Ideas for an Ogame Guide

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ideas for an Ogame Guide

Hey all,

For many of us, Ogame is our crack lol so I think it is time we share it.
      I have wanted to put out a series of Ogame videos, highlighting the aspects of Ogame and I came here to get some ideas. I did do three videos highlighting some but not enough.

Ogame Playlist

I feel the interface is something they should know about. What each tab has stored within it and what they can do to get the best usage out of it.

A fair reminder: This is not a place to vent about any problems you may have about the system, the game or both. No trolling, no insulting, no nothing that would break rules. I am serious about this discussion and anything that derails or hinders conversation will be treated with warnings.....

So let us begin :)
    • Tutorial video ideas:
      UI is good.
      Basic survival skills (fleet save, resource save, etc).
      Basic combat skills (target selection, simulating etc).
      How to ACS (with yourself, with friends, advantages, disadvantages, etc).
      How combat works (game mechanics).
      Galaxy view (different name colors, debris fields, etc)
      Basic tools to make life easier (AGO, infocompte, etc).
      Terminology (people can easily get lost in the jargon and abbreviations)
      Game Operator for Uriel
      Please send any compliments for how awesome a job I am doing to my SGO: Valent :thumbsup:
      Game Rules
      Terms & Conditions
    • An emphasis is needed on who is doing something wrong when attacked.
      Throughout the years I have spent countless hours helping newbies, but the single thing they most commonly have trouble understanding is that 90%+ of the time, people put themselves into the situation that resulted in them being attacked. It is not enough to explain that FS is a thing, you have to make them understand that it is an essential thing to avoid attacks. Same with leaving too much ress on a planet, how to avoid return-hits etc.
      56G TD, Top 1 solo
      61G TD, Top 1 ACS
      137G TD, Top 1 solo ninja
      In order to insult me, I must first value your opinion...Nice try though.
    • You have to start at the beginning and give advice about

1. Choosing a Uni
      2. Deciding on fleeter or miner
      3. Planet locations depnding on playing style
      4. Not being profitable
      5. The danger when you top 500k points. ( Too may pop out of protection when they are not on and become instant sitting ducks)

Then move onto the "How to" bit
      ~The strong take from the weak, but the smart take from the strong~

U44/Quant/Jup/Betel HOF's = 575~ ~ ~480 Solo [10 Top 10] / 95 ACS [4 x #1 + 11 Top 10]
      ~~ RIP 7007+
    • The 5 points that I listed above are the basis of the initial decision making process, and should be a sort of Ogame Health Warning which should be compulsory reading on the registration page BEFORE a new played decides where to join

U44/Quant/Jup/Betel HOF's = 575~ ~ ~480 Solo [10 Top 10] / 95 ACS [4 x #1 + 11 Top 10]
      ~~ RIP 7007+
    • As an Old Timer this idea gets my blood pumping again.

I think for Newbies they need a how to get started guide too!
      The tutorial is nice but when a player doesn't know what they are doing, or doesn't know what their play style is (nor can they at the start) a simple starting guide to get a planet bustling with mines and basic facilities.

For people that are looking to discover their playing style I think there should be a separate section for each, miner, fleeter and turtle. Though with some of these crazy settings on the new UNI's maybe everyone should avoid turtle now?

I agree with Kewlness, terminology is huge!
      I agree with Dark Depression, I think players need to know they are going to fail hard. and then something we can't teach is how big help is from bigger players in an alliance.

I agree with Vulcan too! Planet location can be the difference between life and death. (again with some UNI's only having 4 galaxies FTW!! it might not matter as much as it used to, especially with it being a circular galaxy instead of linear! shout out to those who remember those days!)

For seasoned players a how-to-guide on Blind Lanx, time back calculation, fleet slowing, recycler timing, the dangers of fs improperly when a moon with enough tech is close to you and again as it has been said a thousand times before. Making yourself unprofitable.

Looking forward to this! :fatgreengrin:
    • Vulcan_558 wrote:

Ogame Health Warning which should be compulsory reading
      All I can think of is like a sticker on the side of the cigarette box .

We now have a sticker on Ogame home page:

"Warning, playing Ogame may cause user to waste lots of time and become hugely addicted."

GO - Bellatrix & Aquarius & Vega
      Specific In game issue? Please use the ticket system
    • Silverwind wrote:

Vulcan_558 wrote:

Ogame Health Warning which should be compulsory reading
      All I can think of is like a sticker on the side of the cigarette box .
      We now have a sticker on Ogame home page:

"Warning, playing Ogame may cause user to waste lots of time and become hugely addicted."

The sticker should be someone nude on the toilet with their laptop on their lap playing OGame.

Nice idea. I like it a lot.

As far as how the layout goes, I'd do/recommend something similar to what @Vulcan_558 said.

