What’s the benefit of being a GO?

• So, we’ve all seen the recruitment message looking for GO volunteers...but what’s the reward?

Most of us that have been playing a long time probably know on or two GOs and how much work they put in for very little reward, I believe they get a small DM voucher. But at what cost? 2 - 3 hours per day devoted to answering tickets? Having their names dragged through the mud on the forums because they did or did not ban someone? You’re damned if you do or damned if you don’t once the court of public opinion decides to play judge, jury and executioner and scream for blood even though they don’t necessarily have all the facts or a preponderance of evidence.

Dealing with some of these online alpha personalities in the different unis must be exhausting. The constant whining, bickering, complaining, etc.

I imagine that the majority of GOs that also play the game, then truly don’t get to play the game since they’re now devoting so much “free” time to a volunteer job plus real life...and those volunteer hours probably won’t apply to people that log volunteer hours for various causes that track that kind of thing.

What’s the appeal? Your name in shiny gold letters?

Hats off to those with the patience to put up with the aforementioned crap...but for me the juice doesn’t seem to be worth the squeeze.

• I've been both a mod and an operator for a short time, to me it was about the experience, learning and a bit of an ego boost. Didn't last for long because I dislike underperforming, while not having the time or being wiling to put all that work into something that matteres less with every passing day. If I were willing to volunteer, I'd rather do it in a homeless shelter, than help GF fill their pockets.

Being a GO is something for the newer generations who still have illusions about this game and how it's run.

• It depends a lot on expectations and your personal approach.

Of course it is work and time spent on an often thankless task. You can argue that you don't even get any money, so why bother?

You can gain other skills if you take it seriously. You learn to deal with customers, you have to find creativity, and you are able to help players and the community. Game staff do that in more than one way. They help when questions are being asked, when players get insulted or unfairly bashed, and in general they want to ensure that those who play by the rules can so so. It is often frustrating for various reasons, but that is the core of game staff.

Becoming staff and thinking to be better than normal players or trying to misuse the "Power" makes one a very horrible staff member, also when being overambitious.

It is really more a personal gain, and certainly not for everyone. I don't blame people for not becoming staff. It does pay off If you aim for something else than money and benefits.

Gone as BA.

Thank you ruby_kirby, you are a true artist. :)
    Be head to serve, not to reign(Bernard von Clairvaux)

• I will speak for myself, other GOs can answer as they see fit:

It's not my experience that it takes 2-3 hours a day for a GO to answer tickets. I've been a SGO and GO for about 2 years so maybe it goes a slight bit faster for me because I know a lot of the answers and ways to handle issues? I think it's about organization and good note taking, and calm when you get a hot personality.

I understand as a player that bans, delays, and concerns about cheating can be frustrating, and strive to address those concerns as quickly as possible. Remaining calm and professional are imperative, even when I have been cussed out. Following up and being open to a ban being wrongly placed is also important: I am not infallible and will always listen to reasoning, and I'm not afraid to unban if it calls for it. If I do ban, I have good evidence...it's not a whim, and it's not prejudice. There's too much paperwork to waste on flimsy evidence, and way too much paper work to do for an un-ban.

As to time I have to play the game: I often do GO work while I waiting on returns and fleet saves. If you judge it by rank, I'm very successful. I judge it on my own goals, and I feel sufficiently challenged and accomplished. I'm closer to 500.000.000 points than I am 400.000.000....not too bad I think.

The appeal?

I don't need gold letters, titles, promotions or ego stroking. That's not really my deal.

Bottom line: I enjoy making sure the playing field is level and as fair as possible for everyone. However, more important I enjoy helping people resolve a problem and getting them back on track. I feel like after enjoying this game for some odd 12 or more years, I wanted to give back a little.

Until I get tired of Ogame, I'll proudly serve in that capacity with as positive results as I can provide.

Ong7Kn6.png
    SGO - Bellatrix & Quantum & Oberon & Cosmos & Vega & Janice
    Specific In game issue? Please use the ticket system

• answering tickets isn't the only responsibility a GO has. I've done tickets first, that was easy.

Sweeping the universes for shared IP's, checking if there's any info provided by the players, checking the login data from players who seem to be constantly online, checking the fleet logs for inconsistencies, checking planet names for swear words... constantly checking something.

And I was a GO of a dead uni, can't even imagine the proper workload of an active uni.

Had days where I'd be going through top100 sweep, mostly gave up half way through after several hours of constant staring at the numbers and the IP and the previous nicknames and the notes and the logs... never again.

• Note this comment isn’t made towards all GO’s... several good ones out there.

But sometimes you get to make up your own rules and enforce them on only those whom you see fit to enforce them on, plus you get coupons! I also hear dey haz cookies 🍪. Sounds like a win win in my book

“War does not determine who is right — only who is left.”
    Clittle.jpg

Ex- Gmod... don’t bother me anymore

• It is the same as joining a new job the first step you will keep saying , OMG I screwed , its hard ,how to do this, and this.. experience wise it depends on ur skills in ogame .. but on the GO position you always see some new things and tactics it could be legal or illegal that you may never think of .. even if you know the rules 100% the rules are too wide and can be played around alot and thats what most GOs problem face .. You will get some appreciation and people will love you and your work , the next day you will get blamed because you are bad it depends who you take action against ... About timing yes I can say some universes are really dead and you can finish your whole job in like 15 minutes and some active universe a ticket can require a two or three days of checking , You can also sit watching hours things .. I am one of the GOs that don't play any universe anymore but yes I say things are handeled faster now as I have been a Go for almost 2 years. I almost saw all the cases and how things can be handled.. I played before and operated at the same time .. well it depends on your free time.

• But sometimes you get to make up your own rules and enforce them on only those whom you see fit to enforce them on

Total nonsense.

There are several checks and balances in place to prevent just this from happening.

First, the SGO is checking bans as part of their duties, which means they are verifying evidence that the GO acted correctly. The SGO and GO work is checked by the GA , and in some cases the COMA may become involved should the need arise.

Next in the ticket system every player has the right to protest and talk to the GO about the ban and plea a case of innocence. If that player feels that there is some other motive to be had here and has exhausted all reasonable debate, he/she can have the ticket escalated to the SGO for their attention. Once the SGO has it, then the case will be rechecked and heard once more, and once the evidence is debated if the player STILL thinks something is wrong, you can escalate the ticket to the GA who will then take on the case. In some cases the COMA can also become involved to hear a case.

Evidence is evidence...you can't make up rules because if you do as a GO it isn't goign to take long for the SGO then the GA to find out. The guidelines are clearly marked so there is no room to "make up rules". I will concede that sometimes there is a "interpretation" issue but that can be handled with continued trainign from the SGO and then the GA.

Additionally if a GO continues to have "bad evidence" or shows abuses of power they can and will be removed from the team.

I have yet to see these cookies......

Ong7Kn6.png

• I will add one more thing to @Silverwind's excellent statement.
    If a GO is uncertain or simply wants to be have his/her/its conclusion verified before acting,
    they can always ask for the SGO and/or GA to go over all the evidence collected and discuss it.
    That is one of the reasons why the SGO and GA exist.

It doesn't mean we don't get it wrong though.
    I have had to apologize to users before and revert actions I had taken.
    It happens.
    We all make mistakes and I don't think any one of us is scared to admit it.
    Even the more experienced among us screw it up sometimes.
    But we all learn and try not to make the same mistake again.

Ultimately, we want the servers to be fair for every player.
    We want to see this community grow.
    And, naturally, we want to have fun too.
    That is why I became a GO.

• Another benefit of being a GO is that it's not a paid position, so you don't lose any income when they decide to arbitrarily kick you from the team!

Zero lives ruined!

:biggrin:

• Another benefit of being a GO is that it's not a paid position, so you don't lose any income when they decide to arbitrarily kick you from the team!

Neato how you worked that in :flexmuscles::rofl:

Ong7Kn6.png

• For me its mostly just because I like helping out. Haven't been actively playing for years (somewhat motivated by a user taking anger for a case out on my personal account, and couldn't be bothered). That also means that I basically have nothing to use coupons on, so well - that part is also irrelevant except for gifts to users that might deserve/need it - if for instance screwed by odd rules or similar.

When I initially joined as GO, I did enjoy using the coupons, but they were more of a side benefit - not the reason I joined.

At another point I stayed because there was and is some great people in the community and team, which also made a difference, but yea - as time goes on and Ogame sadly does deteriorate I do wonder from time to time, why I am still here. The recent change with a new forum might revitalize something or be the reason I end up leaving at some point.

Do I enjoy my title or color? Not really. I did like my previous post account on the dk.board but that was more the case of it showing my activity over the years.

At the most basic, it is always nice to help someone and receive some gratitude.

• At the most basic, it is always nice to help someone and receive some gratitude.

That actually goes a very long way for me as well...good point I forgot!

Ong7Kn6.png