Which ship is best on defense

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I using that when I attack, but when I want to support a team mate who is going to be attacked. I have read that battlecruiser is good but I have my doubt, but maybe it must be in a large number. How is it with destroyer? I have tried to use it in attacks but when I simulate with it my lost be more!!!
    • sueco wrote:

Hi- I have actually 2 questions. If I want to help a team mate to defend his planet when he is under attack, which ship is best?
      When you have your fleet parked on he planet, is it anyone of them who defend against attacks, if, who is best?
      Regards
      sueco

sueco wrote:

I using that when I attack, but when I want to support a team mate who is going to be attacked. I have read that battlecruiser is good but I have my doubt, but maybe it must be in a large number. How is it with destroyer? I have tried to use it in attacks but when I simulate with it my lost be more!!!
      There is no best ship or worst ship , it depends on situation sometimes a fleet of 100 crusiers and 20k Light Fighters could do the trick or sometimes 10 destroyers .

Most would way RIPS (Death Stars) but ofcourse even those can be destroyed and without fodder ( LF or Hf ) they are easy to beat even in large numbers .

So i would say in this order but ofcourse by no means its the safest or best

DS ( DeathStar)
      V
      Destroyer
      V
      Bomber
      V
      Battlecruiser
      V
      Battleship

Did not add cruisers ( my favourite ship ) because despite speed and rapid fire against lf without a proper fleet made around them they are easy targets .

Also take in account that this is a numbers game so you will win if you have the bigger numbers or a better setup.And when i say a better setup ( can take out solo specific fleets but also weak to other specific fleets)

Take care and good luck.
    • The main issue with answering such a question is that different fleets are best for different ACS defend scenarios. In addition to which ships fare best, it's important to remember whether a ship can get there to defend at all:
      • Defending your mate against mass deathstars that have locked onto his fleet save? Destroyers are your best bet, unless you're close enough that you can get even more deathstars in position in times.
      • Defending against BC/BS? Like only a larger fleet of BCs will get there in time. But LF (or even dessies) would be great too if you're close enough that it's an option.
      • Defending against full fleet launches? Assuming you can get there in time, you also want a balanced fleet with sufficient Destroyer, CR and LF counts.

Remember to be careful of time backs on ACS defends on planets - it'd be a pity if you save a mate's 3b fleet, only to lose your 80b fleet...

Edit: as for your other question on what fleet is best to park for defense - the best is probably "the biggest balanced fleet you can" or "deathstars". But you shouldn't park your fleet there anyways - it's just asking for it to become a snack :)
    • The problem is that he is attacked by protected players which I can´t attack. They are marked as bandit, so I call them cowards. My buddy get spammed all the time and got not a chance to build anything. He is 2 galaxies from me and if I send some ships to defend him, do he must have a Alliance Depot then so I get fuel?
      What happened to my ship if the fuel is beginning to run out, do they return to my planet or they crash in space?
    • sueco wrote:

The problem is that he is attacked by protected players which I can´t attack. They are marked as bandit, so I call them cowards. My buddy get spammed all the time and got not a chance to build anything. He is 2 galaxies from me and if I send some ships to defend him, do he must have a Alliance Depot then so I get fuel?
      What happened to my ship if the fuel is beginning to run out, do they return to my planet or they crash in space?
      What do you mean protected players? And which universe do you play in?

I don't recommend sending ships to defend him ahead of time, unless you know what they're going to send and can send enough to annihilate the attacking fleet. Since you're sending from two galaxies away, I doubt you will be able to ACS defend in response to any non deathstar attack. If you leave a few k BCs on his moon as defense for example, you're just giving any attacker more profit - now instead of 5k Dessies they send 100k LF and 15k Dessies, and get to harvest your BCs as profit as well. It's easier to get your friend to fleetsave and not leave anything to hit on planet. (It's generally not recommended to ACS defend planets, as my previous link shows.)

For ACS defends, you do not need an alliance depot to hold ships. Your ships will simply carry the fuel used for holding. When they run out, they'll return to the moon you sent it from (or rather, you won't be able to send them for longer than they can hold for).

As an aside, I wouldn't be so quick to judge bandit players. If you're playing for profit, you're probably going to end up honor negative if you attack much at all. (I've lost about 90k honor in the last week of playing, and I don't even really fleet!) For example, in Vega, half of the top 10 players are bandits. The top fleeters that are honorable are those that engage in solo hits vs top 100 fleeters (generally those much smaller than their fleets).
    • -Arcane- wrote:

AstralCodex wrote:

Remember to be careful of time backs on ACS defends on planets - it'd be a pity if you save a mate's 3b fleet, only to lose your 80b fleet...
      This sounds vaguely familiar
      A day of great sorrow for GCVA, brought on by a combination of (A) our inability to do moon drop ninjas properly, (B) our failure to close off Pariah's systems, and (C) our own stupidity for going for an ACS defend with rips across 100 systems ... ;(
    • AstralCodex wrote:

-Arcane- wrote:

AstralCodex wrote:

This sounds vaguely familiar
      A day of great sorrow for GCVA, brought on by a combination of (A) our inability to do moon drop ninjas properly, (B) our failure to close off Pariah's systems, and (C) our own stupidity for going for an ACS defend with rips across 100 systems ...

