20 seconds rule - clarification

• this rule is just pure nonsense created by people that havent played the game in years

i've had dozens of hits where someone probed in the 30s before i hit because they saw a timer, or the opposite, where i'm probing their target because i see a timer. apparently that now gets both of us banned? LMAO

• Well shit....I safety probe all the time unless I know my target very well....But imagine this

Player A Pops Player B's moon and sits and watches.....The mission is a deploy.....Player B recalls while Player A is watching....Now Player A does their calculations and is able to hone in on Player B's fleet landing time.....Player A sends his attack and it's 3 seconds fast.....Player A knows this....So before the attack lands Player A of course slows his fleet down to be 8 seconds behind Player B....But Player B has called in help and has a friend ACS defend that lands 1 second behind his fleet....If Player A can't safety probe then he's screwed because he'd never know that ACS defend is there....Talk about GF turning the tables to favor 1 side over the other

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Ghostwolf, and Hell followed with him.

Veni Vidi Vici

Audaces Fortuna Iavat

• One sec, I thought esp reports don't show ACS Defend? I thought for that, you need to lanx anyway

Returning to the game after being gone for several years.

Everything is new, so the count must start again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

HoF: 12

Advanced HoF: 3

RIP Kills: 10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Historical Ranking:

Electra Top 150; Vega Top 200; Supernova Top 200; Belinda Top 100; Bellatrix Top 100

Ancient IGNs:

DisIsDaPlayer328

Moonshine328

superninjaboi

• Well shit....I safety probe all the time unless I know my target very well....But imagine this

Player A Pops Player B's moon and sits and watches.....The mission is a deploy.....Player B recalls while Player A is watching....Now Player A does their calculations and is able to hone in on Player B's fleet landing time.....Player A sends his attack and it's 3 seconds fast.....Player A knows this....So before the attack lands Player A of course slows his fleet down to be 8 seconds behind Player B....But Player B has called in help and has a friend ACS defend that lands 1 second behind his fleet....If Player A can't safety probe then he's screwed because he'd never know that ACS defend is there....Talk about GF turning the tables to favor 1 side over the other

How exactly would safety probe help you in this situation where defend lands together with the fleet?

1. If you rely on safety probe (even if 6 seconds were allowed), player will have time to escape. 6 seconds is more than enought to escape.

2. You would have a really hard time recalling the fleet within 6 seconds and would likely end up crashed. The report needs to land in the inbox, you need to click a few times, read it, rush to recall button. It's a huge risk.

No player in their sane mind would perform such an attack where you're basically flying to the guaranteed slaughter.

The only way to play this properly so it's not a suicide mission is to pop the originating moon and attack the planet which you can lanx.

So bottom line the example you described does not apply. I have not heard a single example where "safety" probing has any usefulness. You all do it because it gives you a sense of safety, no matter how false that may be.

• So you can escape in 6 seconds but not recall? Lmao, way to structure an argument. Even with the game as is, 6 seconds is enough to recall.

Attacking a moon, you safety probe to avoid acs defend.

Attacking a planet with rips, you safety probe to avoid moon drop ninja. To name but 2 examples.

I honestly don’t know how you can keep spouting off about safety probes not being useful, you clearly have no idea how to safety probe correctly.

20 second rule does not stop you doing this, but it makes it more of a pain in the backside with longer slows

Space Pyrate

• Not really sure where to start so we'll go in order

1. Nowhere did I say to rely on a safety probe but it's a thing that's done when attacking another's moon. And with the game lag 6 seconds is barely enough time if it's enough time to escape an incoming attack (lots of clicks and different screens)

2. Not really because honestly it's 3 clicks....Click 1 taking a fast look at the esp report, click 2 the fleet screen and click 3 the recall....It's close but can be done, lots of fleeters in the past have done this, myself included. I've lost some of those fleets, most recent to Issac and I've saved some fleets....It's a coin toss but one I'd rather have in my back pocket

And to your point if 6 seconds is more than enough time to escape then why the whining about a safety probe??....It doesn't do anything but give a last second decision to recall or continue...If you can pull your fleet and resources out in 6 seconds or less, more power to you.....Most can't and that's shown in the CR section

And lastly I'm going to have to wholly agree with pirate andy and what he has just stated

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Ghostwolf, and Hell followed with him.

