Restructuring of the HoF and CR-Section Discussion thread

• Just here to watch people get upset because of misunderstanding the post and things. also, https://ogmem.com etc etc

Above you can see the tag system in place. Clicking the tags will link you to a search result of only that tag + (somehow) untagged HoFs.

Please note that on .fr they use debris, and not TD to assign tags (CDR = Debris)

On the sidebar you will see this, where you will be able to look up only the biggest hits of the unis fairly easily.

Edited once, last by umakhelwane ().

• The tiers make more sense in French, but google translate obviously makes them pretty meh. That's why he's asking for rename suggestions, of course.

• I know. Why don't we streamline the whole board and not have universe sections as well?

Then the mods can sit around in the newly created larger pool of people who are pissed off and congratulate themselves on a job well done.

Crap idea.

Arcane
    :spamshield:

• I know. Why don't we streamline the whole board and not have universe sections as well?

Then the mods can sit around in the newly created larger pool of people who are pissed off and congratulate themselves on a job well done.

Crap idea.

How about we streamline the entire forum and just not use it anymore?

https://ogmem.com/dashboard <-- way better :thumbsup:

• @-Arcane- we could do that to but wouldn't be easier for mods :P Also we would defenitly need to use the french/retro system then because otherwise you would have 6 labels per top 10 thread and that would just look weird :D

@umakhelwane great idea, we should do that! remove CR sections completly and let everyone use ogmem!

Signatur

Crap idea

Here is bit more explanation behind the ideas:

Amount of posts/threads aren't the only things that are making forum heavy and slow. The "less is more" apply for lot of things here and less complex forum structure will give us better results. Reducing amount of subforums (un)fortunately fall into this category.
    Since we have labels now (one of few nice things we got with wbb 4.1) we can use this to remove less popular and empty sections. Because let's face it, CR section is only active at the beginning of the universe. Once fleets got bigger you will barely see anyone posting in there, making it just another unnecesarry thing for database to check when giving results.
    Another thing why merging all CR's in same subforum is to make searching easier for you guys. Now you'll be able to have everything on one place - filtering Top10's, hofs or fleet crashes will be just a click away instead of moving back and forth on forum.

And from what i see people prefer old system over the french one, which means that only work mods won't need to do is moving threads between hof and top section. Everything else stay pretty much the same, so no need to worry that they'll become lazy because of this :)

• I'm all for removing under used sections of the board, that's fair enough.

The whole idea of a top ten section is that it's held separately as a hallmark of achievements in that uni and an aspiration to achieve better.

I feel that it's a bit weak then to have them mixed in even if you can filter.

One nice feature if you used the TD element of it is you could do tags for speed and then do .org wide top tens...

Arcane
    :spamshield:

• Reducing amount of subforums (un)fortunately fall into this category.

So... you could get rid of the Team Members subforums. Also... get rid of the old/irrelevant/superceded/etc. FAQ's and guides. srsly, that place is a MESS, or was when i last looked... unless it got cleaned during the board move?

Also, some topics are incredibly "posty".. the ones with thousands or hundreds of thousands of replies.... At least one of those takes forever and a day to load for me... do those types of topics affect overall board performance? if so, should such topics be restricted to x number of posts before they're closed and continued in a new one?

on the hof thing. i don't fleet, so can't comment much, as the chances of me needing to find a suitable place to post a hit are near to zero :D... but when i look at hits, I simply want to find new ones easily (at the top of the page in the uni's HOF forum, with clear att/def/TD visible in the title, same as they are now) and I think a top 10 subforum is still good. could be mixed acs/non-acs... with tags to distinguish the two eg. solo #1 and ACS #1 or sommat?

why not ask peeps which subforums throughout the board they think are superfluous to requirements, and/or could be merged ?

Three great forces rule the world:
    stupidity, fear and greed

Proud past member of
    The Pint Triling Naked Reindeer of the Apocalypse [Naked] (
    Polaris) and Wahnsinn (#1 alliance uni39/44)

sleeping member of
    Legends (#1 alliance betelgeuse)

• Also, some topics are incredibly "posty".. the ones with thousands or hundreds of thousands of replies.... At least one of those takes forever and a day to load for me...

Which one would load forever for you? For me they work just fine. Also the Boardsoftware just has a problem with large amounts of threads, not so much posts. But yeah we could close down some of the spammy threads like the counting or last letter new word threads. We could let these end at 10k Posts or so.

FAQ's and guides. srsly, that place is a MESS, or was when i last looked... unless it got cleaned during the board move?

There is still a guide about FoxGame, so yeah pretty old threads are in there. We don't know how many people use these threads really or get any usefull information out of them.

why not ask peeps which subforums throughout the board they think are superfluous to requirements, and/or could be merged ?

We have more subforums in mind than just the CR-Section. But doing everything at once is a bit too much. We will do it step by step. Some sections like the headhuntsection could be replaced by a simple label in diplo or trade for example.

For our current system adapted to labels it would look somewhat like this in the section. Colors for labels and so on are not decided yet but you will be able to see Top10 hits without reading anything.

Signatur

• Which one would load forever for you?

last post topic in spamboard. (last post game - the continuation. Generation 2)
    generally, i think for me at least, the more posts a topic has (we're talking "lots" , not say 5 posts vs 15 posts etc.), the longer it takes to load. I don't follow some other big post counters like the counting thread, so can't comment on those. I have a feeling the "who posts next" one is starting to get "laggy" for me tho.

Three great forces rule the world:
    stupidity, fear and greed

Proud past member of
    The Pint Triling Naked Reindeer of the Apocalypse [Naked] (
    Polaris) and Wahnsinn (#1 alliance uni39/44)

sleeping member of
    Legends (#1 alliance betelgeuse)

• so, if top 10s are gonna be mixed in with other hofs, does this mean they will just drop down da pages like normal hits do? most players consider it an achievement to get on da top 10 page. and its good to know your hit will stay there until somebody manages to better it. if they simply drop down da pages like normal hits, they won't have same status. hof stands for Hall of Fame. da biggest hits of a universe should be on display until someone makes a bigger one.

i think if board is too heavy, there are plenty of spammy type threads which could be restricted.

CRs in with hofs - yes, that would be ok.

MOST HATED RANK #1

TOP 1 (solo) x 2

TOP 1 (ACS) x 1
    TOP 10 (solo) x 3

TOP 10 (ACS) x 11
    Super Adv lost count

• You can search top tens buy the tags or labels and i think the rule of thumb for hofs is fair and gives players a chance to post a nice hit the way it works now. with the changes to the hof and cr sections. it will take a little adjustment but it will come easy after a few tries at it.

• I am assuming that the view counter has been removed?

It would be nice to put that back.

Also I cant say I like the fact that Top 10s are going to be mixed in with regular hofs, labels or not.

Whats the point of having a top 10 hit if people are going to have to filter to see it . Getting a hit in that section is an aspiration for many players, its where a player gets to flaunt their achievement in front of the uni .

Found my old sig, credit go's to Delta ( not sure if he is even around still xD )

• The Top10 aren't mixed with normal hits, they still have their own section. It's just that we won't have seperate sections for Solo and ACS Top10s.

The viewcounter is still there. It just doesn't display on some Screensizes because of the responsive design.

Signatur

• Two things from me

1) Why combine both. I think it looks messy and a lot good hits will get diluted with a bunch of crap.

2) Why does the board need to be so fast. I can understand wanting to speed up in-game playing but to browse and read through the forum... what's the rush? Personally I would have rathered keep all our old posts and just wait an extra second for them to load.