Live and learn.

Unless you are Vice who has the memory span of a herpes ridden goldfish.

Arcane
      [Muppets] - Vega
      BIGGEST x2 hit in .org

• Hello,
      as stated above, it all depends what's the attacking fleet consisted of. It also depends on the properties of a server you play on: speed, is rapidfire enabled/disabled, deut consumption etc...
      Where I play (UNI1), we have fleetspeed set to x1, rapidfire is enabled and deut consumption is set to x1 (100%).
      Assuming you got enough deut to launch all your fleet, and assuming you can make it in time to defend your friend, then you move on to looking at the rapidfire. Besides the ship strength itself, rapidfire is next thing you should look for. Speaking in simple terms, rapidfire is the ability of a ship to fire multiple times at another type of ship(s) within the same attacking round. More info at: OGame rapidfire basic info.

Display Spoiler
      So let's make one simple example out of this: your friend has just 3000 rocket launchers defending 3M metal & 2M deut on his planet. Attacker decided to launch 1000 destroyers to farm your friend. You can aim for a draw (so attacker doesn't get the loot) or you can aim for the win, obviously.
      Display Spoiler
      Solution / example 1: Against destroyer, considering its rapidfire, it's good to use some fodder (light fighters for example) + some firepower (destroyers, or any other stronger ship starting from Battleship). Which ship and how much of them will you send depends on the simulation of course. Additionally, if you look at destroyer's attributes, you'll see deathstar has rapidfire against it. So the best (or one of better options) against destroyers would be fodder + deathstars. But as deathstars are slow and risky, you'll probably consider some other solution.

Display Spoiler
      Solution / example 2: actually, your friend can defend himself on his own. Even with rapidfire enabled, 1000 destroyers can't beat 4500 rocket launchers - and here's the interesting part of OGame and fleeting. Even though 1000 destroyers have total value of 125M resources while 4500 rocket launchers have value of just 9M of resources, the battle ends in draw. Well, not exactly a draw as not all defences will be repaired, but you understand what I wanna say. The key to this example is rapidfire. Those 1000 destroyers could theoretically destroy a maximum of 1000 rocketlaunchers per round (if every single destroyer chooses to attack a different rocketlauncher, which will almost never happen). If we know battle rounds in OGame can have a maximum value of 6, then 6001 rocket launcher has 100% chance of having a draw against 1000 destroyers. But since every destroyer chooses its target at random, it's possible than 2, 3 or more destroyers will launch at the same rocket launcher. So 4500 rocket launchers can pull a draw against 1000 destroyers.
      Hopefully this example helps you a bit.

Though, generally speaking and assuming rapidfire is enabled:
      Light Fighters are good in huge numbers, against stronger fleets which do not have rapidfire against them (Battleships, Battlecruisers, Bombers, Destroyers...). But they're mostly used as fodder, so bigger guns can "hide" behind them and shoot opponent's ships.
      Heavy Fighters are the worst ship overall in my opinion. Bad metal to crystal ratio for relatively bad performance. Sometimes used as fodder or support against cargo fleet, but in most of times they're not a good solution.
      Cruisers are the best against light fighters as they have rapidfire against them + they're not expensive, and are the fastest combat ship in game. They can be good against LFs, but usually aren't strong enough to beat high-end ships such as BCs or destroyers.
      Battleships are good due to their firepower (attack strength). Usually used with fodder, as they don't have good rapidfire ability. Can be used against destroyers or deathstars, if they have a good fodder-support.
      Battlecruisers are good against most of fleet compositions. Sure, they lose on 1 on 1 against Bomber or Destroyer, but have a lot of rapidfire against civil ships, which are used by weaker players when they are making their first attacks.
      Bombers are more or less useless when it comes to defending, as they don't have much rapidfire against ships. But, if you are the one farming, they're pretty good against defences, or as a simple support to your fleet. Have in mind they waste as much fuel as a Destroyer, but aren't as effective (low cargo space, not as good attack).
      Destroyers are good for defending on their own - so if you have enough of them, you can simply launch just them. But after all, they aren't the best when it comes to rapidfire, so you might wanna use the support with them.

In short, take a look at rapidfire of each ship. The more rapidfire ship A has against ship B, the better it is against ship B. Later on you'll take into account other things such as fuel costs, speed, technologies, etc...

A lot of text I know, but if you're new it should give you a basic idea on what to pay attention to. Good luck!
    • There really is no correct answer for this...

If it's to defend someone, it depends on the fleet composition of the one attacking. But most of the time, people will only look at numbers, since, most of the time, it's all that matters.

Ideally, if someone is attacking with Deathstars, and you are closer to the one you want to defend and have time to make it there with your own Deathstars, then Deathstars are the best solution, against anything, be it other Deathstars or other ships. This of course if the Defender has a nice defence to back them up as well, or unless you are outright stronger than the Attacker.

Ships to sit arround behind defence? None... Most use Deathstars, but even they will get murked by the top fleeters if they decide to ACS on you.
      Only way to make this^ happen is if you are the strongest Defence in the Universe with military power greater than the Top Fleets.