Veni Vidi Vici

Audaces Fortuna Iavat

• You don't just safety probe - you safety probe WITH slow down - at which point it doesn't matter if the rule is 6 or 20 seconds because there is plenty of time to do as you wish.

If you don't slow down, safety probe alone counts for nothing and it is completely useless. That's what I'm talking about all the time.

Lastly, nothing can help against jump gate ninja, not sure why you said that.

• It’s not a safety probe if you don’t slow. That’s just a probe. I thought that was obvious. I also stated that 20 secs doesn’t change that, it just makes it more annoying and give you more risk in missing the acs defend if you got really unlucky.

when did I say anything about jumpgate? I said acs defend. Id avoid jumpgate ninja by sending overkill in case that’s your next bit of input.

Space Pyrate

• It’s not a safety probe if you don’t slow. That’s just a probe. I thought that was obvious. I also stated that 20 secs doesn’t change that, it just makes it more annoying and give you more risk in missing the acs defend if you got really unlucky.

when did I say anything about jumpgate? I said acs defend. Id avoid jumpgate ninja by sending overkill in case that’s your next bit of input.

Everything you said of course stands for slow down and probe, but everyone here (and in other threads) talks and complains just about a "probe", that's the thing :)

For most people "safety probe" doesn't automatically include slow down.

Everything you said of course stands for slow down and probe, but everyone here (and in other threads) talks and complains just about a "probe", that's the thing :)

For most people "safety probe" doesn't automatically include slow down.

Not really sure how you would safety probe without a slowdown but Ok i guess

Veni Vidi Vici

Audaces Fortuna Iavat

• Exactly, which makes the whole idea of spying before TIMED attacks pointless, with the sole purpose of such action (as described in original post) being bugusing.

You're dead wrong and you don't even know it. I almost ended up bonked by a player who desperately decided to last second wallet up and sprout some plasmas in my face. and before you say

look below and tell me how I can delay my fleet in a situation like this where other player is even closer behind me

Safety probing should be legal and this whole mess is just GF's mess thrown in to fix a former bigger mess. Matter of fact, not sure which is the bigger mess, fleets getting locked because of bad code or people banned from safety probing.

Anyways, my 2 cents

• LonestarX obviously delaying is not an option for timed attacks, but probing is no good either.

The only threat in this scenario is defender insta building. A good ninja would be to click it at the very last moment (2 seconds before landing). Let's imagine the rule doesn't exist - there is no way to read the report and recall in 2 seconds.

So if defender is a good player, what good would your probing do?

Not the noob you caught here in the screenshot, but like in the original post (moon popped, deploy return timed).

Why would you spy (which is not real time) instead of monitor millitary points which gives points info cheetah speed?

• there is no way to read the report and recall in 2 seconds.

Funny, you never use multi-tab ogame? side-by-side? one for message, one for fleet movement?

As for your question, the answer is to simulate if def insta built enough def for me to recall or not. For example in my particular case above, def built enough for draw but not enough for me to lose so I let the attack go ahead even if i lost loot. But it could've been worse and he could've had me lose and then it wouldn't be worth it.

• So I've been reading this neat book I found in a thrift shop, "How to legally double your fleet in Ogame" and I got to this interesting 20s rule chapter and I got a quick question. if I have someone timing my fleet and i can't ninja it and a random citizen spies me, they (attacker and spier) get banned for 2 weeks and have to return the res from the crash but I get my fleet back and also keep the wreckage and whatever DF i could gather, right? Asking for a friend :)

Edited once, last by LonestarX ().

• Quick question:

Who was the author of the book, cause I've only ever heard of the Narko Flight Manual ever being published.

Also helps if you tag the right GA dealing with it 🤣

Arcane
    :spamshield: