Server setting changes

• Misc

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dragon wrote:

Well, you have a point, but I would also argue X2 won't make big difference, we will still be slowed paced uni, but it would give us some chance
      well, the increse from 1x to x2 would make much more difference than increasing from x2 tp x3, or from x3 to x5
      it is sheer numbers man

i play 3 unis atm, some speed up and this one i will never give up just like that
      is like old times
      it is as it is in manny other things in life, u knew how it is, you joined, and leave others have their fun too

i am not joining x6 unis and asking to slow them down

not every uni has to have 5k players, or the best spec ever
    • Oh im sorry is this the nursery, i was looking for the bar?? :beer:

Seriously guys, you can chat sh!t at each other all you like :modo: but at the end of the day its your fleets that do the talking so go beat each other senseless ingame and the rest of us can watch with popcorn :zpopcorn:
      @Pagan - I understand your frustrations with the lack of non green targets but tbh i think most people would trade their lower accounts that can hit most people for yours in a heartbeat :P it seems that being too strong to hit players is probably one of the nicer issues to have with your game :thumbsup: also if you need something to fill your time with set your sights on a top player and go hunt them. And nice nod to some of the greats :thumbup:

As for the speed, I have played ogame for a looooooong time now and personally dont like the speed unis, but thats why im here in a 1x uni and not a 5x or 7x, and i agree that if you want faster go join faster. Personally seeing people in front of me is the next bar I aim for and i dont want help reaching it, its the challenge that makes it fun.

Active - Maybe
      Retired - 11, 15, 28, 32, Kallisto & Fidis
      .org HoFs - 148
      RIPs killed - 23
      Top 10's - 6 (1 loss)
      Number 1s - 1
      .Org top 10s - 1

Biggest TD - 5.6 Billion
    • Mahna wrote:

@Pagan - I understand your frustrations with the lack of non green targets...

I think some folks misunderstood me...

I said "It is funny though when people complain about my use of DM...you're all green to me, so how does it affect you again? Enjoy your more fruitful and rewarding expos; you're welcome."

I'm not frustrated by it at all, I just find it funny that people get bent out of shape by me using something that doesn't have a detrimental effect on them, in fact...it's good for them in more ways than one. And it's less people I have to track...because I can't (unless they're in lanx range of course :whistling: ).

I have lots of things to occupy my time, lol. Real life is such a PITA with all it's responsibilities and stuff...so yeah, loving 1x speed.
    • Cathedral wrote:

Real life is such a PITA with all it's responsibilities and stuff...so yeah, loving 1x speed.
      Amen to that xD

As much as personally my roots in the old school pre ACS/DM/Redesign, I dont like DM but i also accept is as the "necessary evil" that it is because lets face it GF need to make money to keep the game running. Im not going to have a go at anyone for using a feature of the game, I am happy in the knowledge that DM buys you points, not the skill to use them

Active - Maybe
      .org HoFs - 148
      RIPs killed - 23
      Top 10's - 6 (1 loss)
      Number 1s - 1
      .Org top 10s - 1

Biggest TD - 5.6 Billion
    • Mahna wrote:

As much as personally my roots in the old school pre ACS/DM/Redesign, I dont like DM but i also accept is as the "necessary evil" that it is because lets face it GF need to make money to keep the game running. Im not going to have a go at anyone for using a feature of the game, I am happy in the knowledge that DM buys you points, not the skill to use them
      I despised the RD or Officers (DM) when it first came out...heck, I really hated it when they took away our ability to raid with our massive "probe armies" or the intro of the BC. But I joined the dark side recently and if I see something shiny I just gotta have it...lol.

But lack of skill + DM is a bad thing as we have seen play out already in this uni with some folks. And it really wasn't necessarily a lack of skill but just a general lack of understanding of the mechanics of the game as well as the golden rule "If you let it sit, it will get hit".

Did you play with Eddie in uni 11 (I think it was 11)? That guy was a beast, learned a lot just from reading his endeavors.
    • Cathedral wrote:

Mahna wrote:

I despised the RD or Officers (DM) when it first came out...heck, I really hated it when they took away our ability to raid with our massive "probe armies" or the intro of the BC. But I joined the dark side recently and if I see something shiny I just gotta have it...lol.
      But lack of skill + DM is a bad thing as we have seen play out already in this uni with some folks. And it really wasn't necessarily a lack of skill but just a general lack of understanding of the mechanics of the game as well as the golden rule "If you let it sit, it will get hit".

Did you play with Eddie in uni 11 (I think it was 11)? That guy was a beast, learned a lot just from reading his endeavors.
      Oh god the probe raiding i totally forgot about that, and tbh that was broken and needed fixing but was funny to abuse xD, BC i thought were a cool introduction and the change from BS from 40k/20k to 45k/15k to balance it

And yea lack of understanding can be a killer, i remember coming back from a long break from playing and the had introduced the retreat ratio while i was gone, snashed my fleet into a few defences where the fleet retreated before it sunk in xD

Eddie was a monster!! He came from nowhere as well, was almost like boom hes number 1 now!! I wasnt hugely active while he was in his prime due to real life but before he was about I learnt a lot from the PoKe guys

Active - Maybe
      .org HoFs - 148
      RIPs killed - 23
      Top 10's - 6 (1 loss)
      Number 1s - 1
      .Org top 10s - 1

Biggest TD - 5.6 Billion
    • May Gameforge never change the settings on this server and never merge it with any other server, forever. Actually it will be good to merge it when there is like less than 300 people playing it, but i hope the settings stay the same somehow, like GF should make a 2x, 2x, server, in 1 year, and merge this in 2 years and people would be at the same exact point and still the speed can be left at 1x eco 1x fleet.
    • We'll be there soon...lol.

