• In light of the upgrade we were told to collect more threads (maybe even sections) that can get deleted before our board will get upgraded. In theory everything from before 1.1.2017 should get deleted but as we like to prevent that from happening we would like to hear from you which things should go.
    Please post your suggestions here: Feedback: Threads/Sections to be deleted
    That we need to do further deletions is non negotiable (already tried that), so please don't post that you don't want anything deleted or similar things like this.

Further information regarding the softwareupgrade will follow soon.

Signatur

• A suggestion could be to delete the spam board as the post count is really high pr thread there, so it would be an efficient way to make some space.
    I guess some people would like to keep some of the threads from there, so maybe those people could detail which to keep?

The User-Introduction-Boards might be worth saving in archived form as there could be some real history hidden there.

g5JBGO0.png

Edited 2 times, last by Parsec ().

• Might as well get rid of the board totally......Was a huge setback when the last deletions occurred. IMO the board posts dropped off massively after the last cull. Really, why invest time posting when it is only going to get deleted? Our history was cleaned right out, and now we want to gut the remainder? Wow, never thought I would see a game/company embarrassed of its past.....Do what you want to do I guess :-(

Hey, I know letssled attacks you a lot with his rips.......and I want to crash those rips a lot!

Words to live by:

Anyway, the bad news is that inviting/trolling me here on this thread or in the ticket system doesn't change your guilt. I suppose the only thing you have left since you're a lying and manipulative cheater is to try and make me dance, so we did the Congo.

5044-08c75f27832ac52db5738e76087c67cadf2baeb5.jpg

Silverwind

• @letssled

IMO the board posts dropped off massively after the last cull.

Am I reading that you'd have us believe that keeping all these old threads that haven't be accessed in 10 years really impacts the activity of the board?

I'm for preserving active threads that are aged and still being used, but things not touched for a decade being saved?

Please, explain this to me so I can understand the reasoning there?

ESeB8X4.png

• Lets play russian roulette and delete everything using a magic 8 ball :)

But yeah delete the spam thread. By the very nature of it its tinned ham

Arcane
    Quit due to shocking support from piink

#MostLikedBoardIdiot

• There is no need to reply to this post as this has already been discussed plentyfull in the other threads regarding deletions.

and @herr gonzo it isn't about the space, it is about the boardsoftware we are using. As it stands it can't really cope with boards bigger than size x and age older than x with x amount of plugins installed over it's lifetime. And no we can't switch boardsoftware.

Signatur

• There needs to be a compromise between remembering history and deleting threads which are pointless.

The spamboard, for example, has some good memories of people who contributed hugely to this community. I think it has lost its way due to lack of activity, but it was a hub of the community and I do know a lot of people who would be upset because some met their other half on that bit of the forum. I don't know about now, but in the past there have been Ogame weddings, which is a lovely thing to consider about this game bringing people together and something that Gameforge should be proud of (as it highlights how their game matters to people). Some threads show the history of these boards better than other parts of the boards. I am pleased for example that my thread, Welcome Tourist was immortalised by being stickied.

Now this doesn't mean all the threads are useful anymore. Trust me, the "Guess Who Posts Next" isn't completely exciting or riveting review of the spamboard history, but some of the historical threads are fantastic. Ruby_Kirby was one user who was an artist and storyteller. He wrote stories like this which are well worth a read for some entertainment.

To put it succinct, "to be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to forever remain a child" (Cicero). If we clarify that being born means before you came here in this context, it is important to know the history of this place. Understandably that means threads need to be deleted, but in context that does mean there needs to be careful consideration of what is important and should be kept. Some of the famous HoFs, for example from outside the spamboard. Maybe TheCat's crazy tech tree expansion threads. Deleting sections that are still in use though (like one or two trolls have suggested) is not funny and is not helpful to the conversation.

• As long as no combat reports and war threads are deleted I don't really care much

BUT

Were it not for software-specific issues, I would not see a single good reason to delete any posts at all

• @Largenton I understand completely what you're saying, and don't have argument with that line of logic. I also appreciate the importance of legacy and history and mean no disrespect to anyone at all....after all, my journey began in this community a very long time ago and though I took a break, my old words and memories are still out there in places

As the BA said there is not really an "option" of saving everything so I had taken a stab at two subsections that seem, from casual first glance, to not be used anymore for a long time. I might be wrong, they may be beloved areas, and I think it's important for anyone that loves them to step up and say something.

I don't think it means the things within are all useless or worthless, but instead it is a place to begin to look around which I felt @NoMoreAngel was asking for in this request.

