MERGE UNIS

• Something which concerns me, which was pointedly not addressed last time merges happened, is that whoever decides on the mechanics seems to have an extremely limited understanding of the actual game and how the different servers play.

For instance, we were told last time that for Rigel (a 1x/1x 30%df uni) the most compatible targets were uni 1 (1x/5x/30% - fine) and Quantum (5x/5x/50%) with the kicker being that if you already had an account in uni 1 then you would face the extremely unpalatable choice of merging to quantum (rendering your account virtually unplayable, especially if you were a fleeter) or having to delete your uni 1 account to merge there (as account trading had not been released). What's more, if you had accounts in both servers you would be randomly merge with no say whatsoever :confused:

The justification for quantum being selected as a target for Rigel was nothing to do with the servers themselves, it was based on the comparative age of the servers - a totally useless metric which I hope is abandon this time around.

In case any total noobs / the designers of the previous merge (two groups which are by no means mutually exclusive) are wondering why merging a single speed server into a 5x speed server isn't a good idea/a fair way to treat their players, not only is there a huge points disparity but many players specifically select the fleet speed of their server in order to allow them to build an account which fits with their life circumstances. Forcibly changing those settings completely disrupts the way those players play the game and in all likelihood results in their hard work being destroyed.

This merge item suggestion only makes me more concerned, either it's accessibility will be limited to the point where it is of little use or (as I suspect) it will be a tool for top level, conveniently cash rich, players to move to new hunting grounds which they can completely decimate, before moving on to the next ones. I know this happens in merges anyway because I've been the one doing it, but allowing players to pay for the privilege seems to me to be little more than marketisation of the most unfair aspects of server merges. I hope this suggestion is given careful consideration to limit the impact tat a paying player moving to a new server has.

Of course there will be players who start in a lower speed server and can adapt to a higher speed but I expect these are the minority. Asking players who have put time, effort and often cash into building their account in certain settings, only to be wrenched out of those settings and had the game speed turned up with the likely result of them being crashed and quitting, seems deeply unfair to me and I hope that someone from the team can address these issues before any merge proposals are released.

• Agreed with Firestorm but also have a further worry.

If the powers that be try to do some half-assed “balancing” of the merge items, whereby you can’t merge into a uni where your account will be top 10 or 20 for example, then it would just lead to servers left to rot. The top 10 of virgo could not move to the most logical destination of uni 1, because they’d go into the top 20 so virgo would become a wasteland where everyone below moves into fresh pastures and the top players, are left wondering wtf they did wrong.

this is purely speculation, but it really wouldn’t surprise me if something that Ill thought out was brought forward

• Agreed with Firestorm but also have a further worry.

If the powers that be try to do some half-assed “balancing” of the merge items, whereby you can’t merge into a uni where your account will be top 10 or 20 for example, then it would just lead to servers left to rot. The top 10 of virgo could not move to the most logical destination of uni 1, because they’d go into the top 20 so virgo would become a wasteland where everyone below moves into fresh pastures and the top players, are left wondering wtf they did wrong.

this is purely speculation, but it really wouldn’t surprise me if something that Ill thought out was brought forward

I feel you, but there should be a limit and this one seems legit, as don't allow to go in a younger uni.

If i understood correctly this item will not mean "no more planned merges".

So those players you talked about have just to wait for the regular merge.

Anyway firestorm has a point, fleet speed is the most important setting, merges should be done based on it.

What i hope however is that they will not use this "merge item" as an excuse to do wrong merges and force people to shop it, to not see all their time and efforts wasted forever.

On a note, i think that a good game should be able to provide shop to do things faster, not to do things that a f2p player cannot afford, or afford in a difficult way/time.

This item, as reloc before it, will mean exactly the opposite. Cause i already saw many moves players did with free MO (found) wasted cause wrong merges or something else.

All this to say that, whatever they'll decide to do, their focus should be to do not allow the time invested by their customers go wasted.

Keep that in mind GF, cause every move you do may means less customers. Less customers will mean that you may sell top 1 spot directly, but none will buy it if there is no competition for the "glory"...and you already lost many customers during time, so many that merges are needed sooner every time.

• I hear ya Crash Bandicoot but it needs to be less crude. Or your (likely) most active players will get crapped on.

something like “no more than 105% of the current rank 1 or something.

my real hope was for there to be 5 - 10 new servers created with a variety of settings and people can choose to go to any one of these fresh servers. It means the old safe systems wouldn’t exist and everyone starts in the same boat.

