Plasma Turrets vs Gauss Cannons

• I saw old thread discussions on this topic, and thought it would be fun to revive the topic.

Plasma Turret
    Pro:
    Can severely damage if not one-shot the stronger ships in the game (strongest non-death star attack)
    Can take a punch too (a little weaker than a destroyer)
    The only defense that is protected from deathstar rapid fire

Con:
    Expensive - You can build a lot fewer than gauss cannons (depending on how you value resources, 5 to 1), this means fewer plasmas will be defending than the potential number of gauss cannons

Gauss Cannon
    Pro:
    Hits a little harder than a battleship, so an excellent choice against mid-tier ships (can one-shot cruisers)
    Can build in larger numbers (maybe 5:1 as described above)
    Bombers do not have rapid fire against, so a good counter to bomber fleets

Con:
    Not too tough - battleships can take more damage (although equal number of gauss still beat battleships due to higher firepower)
    deathstars do have rapid fire against

Comparison
    One thing that I read is that if your defense has a vulnerability to a certain type of attack, you can expect to receive that type of attack. So I think the best approach is to build both. If you build a gauss cannon only attack, you can expect deathstar raids since you can't counter the rapid fire. However, if you build only plasma cannons, you can expect swarms of weaker ships to limit the damage done by the plasmas.

If you are looking for a small defense, I think plasmas are the better option. You know that there are fleets out there that can crack your defenses. You just want to get a few lucky hits to destroy some of their ships so that there is a cost to attacking you.

If you are looking for a strong defense, one that will fight to a draw even on the big guys, I think gauss cannons are more important (still need at least some plasmas for deathstars). There also seems to be a line. If you are facing battleships and lower, it seems like gauss cannons are the better choice. If you are facing battlecruiser or better, plasmas are the more economical choice. Gauss cannons are at their best when facing a large number of cruisers (which I have noticed is not uncommon at the higher levels). When fighting battlecruiser and above, the edge goes to plasma cannons.

• they both have a roll to fill so i try to build in the following order for large defenses

1-PT + 3 gauss + 5 ion + 100 LL

I'm not pretty I'm not graceful I am the inevitable fact of truth.there is no unwinnable situation.
    ogame.support.gameforge.com/en

• I think I will be building more like a 10 to 1 Gauss to Plasma strategy. As for the other defense that you listed, you didn't mention rocket launchers. I build rocket launchers and light lasers in about equal amounts. Just light lasers is begging for a destroyer attack. Ion cannons, I personally find rather useless. The bigger capital ships can one shot them, which means they are just as good as a rocket launcher. I prefer to spend my crystal in other areas (like building gauss cannons).

• early game gauss are useful to stop battleship farming

but after that gauss are entirely useless. if you are going to get farmed, you either get farmed by rips (gauss do nothing), farmed by dessies (gauss do next to nothing) or MASS lf and a few heavies to break large shield (and in this case gauss are just expensive version of heavy laser, so useless)

and when it comes to huge turtles

fodder + plasma + rips is all you need

• Looking at the HoF top 10 attacks, I see that frequently the big fleets contain large numbers of cruisers. I assume they are there to counter the light fighter defenses of very strong defenses. Gauss cannons are perfect defect for cruisers, as they can one-shot them. As for deathstars, they are definitely not useless. About 200 can kill a deathstar (less if you have fodder). Heavy laser and below most definitely are useless, as they can't even penetrate the shields.

Now, as I said before if you have weaker defenses, and are worried about a top 50 player attacking you, plasmas are better. Plasmas will get some lucky hits to cause some casualties. However, if you want a defense that can counter a top 50 offense, fight to at least a draw, and inflict heavy casualties, gauss cannons are better. 1000s of gauss cannons are better than hundreds of plasmas.

Also, best defense against a light fighter swarm attack, imo, is a large number of rocket launchers or light lasers, not heavy lasers. I don't even build heavy lasers - imo, those are useless.

• No defence will ever fight a top 50 attacker to a draw.

Defence isn't built to fight. It's built to prevent a fight.

• yeah something like this works good also to prevent stupid attacks

Rocket Launcher 190.000
    Light Laser 30.000
    Heavy Laser 8.000
    Gauss Cannon 1.965
    Ion Cannon 414
    Plasma Turret 240
    Small Shield Dome 1
    Large Shield Dome 1
    Anti-Ballistic Missiles 54
    Interplanetary Missiles 13

I'm not pretty I'm not graceful I am the inevitable fact of truth.there is no unwinnable situation.

