Ion cannons affect rapidfire

• Do you agree with this request and would you like it to be relayed to GameForge ? 29

1. Yes (14) 48%
    2. No (15) 52%

Ion cannons are pretty bad as they are right now and ion tech is useless. Lets change that a bit. Lore-wise it can be explained by ions interfering with targeting systems.

Refresher of how combat works

- Each round, every unit randomly shoots another unit

- Rapidfire against a unit type gives a chance to fire another random shot after hitting a unit of that type

- Repeat until either 6 rounds have occurred or one side is completely destroyed

Suggestion

- Being “tagged” by ion cannon fire in a given round decreases a unit’s rapidfire numbers by a percentage in the next round

- Scales with number of IC hits taken in a given combat round

- Numbers can additionally scale with ion tech, increasing by some % each level

Number of IC hits in current round

% decrease in rapidfire numbers for next round

1 to 3

4 to 10

11 to 30

31 to 100

100 to 300

300 to 1000

> 1000

Gameplay Implications

- Gives an additional use for ion tech

- Makes ion cannons more viable

- Affects RIPs the most as they come in lower numbers, could halve their effectiveness for defence bashing

- Smaller effect on other ships, eg. a cruiser might kill one or two fewer LFs/RLs each round

- No effect in the first round of combat as nothing has been hit yet

- Could be problematic for combat sims but surely it can be worked around

Edited 2 times, last by Neotinea ().

• How do you want to implement it without completely changing the current mechanics of battle simming?

You're right it may be challenging to Sim, which I mentioned in the original post.

I simply put forward the idea because I think it makes cohesive sense from both a gameplay and a balance perspective. Whether you agree is up to you. I think it's a valid reason to be concerned and unfortunately comes from the fact that the community keeps GF's game playable for them. Who here actually uses the in-game combat simulator?

Edited once, last by DonutZ ().

• Neotinea

Closed the thread.