Quitting Ogame to play XXX

• I was introduced to Ogame by a group of friends 10 years ago. It brings back a lot of fond memories. I was a total noob back then, couldn't care less about ranks, and I had a ton of fun playing it. Still ended up being a decent-but-not-great player.

A few months ago I discovered that it still existed, so out of nostalgia I signed up. First impression was great, it was everything I remembered. Second impression was that the game was incredibly easy compared to what I remembered : people leave tons of ships on their planets, don't FS, just free recycling targets in unis with 80% DF.

So I made it to the top50 of the first uni I played in (Himalia). Then I deleted my account for RL reasons. Started again a few weeks later on US Zibal. Made it to about the same rank there. Then on Janice, made it to the top25...before deciding to quit for good.

Why? Because I started growing more and more dissatisfied with the game. How was it fair that I had no moon on my Zibal account (uni was 30% DF so moonshots were just not viable at this stage), but many players had 3 or 4 moons thanks to a blatant use of premium items? How was it fair that half the players in the top100 had +3 to espionage from commanding staff? How was it fair that they had planets relocated to pos 15's which gave them over +50% to their deut production? How was it fair that instadef even exists in this game? What's the counterplay to instadef? Even if you slow down your fleet with ACS they'll still instadef just before it hits so you still have no way to see it coming. Instadef is the literal equivalent of entering a cheat code to destroy an attacking fleet.

I can say with confidence that on the 3 universes I played on, over 80% of the top50 players are wallet warriors. I often see threads ranting about one specific player who bought his way to the top, but it's ALL players who do that. I think it's really sad that these people think they can brag about their rank. Unless you got there without paying a single dollar (like I did), YOU BOUGHT CHEAT CODES TO GET THERE SO YOUR RANK IS COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS.

And don't give me that "developers need to eat" BS. You can make money by selling cosmetics only, there's absolutely no need to sell cheat codes. Mobas like Dota and League of Legends make millions with that model, and Ogame could use some nice skins and graphics.

Since I still thought that Ogame was a great concept before GF killed it, I looked for alternatives. And :censored: was the best I found by far. It has a steep learning curve, but IMO it's a strictly better game. Same thing, it's about building up your economy, alliances and raiding players through big fleet battles. But the main differences are all positive :

- Equal strength combat. In :censored:, you can't attack with a bigger fleet than your target. So the combat is all about tactics, fleet compositions and targeting choices. While in Ogame it's just "bigger fleet wins" with very little tactics.

- Instant attacks. No travel time, your target can't react. Why is it impossible to attack online players in Ogame? Why is resource saving a thing? Why should you get any advantage for being online? In :censored:, you don't.

- Graphic battles. It's simple 2D animation, but I think it looks pretty cool.

- It's completely free. Although I'll be giving them money since they deserve it.

- ZERO pay2win whatsoever. They even make fun of it with a pay to win button that says "you win" when you click it.

:censored: filled my need for a space MMO completely, check it out. But if you still want to stick with Ogame despite agreeing with me, seriously, make an alliance dedicated to crushing wallet warriors. That's your only way to survive and keep the game healthy.

..::Edit by NoMoreAngel|Censored the other games name, Advertisments aren't allowed|16.9.2019|22:51:23::..

• Please explain, in what way would you like skins introduced into OGame, according to MOBA models? Different text color? Different ship images?

There is absolutely no room for cosmetics considering the other player sees nothing of that.

Everyone buys skins in Dota because other players can drool how pretty they are, but no one is going to tell you "man, your battleships look crazy!" because all they're gonna see from them in the combat report is going to be Battleship (-149) 2922 or something like that.

I don't understand why you are being pissed about DM, first of all, this is nothing new. It's been happening for a long time now and it has already been discussed thousand of times and in fact it's already a well known circlejerk but the convention is that skill wins over wallet in the long run.

Also, in the long run insta def will never work unless on farm fleet and why would someone spend a bunch of money to take down 500SC and 50cr if it's 2 year old uni? There's no point.

As for insta def, you make sure antigame planet list checks out with player's astro level and if there's no activity you're good to go.

I use DM like everyone else, because sometimes I don't want to wait until 6AM for my ships to build or something else, if I can give 5€ and get a few extra hours of sleep I will gladly do it. (plus I'm in old dead uni so it doesn't really affect anyone)

You could say insta fleet is OP but consider people still farm those resources, recycle people and whatever.

Real P2W comes with real prices and people rarely buy that and even if they do, the price you need to pay to make resources appear out of thin air is truly astronomical and like 0,01% people do that I think.

Let's go on:

Fleet composition greatly matters and it's not about who has a bigger fleet. That's why you have rapidfire, shield, attack and other stats for every ship. There's also combat research that can greatly affect outcome of battle, especially when we're talking big big numbers.