• Cassandra Vandales This would be my approach:

Server list to be merged:

Universe 1 - 1x/5x/30%

Quantum - 5x/7x/50%

Vega - 2x/7x/70%

Cygnus - 4x/7x/70%

Oberon - 5x/7x/70%

Uriel - 3x/7x/70%

Virgo - 1x/7x/50%

Xanthus - 6x/7x/70% - NON ACS

Zibal - 2x/7x/70%

Aquarius - 1x/7x/80% - DIDF

Bellatrix - 3x/6x/70%

Cosmos - 3x/5x/50%

Dorado - 1x/1x/30%

Europa - 6x/6x/40%

Fenrir - 6x/6x/80% - DIDF

Galatea - 1x/4x/50% - DIDF

Exodus Group 1:

Virgo

Aquarius

Galatea

Targets:

Universe 1

Vega

Exodus Group 2:

Zibal

Bellatrix

Cosmos

Targets:

Universe 1

Uriel

Vega

Exodus Group 3:

Cygnus

Oberon

Europa

Fenrir

Targets:

Quantum

Xanthus

Uriel

With the result being that you have the following servers:

Dorado - 1x/1x/30%

Universe 1 - 1x/5x/30%

Vega - 2x/7x/70%

Uriel - 3x/7x/70%

Quantum - 5x/7x/50%

Xanthus - 6x/7x/70%

I believe this would preserve the fleet speed settings as far as reasonably possible whilst simultaneously avoiding any servers being left behind. You could drop Uriel as a target for group 3 if the players of Uriel are opposed to being a target for an older server like Cygnus, that is the one I would be most concerned over. Equally you could drop Uriel as a target server and make it an exodus server in group 2 if there were appetite for that. I selected Xanthus as a target over Cygnus simple because it offers a little more variety but you could easily swap these two depending on the desires of those servers.

I don't play anywhere which is DIDF so I do not know how much players build their accounts around this setting and would be interesting to hear from those who do. It would presumably be perfectly feasible to preserve a server like aquarius with DIDF if there were appetite for that.

I have left Dorado out because I think it is good to retain a nostalgic "vanilla" server, however I don't play there either so I am sure the players in Dorado will be better judges of whether they would like to be merged or not. If it were merged it would obviously go into exodus group 1, or possibly as another target for group 1.

Another issue I am conscious of is server space, however, Virgo was previously a target with only 6 galaxies so I have assumed this means that Uriel can be a feasible target. If not you could rotate Uriel with Cosmos. I also assume it must be possible to add galaxies to servers to accommodate need?

I have also assumed it is possible to have three target servers. If two is the maximum I would probably drop uni 1 from group 2's targets or make Uriel an exodus as set out above, depending on the appetites of those servers.

Finally, my cut off at Galatea was on the fairly arbitrary measure that the servers past Galatea are less than a year old. However, if there were appetite amongst the players there to be merged you would add Himalia, Indus and Janice into exodus group 3, Kalyke into exodus group 2 etc.

Ultimately you can play about with the formula I have laid out above and swap servers in and out depending on how the players there feel but I think what is key is that each exodus server must be offered at least one option of equal or slower speed and if higher speed options are offered they should be as close to the speed of that server as possible.

Thanks for listening to my Ted Talk.

• I was going to write a post here and then Firestorm said everything I was going to say more or less.... not that that's going to stop me from writing a long piece too :ninja:

So... mergers... a very controversial topic when it comes to what goes where. What I say next is based on IF a mass merge were to happen before we get to choose where we go ourselves (see part 2). I think a lot of the player base has already concluded that this is probably what's going to happen. I mean it makes sense right?

If there's anything we've learnt from the previous merge processes & what the player base thinks about it's the following:

1) Universe speeds

2) Universe sizes

3) Account sizes

1) Universe Speeds

This is a pretty fundamental one for every player in the game. When we choose which universes we want to play we choose the universes that we can physically play. If we have the stamina for faster universes... we play those faster universes. If not, we play slower universes. I know this'll seem a bit silly as most of us are in lockdown at the moment irl but a lot of that comes down to what life each of us lives. Universe speeds can literally be impossible for some players to play due to real life circumstances etc.

The point is. If we're a x1 player or a x2 player in a universe like Virgo, Aquarius, etc., then there's a very good chance that we won't be able to play in a forced merge to a x5 universe for example. Would a player in this position even want to? (see point 3).

Therefore, it's imperative that nobody is forced into a situation like Firestorm suggested where someone would be forced into a higher speed. That's point one. Now... point 2.

2) Universe sizes

This is one a lot of us have complained about before. Endless inactives... endless vacation mode accounts blocking our ability to move around a universe we come to. Target universes must have the room to enable players to have that freedom. Unfortunately, yet inevitably, universe 1 is pretty full. I think we all know that GameForge is never going to sanction universe 1 becoming an exodus at this point & it's 100% going to be a target universe. One thing people have suggested over and over again is for a copy universe to be made where either all the active accounts or inactive accounts (or enough of them) are moved so room is made in universe 1 for exodus universes like Virgo, Aquarius etc. to move into.

Therefore, the size of a universe must be considered when the decision comes to make it a target or an exodus.

3) Account sizes

This is a pretty obvious one I think that everyone will agree on. Don't let small universes get squished by large players. Need I say more? In order to accomplish this I would consider having a 2 tier system for mergers. One for older/bigger universes & one for the smaller universes only.

Idea

Tier 1:

Target Universes (Target Group 1)

Universe 1 - 1x/5x/30% (It's already too full a universe but well... nostaglia) (see above suggestion)

Vega - 2x/7x/70% (Number of accounts that are too big for exodus without ruining the balance)

Quantum - 5x/7x/50% (Same as Vega)

Xanthus - 6x/7x/70% - NON ACS (Change Xanthus potentially to an acs universe or keep the option of 2 fast universes, one acs one non-acs) (Xanthus as a target is a deliberate choice as it has 9 galaxies already and only 1.1k accounts. It has plenty of room.)

Exodus Universes (Exodus Group 1)

Following Firestorm 's suggestion these could be the exodus universes for tier 1. The only differences are that I've suggested Uriel as an exodus & not a target & removed Cosmos:

Virgo

Aquarius

Zibal

Bellatrix

Cygnus

Oberon

Europa

Fenrir

Uriel

Tier 2:

Deciding the makeup of this tier was tricky as there's more to consider, such as universe ages. There is an argument to be made that tier 2 simply doesn't happen & the only mergers that happen are those listed above.

Target Universes (Target Group 2)

Leda - x3/x5/60% (The sheer size of the rank 1 here has made this universe a target. This is very much an anomaly.)

Galatea - x1/x4/50% + 50% DiDF (Removal of DiDF could be an option here. Galatea has been listed as a target to allow players an option for x1 play in this tier.)

*Octans - x5/x7/60% DF (Typically this universe would be too young for a merge. However the sheer growth in this universe could enable it to be a target. Making Octans a target would give players the ability to choose a wider variety of speeds.)

This was a tricky one to decide. The only reason Leda is a target & not Kalyke is because of the sheer size of the rank 1 account compared to others in this tier.

Exodus Universes (Exodus Group 1)

Cosmos

Himalia

Indus

Kalyke

Fenrir

*Bellatrix

Excluded Universes

Dorado - 1x/1x/30% (Original settings)

Mensa - x1/x5/70% (Made December 20th 2019)

Norma - x4/x6/70% (Made February 3rd 2020)

*Octans - x5/x7/60% (Made March 23rd 2020)

Pasiphae - x1/x6/60% + 50% DiDF (Made May 4th 2020)

This leaves a total of 6 or 7 universes existing in .org with 2 tiers. One for the bigger universes & one for the smaller universes with an option of speeds to play at & as far as possible... universes with room to play & move in. Also, an argument could be made to make the exluded universes as part of tier 2. However, I'd leave them be myself.

Merge Items

I know I've said a fair amount for the merge process... if there even is one lol before merge items are made a thing.

This is pretty simple though. There must be some limitations on what players can do with the merge item for the same reasons listed above. We can't have huge accounts come to baby universes & destroy them. This ended up happening in Oberon in the last merge & instantly killed the universe.

Therefore, there must be some rank or point limitation to this. Personally I don't think I could offer up a solution that'd be perfect right now without thinking of the permutations but essentially the end result must be that no accounts completely ruin the balance of a universe. I think I saw it suggested just before this post but something based on an average of the top 10-20 or making sure an account isn't bigger than the existing rank 1 by 1.5x or something. Again, I don't have the perfect number but I think those suggestions could be a good guide.

Anyway... I'll stop rambling.

edit: Forgot to ping Cassandra Vandales enjoy :oops:

edit 2: Removed Galatea from Tier 1 (typo)

giphy.gif

~ Top 10s: 14 (18) + Assist on Worldwide Number 1 + Worldwide Number 2 (suicide) ~ RiPs: 80.962 ~

~ The one & only Peppa & SGO for Cygnus/Dorado/Leda/Zibal/Fenrir ~

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kaldor ().

• 1、duet consum is very important consideration. with 50% duet, exp player increase 3% perday, and after 3 month, they catch up with old 100% duet server, and after 3 month, they are far away.

2、market place is another , player open more than 100 newbie accounts, they exp all day long with *****(the tool you know that), then push to main account, even in a very new univer, there is very strong account with nearly no MD point and a fool controller.

I do think the discover class is ruining the game. and I have no chance but to choose it too.

• glad someone noticed.