670 active
      795 inactive
      1465 registered
      46 v mode
      11 pillory (I still can't believe they have't banned that mf'r PAGAN yet)
      3 outlaws

I still think it would be worth a shot to make this a permanent exodus uni for people who join a a speed uni only to realize it's not what they wanted and allow them to move here with their accounts...provided there is some sort of common sense point spread range to it.

Dorado could be the Florida of the ogame community where people who aren't dead yet go to retire...slightly active, but not quite dead. Got a pulse, but need a blue pill once in awhile to make the magic happen.

Make it an "event" occasionally on all the servers. "Life here too fast for you! Then move to sunny Dorado! Set your account to exodus and you too will soon be playing at the pace you were meant for".

Something else that I think that would make sense to keep people from running away from the pack in regards to point/fleet spread would be to make ships and defense exponentially more expensive the more you buy...it's the one thing (two things rather) in this game that don't get more expensive the more you buy.

And get rid of colo fleetsave...that'll spice things up a bit.

Starting up two speed unis immediately after this one probably took a toll as well.

EDIT: And change up the tutorial to include "how to FS properly", "what a phalanx can and cannot see", "don't send your whole fleet on expo", etc. to help people from making dumb mistakes.
    • Shall we reopen this can of worms with new data?

Considering the opening of a new uni, with semi-similar characteristics as Dorado (Galatea), it at least to me seem quite likely that Dorado will get merged with it.

What do you think will happen? Will we be forced to accept DiDF and higher eco? Will there be some other change? Should Dorado get ready for potential merge?
    • Valeyard wrote:

Shall we reopen this can of worms with new data?

Considering the opening of a new uni, with semi-similar characteristics as Dorado (Galatea), it at least to me seem quite likely that Dorado will get merged with it.

What do you think will happen? Will we be forced to accept DiDF and higher eco? Will there be some other change? Should Dorado get ready for potential merge?
      play new uni,stay away from my uni...bazz off

dont make me angry...
      Proud to be a Serb!!
      See you in Space...
    • deadly angel1 wrote:

Valeyard wrote:

When exactly did you buy Dorado, to call it your uni?

Prob we will be merged with Galatea along the way, that is why they have 2x Eco and other perks to catch up on us.

But hey GF never share any info, they love surprise.

Uni2 - Uni 12 - Andromeda - Retired.

Dorado - Active.
    • deadly angel1 wrote:

Valeyard wrote:

Oh, I quite like it in Dorado. Just the right pace for old me. A retirement home as Pagan said. But if you really, really want me to leave for a different uni, I might consider it for a split second.

Dragon wrote:

Prob we will be merged with Galatea along the way, that is why they have 2x Eco and other perks to catch up on us.

But hey GF never share any info, they love surprise.
      True enough. And from what I remember from my first stint at ogame, don't really like to listen to players as well. So, probably interesting times ahead.
    • Foufoutios wrote:

In the end, i will be the one o crash you all. Wait and see...
      Well that didn't work out at all like you planned it.

As for merger...probably a ways off. I still think it would be better to make this a retirement uni for old folks and let people within certain point parameters migrate here from wherever they are currently regardless of what speed they're currently in. I've noticed in a lot of the mergers that most players don't even bother coming out of vmode unless the point spread is close.

Keep it 1x speed since that's why most of us joined it in the first place and make us a permanent target uni for those looking to slow things down.

But GF does what they want so we'll probably be merged with uni 1 next week...unless you already have an account there then you're getting sent to the colonies.
    • Valeyard wrote:

Your thoughts make sense, its a way to rejuvenate the dying dorado. I think it's too soon though, i'd say give it 1-1.5 years and then start thinking about merges. It's not enough though, people need a motive in order to stop dropping unis. GF provided space dock, insta recs etc but as long as moonshot accounts are allowed and new unis pop up every month don't get your hopes high.
      That's GF's mistakes. Our mistake is that we fail to understand that in a uni with a population of 3-4k you get more than enough chances to see your name high in the ranks or at least make some impact in the uni. How many players you play with is far more important than the difference between your account and better accounts.
      Ogame needs to become less pay to win, fewer unis, advertisement and a better tutorial or a guide that includes everything a new player needs to know.
    • I agree with Black Velvet to a point...the tutorial doesn't really do much in the way of taking a player with 0 experience and setting them up for success. The tutorial really needs to include something about the importance of fleet saving, resource saving, what a phalanx can and cannot see, etc. to keep people from making mistakes.

New unis are coming fast and furious...much faster than I remember them years ago when we had the numbered unis.

I still think one of the best ways to supplement this uni would be to make it a permanent target uni for people that decide that a speed uni wasn't what they wanted.

It would also be nice if it was possible for GF to offer abandoned inactive accounts to new players...give them a choice at registration, "you can either start from scratch or here; take over this inactive account". Of course, it would have to be an account that has gone double "i" which would normally be deleted by the server...at that point, I'd say throw it into a pool of accounts for new players to pick if they so choose.