Also, thoughts on a written version? :gamer:

~ Top 10s: 14 (18) + Assist on WorldWide Number 1 + Worldwide Number 2 (suicide) ~ RiPs: 80.962 ~

~ Experience is something you gain after you need it ~
    • Awesome! Glad to see peeps are just as enthusiastic as I am about this :D

Currently, I am dealing with marriage stuff and Im constantly bogged down. I do have a bit of a break and Ill digest what has been said and see what would be the best strategy in compiling everything!

Thanks for the support all!
    • Hey all! I want to continue this train of thought, even though Im basically moving furniture, cleaning an ENTIRE patio and putting that furniture back even though Ill be pulling all of it back out again (Fitness Lord Give Me Strength). I might have added some titles to give it fluff. If they are cheesy, I apologize. I'm just exhausted. Also, just a little bit of help if it is not trouble. Just lemme know if I am missing something by adding it. These will take time so I will create an emergency Discord channel to discuss the best way to implement this idea swiftly.

Possible Videos:

Using the Ogame Interface: Where do I smash the Destroy Button?

Terminology of Ogame - FSing to Ripping to DiDF

Learning the Skill of Survival in Ogame

Game Mechanics and Combat Skills in Ogame

The "What" and "Hows" of the Alliance Combat System or ACS

The Tools of Ogame

Ogame Behavioral Etiquette

Beginning Tides: Joining a Universe, Creating a Playstyle, Colony Placement, Farmability, and the Danger of 500k

How to catch an Ogame Predator:
      Hunting the Hunter makes you the Hunter
      Timeback the Throwback
      Slowing Down During a Hit
      Catch a Debris Saver
    • Not wishing to change the subject too much, but there may be another way to assist newcomers to the game subject to GF's ability to deliver.....

EITHER
      A beginners uni where a new player can stay until reaching say 2kk points when they have to move their account to a Uni of their choice.

OR
      A rotating Uni which gets reset to zero after say 3 months and then starts again.
      This has the advantage of eliminating the need for a new uni every couple of months as they eventually die and clutter up the server.
      The #1 rank at the end of the cycle could be awarded a prize - either DM or maybe the winner gats to set the spec for the next cycle.

~~ RIP 7007+
    • Not to be the glass is half empty, while that is a great idea, Gameforge wouldn't be willing to do something like that. The strategy for them is opening a new uni every few months as to rotate new players in them. While it does lower the population of the previous one, it is supposed to give the existing ones a chance. Of course, if there was a standard 1x speed rotated every........2-3 unis, I would think it would be alright.
    • Vulcan_558 wrote:

Not wishing to change the subject too much, but there may be another way to assist newcomers to the game subject to GF's ability to deliver.....

EITHER
      A beginners uni where a new player can stay until reaching say 2kk points when they have to move their account to a Uni of their choice.

OR
      A rotating Uni which gets reset to zero after say 3 months and then starts again.
      This has the advantage of eliminating the need for a new uni every couple of months as they eventually die and clutter up the server.
      The #1 rank at the end of the cycle could be awarded a prize - either DM or maybe the winner gats to set the spec for the next cycle.

It is unfortunate
      but it won't happen.

What would be better
      is to revamp the tutorial.

OGame was always difficult to learn.
      I remember in the numbered unis
      we had a group which provided resources
      and helped new people with tactics.
      I was a member in my universe(s).

The problem is though
      in today's world
      of instant gratification
      most people want to do things now
      and OGame is a game of patience.
      There will always those
      who should be playing
      Hello Kitty Online
      instead of Ogame...
      Game Operator for Uriel
      Please send any compliments for how awesome a job I am doing to my SGO: Valent :thumbsup:
      Game Rules
      Terms & Conditions
    • Mavericks wrote:

Hey all! I want to continue this train of thought, even though Im basically moving furniture, cleaning an ENTIRE patio and putting that furniture back even though Ill be pulling all of it back out again (Fitness Lord Give Me Strength). I might have added some titles to give it fluff. If they are cheesy, I apologize. I'm just exhausted. Also, just a little bit of help if it is not trouble. Just lemme know if I am missing something by adding it. These will take time so I will create an emergency Discord channel to discuss the best way to implement this idea swiftly.

Possible Videos:

Using the Ogame Interface: Where do I smash the Destroy Button?

Terminology of Ogame - FSing to Ripping to DiDF

Learning the Skill of Survival in Ogame

Game Mechanics and Combat Skills in Ogame

The "What" and "Hows" of the Alliance Combat System or ACS

The Tools of Ogame

Ogame Behavioral Etiquette

Beginning Tides: Joining a Universe, Creating a Playstyle, Colony Placement, Farmability, and the Danger of 500k

How to catch an Ogame Predator:
      Hunting the Hunter makes you the Hunter
      Timeback the Throwback
      Slowing Down During a Hit
      Catch a Debris Saver
      I think these are good.
      Of course,
      it will all depend on the content.
      I mean,
      there are plenty of tutorials
      throughout these forums.
      All people have to do
      is read.
      But maybe in a visual format
      it will be better.
      If you have a script
      let me know.
      I'll happily provide feedback.
      :)
      Game Operator for Uriel
      Game Rules
      Terms & Conditions