Posts by TheJoker

Wow. I hate it. OGame does not need new bells and whistles, it needs balance, and this is going in the exact opposite direction.

The release of the player classes, and particularly the discoverer, were a disaster. Yes, they are fine now, but the initial Discoverer implementation introduced a brand new way to getting significant amounts of resources with very little risk, completely disrupting the economy. It was also incredibly easy to build bots for, so we saw the rise of giant bot controlled accounts, that can't be acted on now, since Gameforge isn't interested in or isn't capable of detecting them, and many of them have transitioned back into human control.

I was hoping to say "Well, at least it can be turned off via a Server Setting when they realize it's a bad idea", but that's not even the case. If you look at the Server Settings, there's nothing to control turning it on or off.

I am incredibly concerned that with the advent of the mobile app, it's going to increase the number of bots in the game, which is one of the biggest problems OGame has. I am happy to go into detail, but not in a public forum.

It feels like GF wants to turn OGame into a "traditional" mobile game, ala Clan Wars (I think that's a mobile game, I don't play any). I think the most hardcore OGame players play it because it's NOT one of those games.

As Gameforge adds these types of features, without addressing bigger problems like "How do make players always feel like they have a change to become the #1 in a universe, incentivizing them to keep playing", and thus preventing Unis from dying off, they will bring in more players but drive away their most loyal players.

Tomorrow the PTS universes are going to be updated to 9.0.0-beta5, which (to me at least) is the first public preview of the update.

April 26: Version 9.0.0-beta5 (PTS only)

There is no changelog yet, but with the previous major version updates, Gameforge has fundamentally changed the way OGame is played, either greatly improving or ruining it, depending on your view. The biggest example of this was the Discoverer Class, and the introduction of a brand new major source of income, completely out of balance with regular fleeters or miners.

So, with the new release coming out, what might we see? Nothing is too wacky of an idea.

I saw the Superuser cluster post, but that's never going to happen. I didn't think it was worth responding to.

It's a huge amount of development work that GF won't want to spend, plus incredibly confusing for players, and you will utterly fail to balance across universes with different specs.

This proposal requires minimal development effort, and limited specs. It's clear at any point in time when specs you are playing, with fast growth for small accounts and slow growth for the largest ones, so they converge.

As a follow up I forgot to mention, I don't think the cluster should be created all at the same time. Instead, I would expect the Cygnus universe to be created, then Belinda a few months later (and rebalanced at that time), with Atlas last.

This suggestion tries to ensure universes stay relatively balanced in terms of points, as well as maintain a maintain a healthy player pool for an extended period.

For the purposes of this example, imagine a cluster of three universes with the following specs (names taken from the recent .org exodus universes)

Universe Atlas - 2x Eco, 3x Fleet, 3 Galaxies, 50% Deut consumption, 70% DF, DiDF 10%, must stay out of VM for 24h after emerging

Universe Belinda - 4x Eco, 3x Fleet, 7 Galaxies, 50% DF

Universe Cygnus - 6x Eco, 12x Research, 3x Fleet, 7 Galaxies, 30% DF, No ACS

Looking at these specs, it is clear that Atlas is a very aggressive universe, designed for fleeting, and Cygnus is a very passive universe, good for mining. However, they all have the same War Fleet speed, so while each may have different play styles, fleet timings would be identical across each.

Every 3-6 months, these universes would be rebalanced via a forced merge process. Imagine if all the accounts across all three universes were ranked by points, and then the top third merged into Atlas, the middle third to Belinda, and the bottom third to Cygnus.

Additionally, during the merge periods, players would always be given the option to move up to a stronger universe, so if one member of an alliance is going to be moved, the rest of the alliance could follow and stick together.

Per this logic, Atlas should almost always contain the strongest, most aggressive accounts, Belinda the middle tier, and Cygnus the "newbie" accounts.

Each of these three universes would still be available for direct registration, in case players want to start in "easy", "medium", or "hard" mode.

Because Atlas is so aggressive, I expect players to be hit there, and the player pool would decrease, but it would always be refilled by the strongest players from Belinda.

