Noob protection is broken in small unis

• This is technically not a bug, which actually makes it even worse.

With the ogame in its current state (low player base), it is normal to have communities with 200 players max and less then 100 active players.

Noob protection works in a way that you are allowed to attack players within 100 military ranks, no matter how many total points they have.

So here is an example of how this works in small communities/universes : top ranked player has 1 billion points and 500 million in military. A new player joins the uni, builds some ships and gets in Top 100 millitary as a result. This player can have just several thousand points... And guess what, everyone in the uni, including that top player with a billion points, can bash the hell out of the newbie.

Even at the start of the universe the protection is useless because everyone with ships will be in top 100 military.

The solution is simple - noob protection should look at military POINTS, not rank, to determine if a player will be protected or not.

• then you run in a stituation where no1 has 500mil and no2 has 10mil, all rest is much lower, as a result no1 has no atackable player even if he wants to crash 2 probes for the event or to help with FS

I am makeing Silverwind's days

And I am savage now!

• then you run in a stituation where no1 has 500mil and no2 has 10mil, all rest is much lower, as a result no1 has no atackable player even if he wants to crash 2 probes for the event or to help with FS

No because noob protection works only up to 500k points. After 500k no one is protected.

But under 500k military rank rule messes things up as described.

• Actually, noob protection is based on points, not rank.

As soon as you have 500k points, noob protection no longer applies.

The idea is, noob protection will provide you enough time to understand the game.

After 500k points, you are a viable target for any player.

By the way, it used to be much worse.

When I started playing, noob protection ended at 5k points.

You either learned to survive (by asking questions), or you rage quit.

You can read more about noob protection here:

http://wiki.ogame.org/index.php/Tutorial:Noob_Protection

• Hi there,

so if the 1st player in Universe has 200m points, and Uni is less than 1 year old, newbie protection should be on 500k?

I have situation where, when you create account you are in top 70, and players less then 50k having no protection (1st has 200m) and btw that is the newest uni on our domain, should I advice people not to play and wait for new opening and this one just left to die?

• kewlness

Not entirely true. Yes, after 500k protection is lost, but I'm talking about protection under 500k.

There is a second factor which takes into account military rank. You can attack anyone within 100 military RANKS up or down.

Small communities, and even org on older unis, barely have 100 accounts. This mean that as soon as you join the uni and build your first ship or defence basically anyone can attack you.

Trust me, as I just started in an older uni and got bashed for fun with barely 10K points from a player with 70M points.

• Ah, I misunderstood.

You are talking about the honor point system (also explained in the article I linked).

Yes, this could allow a top ranked player to hit somebody below 500k points.

However, this was always the case even when the universes were much bigger.

You still have the advantage of automatic fleet escape (at 1:5 ratio with your 10k account).

I will provide this feedback to Gameforge.