking years to catch up to lets say top 100). And also, any fleetcrash would be even easier to rebuild (I have seen players having there fleets crashed, getting a moon in the process, and quiting :S ).

But, this is just thought food to think over....
    • Valeyard wrote:

Hello,

I also (like quite a lot of people before me) like the slow fleet speed and slow uni. It actually enables me to fleetsave normally over normal distances and is what I was used to in old unis.

However, changing eco sped might be benefitial. But not just changing it for everybody. Might be better to change it in relation to top player points (sorry Pagan). For example, if a player has 1/5 of top player points, his eco changes to x2. If player has 1/10 of top players points, his eco changes to x3. If player has 1/20 of top player points, his eco changes to x4. In this way, late comers would actually have a possibility to compete in a reasonable amount of time (not taking years to catch up to lets say top 100). And also, any fleetcrash would be even easier to rebuild (I have seen players having there fleets crashed, getting a moon in the process, and quiting :S ).

surely this idea would be better in a 'what i would like to see in the next new uni' rather than adding to the discussion on an existing uni that a lot of people joined because of the slow settings.

Meh, join somewhere then try to change it is madness
    • Kek wrote:

Valeyard wrote:

Hello,

surely this idea would be better in a 'what i would like to see in the next new uni' rather than adding to the discussion on an existing uni that a lot of people joined because of the slow settings.
      Meh, join somewhere then try to change it is madness
      Touche. Excellent point.
    • Valeyard wrote:

Kek wrote:

Valeyard wrote:

Hello,

surely this idea would be better in a 'what i would like to see in the next new uni' rather than adding to the discussion on an existing uni that a lot of people joined because of the slow settings.Meh, join somewhere then try to change it is madness
      Touche. Excellent point.
      I have a better idea! It would be brilliant if we forced higher ranked players send a percentage of their daily/monthly production to the people in the bottom part of the ranks! That way we can all have equal growth and therefore we can spend the rest of our days with our comrades somewhere in Cuba!
      Remember it's essential we think that way only in browser games and not in real life! Who wants everybody to have a chance in life after all? Right???
    • Black Velvet wrote:

I have a better idea! It would be brilliant if we forced higher ranked players send a percentage of their daily/monthly production to the people in the bottom part of the ranks! That way we can all have equal growth and therefore we can spend the rest of our days with our comrades somewhere in Cuba!Remember it's essential we think that way only in browser games and not in real life! Who wants everybody to have a chance in life after all? Right???
      I love Cuba!

Display Spoiler
      Went there recently on a honeymoon/cultural immersion experience. Economically it's like everywhere else in the sense that you will always have the "haves" and the "have nots". More so now that they're allowing foreign investors (provided you marry a Cuban) to open private businesses (and you're not American). The "Glorious Revolution" didn't really divvy things up quite like people think they did back when Castro took over. Foreigners were expelled, private businesses were nationalized, and private property was...haphazardly seized/managed.

If you owned a home, and you were Cuban...you could keep the home. That's why there are still people that own large homes/mansions there. But to supplement income most of those are air bnb and also have cafes and/or restaurants in them.

If you owned multiple homes, you could only keep one and rest went to the government.

If you owned an apartment building, you could keep one apartment but the rest of them went to the government to manage.

Now, the problem then was that the government took all those homes they acquired and starting leasing (sort of) homes to people...but since they didn't own them, they didn't care about them and wouldn't invest anything in their maintenance, upkeep, renovations, etc. And the government wasn't because they couldn't afford to.

So when you visit, you can tell who owns their casa and who has a casa provided by the government because they've either been well maintained or become run down.

If you do go visit, don't stay in a hotel...they are really run down and services are not consistent. Stay at a private casa that you can find on Air B n B or something. Ours was amazing...

The cars are something to see. Lots of old '50s cars up until the embargo in '59. But...they're not what they seem. They might like look like American classics from the '50s but underneath they usually have motors, transmissions, and rear ends from tractors, trucks, military vehicles, etc. And most of the convertibles weren't even convertibles (or even offered as a convertible from the manufacturer), they were chopped off. But they put a lot of work into them to make them pretty and comfortable to cruise around Havana in. Some of them are starting to transplant Mercedes motors into them now that Mercedes was allowed to open a parts distribution center and used truck store there.

It's an interesting place, trapped in a mid-century modern USA in a lot of aspects. I expected to see a lot of anti-USA propaganda, but it was non-existent aside from some artwork in the museum.

The Ernest Hemingway house is freaking awesome...still has his old yacht there. And it's all in amazing condition as if he just left it. The National Hotel was okay, the bar is the biggest draw to say you had a drink where the Mafioso used to party.

The currency is a mess though, between the CUP and the CUC and where and when you can use which one gets a little confusing. Add to that the huge disparity in pay that people get when they work in Cuba for a foreign government (like an embassy job) or they have family that lives abroad and supplements their income (a little goes a long way in Cuba). I met so many doctors that were driving cabs because they make more money as a cab driver.

No crime. Virtually non-existent. We would go partying every night, hitting bars, clubs, the sea wall, etc. and stumble back to the casa knee walking drunk through the darkest corners of Havana and no one messes with you. Some of the friendliest people I've met on this planet.

And Venezuela is really screwing things up for them, kinda of strange how much anti-Venezuelan, anti-China, and anti-Russia sentiments there were as compared to Europe or North America among the people. China seems to be trying to smooth things over though as they are investing in some properties and oil...but Cubans feel like they are trying to screw them over with the oil. And that's a huge concern because right now most of the gas coming into Cuba is subsidized by Venezuela...and because Venezuela's refining is garbage right now they are having to buy gas with IOUs of oil to the people the are buying the gas from to give to Cuba to meet their obligations they made to Cuba. It's a mess...there was a lot of enthusiasm when Obama was improving relations, but with Trump there is a lot of worry that things will just revert back to how they were.

And if Trump tries to wag the dog for the 2020 election by going full steam ahead with supporting a Venezuelan coup de tat or flat out invasion it's gonna get nasty.