I don't understand why you're asking the part about instant battles. It's like comparing Unreal Tournament and Half Life and asking why there's no radiation suit in UT. It's different games, travel times are a part of whole concept of the game and they allow for an ocean of new tactics that usually wouldn't be possible, plus I don't want to build something for such a long time just for someone stronger to press a click and destroy me. THEN dark matter would be really OP unlike now. (not saying it doesn't give advantage, early game advantage is HUGE, but as I said, as you approach 6 months mark on every uni, it gets less and less effective over time)

Travel times is basically the only thing enabling better, but weaker players to get their advantage and keep developing without someone constantly molesting them.

Regarding battle animation, it's cool and all, but considering vast number of ships some players have (check uni1 top battles for example) I assume the fleets of both players would have to be procedurally generated (spacing, position etc), it would get laggy and buggy real quick, then shooting part would be kinda weird because each ships fires X amount of times (just imagine making an animation for 1 million cruisers against idk 20 million LFs, that would last for days, all in all, a massive amount of work for little to no profit and whole project is more complicated than more simple projects GF already gave up on.
    It's a browser based game after all and most people are only interested in the numbers in the end.

OGame is also completely free. You said it yourself, you're rank 25-50 in each uni, what's the problem then?

There really are players here who spend all day in front of a computer and who actively play this game for more than 10 years. How do you expect to get in front of them so easily? You'd be surprised how much more depth the game has than you think it does, every time I thought I knew everything I'd find out about some small detail from someone and be fascinated about it.

I simply think you don't like how the game works and that's fine, there's no reason to be angry about it. Be happy you found the game you like more instead. Have fun :)

• I am returning after a Long break from the game. None of this is news to may players and as savage said skill always wins in the long run. Time, patience and hard work will always pay out. I have never been a big spender and I had some huge accounts (top 10 Capella, Rank 1 Mizar) before the days of instant buy and excessive DM usage. (I am even one of those that remembers epic blue - not sure how many are left here now). That said the game is not what it used to be. But OGame is a game of skill at its core. You can buy the big numbers but you can never buy the skill or the legacy that many of the skilled none spenders have. It does sadden me to see who the game has progressed but we called this out before V3 became the default version. Game has been this way for a LONG time now.

• Equal strength combat. In , you can't attack with a bigger fleet than your target. So the combat is all about tactics, fleet compositions and targeting choices. While in Ogame it's just "bigger fleet wins" with very little tactics.

- Instant attacks. No travel time, your target can't react. Why is it impossible to attack online players in Ogame? Why is resource saving a thing? Why should you get any advantage for being online? In , you don't.

I've just re-read this and I'm actually not sure you understand OGame that well. No tactics in OGame? and fleet comp doesn't matter in OGame? Okay so tell me this, why do you think that people put huge amounts of light fighters at the front their fleets in big battles? Its not cause they have a high attack damage its because they are cheap to lose and they soak up rapid fire and the way battles are calculated they are more likely to be hit than your back line BS, BC and Des which you want to stay in for as long as possible.

Second, what do you think rapid fire is? Because it matters... you're not going to send only BS to fight BC heavy fleet, you will send either BC or Des. So yes fleet comp matters.

Third, if you look at big hits that have been planned especially in the older Uni's fleet ordering is very important to minimise losses. Putting different ships in a set ACS order can change the shape of a battle significantly so people will ACS themselves and send fleets in different slots to get the preferred order.

Fourth, No tactics? Okay what about MD hits, time-backs, DF watches, etc? There are people in this game that have made hits no-one else could because of pure skill.

Fifth, instant attacks sounds like a load of :censored:.

Sixth, I've attacked, farmed and crashed many players that have been online. See fourth point for the how.

Seventh, resource saving is a thing because you need to buy things? I mean im not sure I understand what you're trying to get at here???

Lastly, you get an advantage for being online because.. Well.. It's a game? again I'm not sure I really understand your point.

• The guy posting is nothing more than an average player as he mentioned. Some things that were mentioned seemed a little ridiculous but hits home about an underlining issue. DM warriors and illegal scripts/codes are truelly killing the game. They wanna incorporate DM advantages than fine but take care of your pathetic game. The amount of unfair play is ridiculous and so many others are sick of it. Not to take away from anyone's hard work, but flyingindutchman seemed to progress nicely and climb the leaderboards to a respectable position that shows your willingness and potential to do better. Note top50 inst exactly hard but it can be very difficult for the majority of players. Sometimes a player joined late and farms all the inactices and multi acct that arent competing for rank and is just inflating the amount of people you are actually playing with. This is as general as I'll keep it but GF needs to do a billion times better. Take care of your game, take care of your players; and stop letting crooks get away with murder the way dirty cops do.

Will we see another merge? Maybe

More DM options to gain an advantage? Probably

Less volunteers to help solve or make problems worse? Absolutley

Creation of new universes? Without a dought many times a year.

Will players continue to progress BILLIONS every day and have nothing done? Of course.

Are there still reasons to play this game? A very short list.