On the other hand, because the strongest players are constantly being removed from Cygnus, it becomes a "safe" place for players to learn how to play the game, without being forced to play a universe where the top players have hundreds of thousands of points.

Duplicate account rules would still apply in all of these universes. Players may have one account in each of the universes, but should two of them be merged into the same universe, they may only play one of them.

Nice hit again, this universe is becoming interesting :biggrin:

Funny how things get interesting when some of the "Uniquely" built and played accounts go away.

As for "whose fleet" that is, it's Mike's fleet. He built it originally, handed it over to me at one point to care for, and it's only fair he takes it back. I learned almost all I know about fleeting from him.

All's y'all that like to snipe on the board, let me know when you build up fleet as fast as he did.

When I first read this post, I was sympathetic. OGame is a war game, and you can play it however you want (within the rules), but it helps nobody if you’re a jerk, and prevent others from growing.

in this situation, you are being the jerk. You seem to have an expectation that everyone will leave you alone, and when anyone shows any interest, you become incredibly hostile, in the form of MD’s, spam multi day attacks, and abusive messages.

It’s one thing to probe someone back when they probe you. If someone is actively hunting you with a mobile, popping their moon overnight makes sense. Myself, I have certainly had IPM parties where I’ve launched 10k+ ipms at a moon I wanted to pop looking for a fleet.

Going haywire when someone settles in your system, and starts looking for profit makes you the bad guy. I’m 100% with Deperado and crew here.

You made your bed, now you must lay in it. However, I hope you allow me to give you some advice.

1. Stop holding the grudge. You messed up, continuing to be pissed at players that are stronger than you won’t help.

2. Lay low, and don’t give them a reason to keep trying to knock you down a peg. Don’t spam their overview with attacks, don’t pop their moons, don’t IPM their defense. Reasonable probing is fine, and if you find a profitable hit, it seems very reasonable to take it, even against them. They won’t hold a grudge forever if you don’t.

3. Play defensively. Learn to properly protect the red on your colonies. If you suspect your defense is going to be destroyed, don’t build defense, and build mines/facilities/research/ships instead. Keep your ships in the air where they can’t be hit. People in this game generally only care about attacks for profit. Stop giving people a reason to attack for reasons other than profit, and don’t set yourself up for profitable hits.

A few final thoughts: I, nor likely anyone in HOT, will take a headhunt from you on anyone you have complained about in this thread. Not because I’m friends with any of them, or I don’t want to recycle their fleets, but because I don’t want to encourage players with poor sportsmanship/manners into thinking they can always bring in a bigger fish to save them. I doubt anyone else will help you either, given the full story.

There I was minding my own business, collecting everyone's orders for the local Thai takeout place, when a little birdie gave a "Cheep Cheep" on Discord. Someone didn't log in at reset, and left most of their fleet sitting on a moon.

We couldn't leave that nice present sitting. No sir.

Ahnult was in position and ready for this day, but unfortunately I was over 100ss away. I could have gotten into position a while ago, but I was waiting for a Very Legitimately Built Account to head off to the graveyard, before I decided what I was going to do in Cygnus.

Given that I was so far from the hit, and only had enough deut there for a partial fleet launch, I decided to mobile in. Despite taking an hour or so, defender stayed offline. During the colo flight, Song came online to join the two of us, and guarantee the hit would go through instead of a draw.

The rest can be seen below.

Fast rebuild to the defender. I hope you are healthy and well, it's not like you to not log at reset. Thank you for the resources.

Dedicated to HOT. Colombian, we love you, and thank you for making this hit possible. It wouldn't have happened without you. Song and Anhult, always good to fly with you, a guy couldn't have better ACS partners. Mike, you might not have been able to join us this time, but we're glad you're still part of the crew. Next time! And one last friend, who's taking a pause in the game right now to take care of real life. Hope the family is doing well.

