Why does it always have to be kosher salt in US-cooking?

• bibob

Because kosher salt isn't chemically treated so therefor it is better for you.

The last restaurant I worked in we ran out of kosher salt so I asked about using table salt. My boss nearly fired me for even making the suggestion. I was the head prep cook.

a1_Blueeyedwolfgo.jpg
    Thank you for the great sig Blackmass.

• bibob

The last restaurant I worked in we ran out of kosher salt so I asked about using table salt. My boss nearly fired me for even making the suggestion. I was the head prep cook.

Your ex boss is an idiot, salt aside, that's not how you treat your employees.

To me it pretty much looks like a common belief adopted by general public, be it because sales (like himalayan salts which were actually proven not to have any health benefits over regular salt or even potential hazards, or eating carrots = good eyesight, GMO = bad, etc...) or some random story which surfaced out of nowhere.

Kosher salt was initially used because it's more efficient at extracting blood from dead animals compared to regular salt.

Other than that, chemical composition should be the same and nothing else special about it, maybe your boss insisted for the kosher salt because it's more exotic in homes compared to regular salt so it makes guests feel "special".

And btw, just because something is not chemically treated doesn't mean it's better for you. Not sure why in 2020 we still have to discuss such a subject given that modern civilization is resting at the hands of chemically treated food and everything else, but again, sales, profit, sales, profit.

• Kosher salt has a flaky structure that makes it easy to spread atop your food. Though it’s not much different than regular salt, it’s less likely to contain anti-caking agents and added iodine.

(also adding iodine to salt is good lol)

• Yes as iodine deficiency causes your neck glands (I think) to get swollen, we literally call the condition 'choke' here, even though I think the condition isn't as easy to get. I don't think I've seen many people having it.

• bibob

Chemically treated does not imply it's unhealthier. And I highly doubt kosher salt or any kind of salt just gets collected, bagged and put out for sale directly from the salt mines.