• That defense would get flattened against a handful of rips. 240 plasma isn't enough to beat through them, plus a few ipms and those plasma are gone. After that, rips can bash the fodder down over several hits without losses. Up your plasma count and leave 5 or so rips sitting. A few defending rips punch through other rip's shields/armor and allow your other guns to finish them off, without being worth enough debris to counter the loss of the couple of rips they themselves cause to be destroyed.

• I personally build gauss and plasma at a ratio of 4 to 1. It (along wth the rest of my def) is pretty effective at discouraging even fleets of 2000+ Destroyers. And the def on any one of my planets is only a fraction of what Blackmass just posted. Only rips can get me, but I accept that as an inevitability and try not to leave any major meals on my planets for a predator to want to launch rips at me in the first place.

I personally credit having my planets spread all over the uni as being just as important for my well being as what defense I use as ulimtely no defense by itself is sufficient.

• That defense would get flattened against a handful of rips. 240 plasma isn't enough to beat through them, plus a few ipms and those plasma are gone. After that, rips can bash the fodder down over several hits without losses. Up your plasma count and leave 5 or so rips sitting. A few defending rips punch through other rip's shields/armor and allow your other guns to finish them off, without being worth enough debris to counter the loss of the couple of rips they themselves cause to be destroyed.

i dont think its meant to repel attacks from rips, but rather make sure you have to send so many it isnt worth it for whatever daily prod is lying behind there.
    if you need to send say 300 rips to break it, it isnt profitable for the average ripper just to get daily prod, since he could probably find more profitable targets that are easier to kill

• no its not to stop rip attacks just make them unprofitable first off second. i have enough to build 400 anti.s at any givin point on that planet and room to build 80 at a time

and who said that is all the pt.s i have there

• In general Plasma Turrets and Gauss Cannons are quite different defensive structures, each with its pros and cons.
    The guide 'Fleet and Defences Fire Power Analysis' might be usefull to take a look at.
    6 PTs can get you a draw against a Death-star (RIP), 1 PT can kill any ship (except DS) in 1 round of battle.
    I think the good thing with Gausses is that Bombers don't have RF against them, invaluable when you consider the extend of damage a BMB can do to a defence. They are threat up to Cruisers, they can't do much against heavier units.
    I think that both, PTs and GCs are expensive, but I am a miner and have an interest...

Please pay attention to IMNVS at #6.

• Seems I have to point this out again...

i dont think its meant to repel attacks from rips

It's not. No defence is.

Defence isn't built to fight. It's built to prevent a fight.

Or to put it another way, it's built to deter an attacker from ever launching. Don't try to repel attacks with defence. Fleet does that.

• well

speaking as someone who has prett ymuch always had a top 50 fleet (or usually much better) i can tell you

after destroyers come in to play, and fleets get larger, gauss are useless

i dont care about htem or pay any attention whatsoever

do not build gauss ever

• Well, I am a target for top 50 fleets, and gauss are a major part of my defense against fleets, including destroyers. I park my deathstars on top of that defense. The biggest key is having enough fodder to fight to a draw.

P.S. When I simmed it before, it doesn't appear that having enough ships to knock down the shields of a deathstar allows the fodder to hit it. The deathstar is still impervious to anything below gauss cannon.

• Well, I am a target for top 50 fleets, and gauss are a major part of my defense against fleets, including destroyers. I park my deathstars on top of that defense. The biggest key is having enough fodder to fight to a draw.

P.S. When I simmed it before, it doesn't appear that having enough ships to knock down the shields of a deathstar allows the fodder to hit it. The deathstar is still impervious to anything below gauss cannon.

i do 100RL 80 LL 10HL 24IC 10GC 12PT as a general rule. :airborn: then i just multiply it all.

• so which would you rather have 10 000 plasma or 10 000 gauss i would choose plasma every time

• they both have a roll to fill so i try to build in the following order for large defenses

they both have a roll to fill so i try to build in the following order for large defenses

me I like to go with the 5's rule 1 PT + 5 Gauss +25 Heavy Laser + 25 Ion Cannon + 125 Light Laset + 125 Rocket

• so which would you rather have 10 000 plasma or 10 000 gauss i would choose plasma every time

Of course, but that really isn't the choice since plasma costs about 5x more. The question really is, do you want 10,000 plasma or 50,000 gauss?

• Seeing a tread like this just makes me realize however many "OGamers" just randomly clicks build, hoping that they are doing it right. And by the looks of it, very, very few are doing it right.

Gauss is useful for one thing and one alone; countering XX. As with all defences (and fleet for that matter), what you build should be tailored towards what you are going up against. And the game quickly outgrows the stage where XX are relevant as other than just a minor component in full-fleet attacks on the biggest targets. As such, the gauss quickly losses it primary reason to be used, and should not be used as other than a component a symbolic and balanced colony defence.