----------------------------------------------

On 29-10-2021 --:--:--, the following fleets met in battle:

Attacker Blue Fear [HOT]

Light Fighter 12.539.224

Destroyer 534.888

Heavy Fighter 1.779.248

Reaper 244.609

Cruiser 3.380.560

Battleship 2.087.391

Battlecruiser 1.842.361

Attacker IIlIlIIIIllIllIIIlll [HOT]

Battleship 997.161

Battlecruiser 650.416

Destroyer 951.103

Reaper 299.997

Pathfinder 28.503

Light Fighter 10.830.097

Heavy Fighter 2.368

Cruiser 2.931.117

Attacker Ahnult [HOT]

Heavy Fighter 2.129

Battlecruiser 1.020.426

Bomber 46

Destroyer 1.501.334

Reaper 100.626

Light Fighter 3.196.723

Cruiser 4.308.211

Battleship 4.091.358

Defender OpARiN [MofS_E]

Small Cargo 2.448.241

Large Cargo 11.444.838

Light Fighter 16.406.831

Heavy Fighter 537.969

Cruiser 370.206

Battleship 111.035

Colony Ship 96

Recycler 634.719

Espionage Probe 5.648.355

Bomber 26.276

Destroyer 102.739

Deathstar 27.015

Battlecruiser 1.931.494

Reaper 8.158

Pathfinder 495.976

Rocket Launcher 60.613

Light Laser 20.000

Heavy Laser 20.000

Gauss Cannon 2.025

Ion Cannon 40

Plasma Turret 10.000

After the battle ...

Attacker Blue Fear [HOT]

Light Fighter 9.171.037 ( -3.368.187 )

Destroyer 489.781 ( -45.107 )

Heavy Fighter 1.425.832 ( -353.416 )

Reaper 223.961 ( -20.648 )

Cruiser 3.046.515 ( -334.045 )

Battleship 1.909.184 ( -178.207 )

Battlecruiser 1.685.692 ( -156.669 )

Attacker IIlIlIIIIllIllIIIlll [HOT]

Battleship 912.037 ( -85.124 )

Battlecruiser 594.933 ( -55.483 )

Destroyer 871.313 ( -79.790 )

Reaper 274.512 ( -25.485 )

Pathfinder 25.690 ( -2.813 )

Light Fighter 7.937.371 ( -2.892.726 )

Heavy Fighter 1.885 ( -483 )

Cruiser 2.642.161 ( -288.956 )

Attacker Ahnult [HOT]

Heavy Fighter 1.691 ( -438 )

Battlecruiser 933.861 ( -86.565 )

Bomber 42 ( -4 )

Destroyer 1.374.314 ( -127.020 )

Reaper 92.034 ( -8.592 )

Light Fighter 2.331.257 ( -865.466 )

Cruiser 3.875.594 ( -432.617 )

Battleship 3.734.014 ( -357.344 )

Defender OpARiN [MofS_E]

Destroyed!

The attacker has won the battle!

The attacker captured:

3.562.608.015 Metal, 2.323.282.635 Crystal and 1.887.624.501 Deuterium

890.652.004 Metal, 580.820.659 Crystal and 471.906.126 Deuterium

222.663.001 Metal, 145.205.165 Crystal and 117.976.531 Deuterium

The attacker lost a total of 165.626.441.000 units.

Total damage attacker including follow-ups: 165.799.077.000 units.

The defender lost a total of 720.524.457.000 units.

Total damage defender including follow-ups: 722.681.377.000 units.

At these space coordinates now float 309.774.707.272 metal and 245.557.731.532 crystal.

Extra debris caused by the follow-up(s): 89.635.000 metal and 31.210.200 crystal.

The attacker captured a total of 10.202.738.637 units.

The chance for a moon to be created from the debris was 20%.

The attacker(s) captured the debris.

Summary of profit/losses:

Summary attackers(s)

Metal: 213.113.462.292

Crystal: 195.753.786.191

Deuterium: -9.010.302.842

The attacker(s) made a profit of 399.856.945.641 units.

Summary defender(s)

Metal: -356.430.653.020

Crystal: -309.215.872.459

Deuterium: -67.237.590.158

The defender(s) lost a total of 732.884.115.637 units.