Laser technology reduces the cost of buildings by 1% per level.

• In the recent times, we got great changes to the plasma and hyperspace techs. The laser tech could be next.

My proposal is that it should reduce the cost of buildings by 1%, which is small enough to not be overkill and large enough to make a worthwhile impact at higher levels. I can easily see miners dump hundreds of millions of resources and a month of research to get laser 24 because the investment will be repayed when they build new mines, and thus make laser just as important as plasma or astrophysics in the optimization of a build order.

Optionally, the change could affect only metal and crystal costs, because a better laser cutting precision means less material wasted in the process of building, while its functioning cost (deut) is unchanged.

• nice suggestion, but 1% si a lot.

with something like 0.05% you still have a nice amount of saved resources without changing the game too much.

kira

[FREGA] uni Quasar.it

• Yes but still it is a good addition and improvement to the game which will be appreciated if done so :) I agree with this if it will be implemented:)

“Accept that because we were born with nothing, we can become anything!” – Sora

• I don't like the idea.

I would want something more investable personally.

Maybe Laser tech could work to benefit all the class ships in some way? (Crawler, Reaper, Pathfinders)

• In the recent times, we got great changes to the plasma and hyperspace techs. The laser tech could be next.

My proposal is that it should reduce the cost of buildings by 1%, which is small enough to not be overkill and large enough to make a worthwhile impact at higher levels. I can easily see miners dump hundreds of millions of resources and a month of research to get laser 24 because the investment will be repayed when they build new mines, and thus make laser just as important as plasma or astrophysics in the optimization of a build order.

Optionally, the change could affect only metal and crystal costs, because a better laser cutting precision means less material wasted in the process of building, while its functioning cost (deut) is unchanged.

So I did some basic math. I didn’t calculate it down to the second obviously but in 15 weeks, 12 hours and roughly 31 minutes I could complete all levels between 13 and 25. That’s nothing and it’d be worth the wait and here’s why. I could be at level 20 by the end of the week. It creates this loop where it becomes absurdly easy to build mines. Let’s say I’m Collector, make 2.2 billion metal and 575 million crystal. My next round of mines is level 44 metal mines. Without trading, I can build one a week at 2.2 billion metal and 560kk crystal. If I got that 25% discount it makes it roughly 1.65 billion metal and 420kk crystal. Admittedly its still pretty slow at this point building 5 or 6 mines a month. You basically get a free mine upgrade every 4th mine. Two or three levels of each mine and you’re ready for another level of laser tech in no time, maybe two. Some well executed trades, the next round of Astro and that 2.2 billion metal you were making is 3.4 billion and crystal wise maybe 800 million a week. With changes coming to collector someone with more brain power than I would be able to setup a virtually unstoppable rhythm of research and mines that would only be slowed down by the time spent constructing mines and doing research. Cutting down mine construction time is easy with high level nanites and at that point I would not be concerned at all with spending DM on laser tech for anything beyond level 27. We didn’t even touch the fact that deut could be merched into crystal and metal.

I love the idea of making laser tech useful. I’d rather see it go to speeding up research though. Even with a 1% speed up per level you still run into lengthy research times in late game.

• Don't forget the start of the game. You say that you could upgrade your tech by 10 levels at once but you account is very advanced. Everyone also suddenly researched 10 levels of hyperspace tech when the change was added. The suggested change has a usefulness tipping point where it becomes absolutely profitable to upgrade the tech and you are well past it for now.

The balance of this technology comes with the fact that for every extra 1% its cost doubles, while mines costs are in ^1.5 or ^1.6. Things slow down. Your research frenzy stops naturally after some point.

Also please don't bring dark matter in the conversation as it obviously destroys any idea of balancing based on time and that is true for any tech. Not everyone wants to spend 20€ for an upgrade. That being said, making it a tech as important as astrophysics (at least for collectors) does have the side effect of buffing DM users, again... Which I don't care about anymore. They pay for the servers, they can stay on the top. We can't balance anything around that.

• Every tech should have a purpose beyond its basic original purpose of just unlocking something be it a building or another research etc etc. I agree with the idea that laser tech should have a purpose per level be it decreasing building times or research speed. The issue with both of these are we already have something else doing both of these. Nanite reduces build speed and IRN "basically" reduces research speed. So the key would be finding something new and different that fits to what a laser would be able to do. Perhaps increased laser damage per level by 0.5%? So any ship or defense using lasers has increased damage? 0.5% isn't a drastic increase so it wouldn't really feel game breaking but you should still be able to see the difference in it.

• This will not happen, as account points are based on investment costs. I'm sure there would be a ton of backend pain if account points were tied to a particular research, or if suddenly points no longer reflected the resources spent.

GF is careful to not make chances that would cause immediate shifts in points. You can take a look at the change of cost for the Ion Cannon. Originally it was 2k/6k Metal/Crystal, and is now 5k/3k. Note that the total for both is 8k, so points were not affected.