But by all means, if the real thought here is that deleting some of these untouched areas will harm the community I would say let's figure out what those are....I have no wish to harm the community, but I just don't have a firm grasp on why deleting a spam thread from 2011 is terrible thing to destroy the community if no one has accessed it in 8 years

ESeB8X4.png

• People like to go back and look at their old hits regardless of the number of comments and can also be used by players to show their abilities to alliances they want to join when coming back the game after a break - amongst other things

For fleeters these CRs act as a CV and are important

An older player who had a lot of success back in the days might be discouraged from coming back after realizing all proof of his past hard work and accomplishments are gone and he is now a complete stranger to the community

• I think Lord of Ice has a valid point for certain bits, people like to look at the history of the boards, HoFs, their contributions to threads, etc. The question we need to ask, is there anyway we could perhaps save things elsewhere and link it to this site as a separate archive site? Are there any alternative options that could be utilised to perhaps manage this site better?

• Board posts, as in combat reports, you can get rid of all the other ones IMO, I am here playing a war game. And I for one loved to go back and revisit lost friends comments and old hits. Jeremy, moonstruck, bad back, the hit on Guinness, etc, etc,etc. After playing for 12 years, I enjoy, or did enjoy going back to look at them. But anyway, I used to post all my hits, but after the last cull.....I think 2 total. I tried to put time and thought into making it funny, or at least knowing the story, etc. But can't be bothered if it is going to be deleted. Anywho, didn't matter last time, won't matter this time, so do what you do........

There is no need to reply to this post as this has already been discussed plentyfull in the other threads regarding deletions.
    and @herr gonzo it isn't about the space, it is about the boardsoftware we are using. As it stands it can't really cope with boards bigger than size x and age older than x with x amount of plugins installed over it's lifetime. And no we can't switch boardsoftware.

NMA, with all do respect. There is nothing wrong answering a respectfully asked question........Don't worry, I am pretty much done here. :-)

Hey, I know letssled attacks you a lot with his rips.......and I want to crash those rips a lot!

Words to live by:

Anyway, the bad news is that inviting/trolling me here on this thread or in the ticket system doesn't change your guilt. I suppose the only thing you have left since you're a lying and manipulative cheater is to try and make me dance, so we did the Congo.

5044-08c75f27832ac52db5738e76087c67cadf2baeb5.jpg

Silverwind

• There is nothing wrong answering a respectfully asked question..

In his defense I think he didn't want this to derail into a "should we delete or should we not delete" type of thread.

It is unfortunate, but he has been given an unsavory task that has to be done, and I think he is being respectful here to try and get you guys involved with the process to save what is most important to you.

I fully appreciate your answer and understand what you mean. (and I love a good story on a HOF hit BTW!)

but alas, at the end of this, the community is going to lose some stuff so it's best if we can try and figure out what that is so it isn't as painful as it could be.

ESeB8X4.png

• Could I please ask again if there is some way of maybe moving the threads that we consider not useful at this present time but valuable to another place which would both satisfy the requirements and ensure that people would be able to access them if they wanted.

• I suggested last time - make a backup of the board and make a separate, read only archive forum for it.
    It won't matter if the board or software is laggy as it will be read only.

With this option, they could clear a lot of older posts with out impacting the community, or pissing us off, again.

The sky is not the limit it is only the genesis of dreams.

• If any thing I agree with Wraith02 and I might add I know FA is not very active the siggy and banner section and Ratings sections could be moved to the Spam board. in the entertainment section.
    and all other removed posts could be moved to the read only page.

• It has to be asked (and a reply would be appreciated) is it possible to have a back-up somewhere which is accessible to all, as Wraith02 has suggested and others have supported. We have a possible solution which would be ideal, however, could we have an answer on how feasible it is please?

• In his defense I think he didn't want this to derail into a "should we delete or should we not delete" type of thread.

It is unfortunate, but he has been given an unsavory task that has to be done, and I think he is being respectful here to try and get you guys involved with the process to save what is most important to you.

Correct ;)

And as it's been already said last time deletions have been discussed we can't get another board that is read only where just the threads live and we also won't get a backup of the database so that we could host it ourself. But be asured that I asked someone who had written a programm to copy parts of the board to save them offline for the programm, sadly he lost the code but tries to write me the programm again in time to save threads/sections and upload them later like it has been done with the Last Post Game.

So far these things are on the list for deletion:
    Threads with their last reply before 1.1.2017 from these sections (subsections listed seperatly):
    Game Help
    Board & IRC
    General
    Fan Art
    Sigs and Banners
    Ratings
    Competitions
    Entertainment and Tech
    Discussionboard
    Social Spamboard
    User Introduction Boards

And then there are full sections that are up for deletion:
    RP Area
    GNN - The Galaxy News Network [Closed]
    RP Archives
    Miscellaneous-Section Archive (with subsection)

In case I get the programm to copy threads/sections, it is planned to make a copy of the full section deletions and the User Introduction Boards.
    Keep in mind that this is just a basic plan we came up with on playerfeedback and GF-guidelines, so far it hasn't been presented to piink and is still open to changes/feedback.

Signatur