Posts by Cathedral

Hopefully it'll cross domains...at the end of the day, it's pretty much the same players migrating, quitting, and then migrating to a new uni every time GF pops a new one.

GF needs to fire each and every member of their marketing team, they're absolutely pathetic at drawing new players to this game...granted, trying to draw people to what is essentially a living excel spreadsheet called a game isn't an easy task but they could at least "try".

Uni mergers alone won't save this ship that sunk, and then continues to sink deeper and deeper into the abyss...they're gonna have to start merging dead domain servers too. And hire a marketing team that knows how to market a product. If Gary Dahl can make $15 million in the 1970's from a f'n Pet Rock then surely someone could figure out how to market what is essentially an excel spreadsheet on crack.

giphy.gif

its a big hype and i think everyone has the feeling that this will be all over sometime soon so gather all the res you can and get as far ahead as you can! They may change this discoverer soon and there wont be much gain then :/

I think if they, do that they (GF) will get inundated with a lot of angry players demanding a free class change. They're (GF) is kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place now...

A lot depends on your lifestyle...you don't need to sacrifice a game-life balance to play disco, especially if you're able to play via mobile device. You just need good time management skills. Launch expos, set a timer when it's time to see if you need to send PF or not, reset timer for when they all get home and then send expos again throughout the day. When you have time set aside to actually get involved, then go do some hunting.

Disco is an active class, you have to put in some effort to make the gains...if you don't, there is zero bonus.

Collector is a passive class, you get the bonuses regardless if you're overview idling or out banging hookers and diving into piles of blow. The real drawback to collector is the insane amount of energy required for crawlers, it took sat bashing from something that was normally done out of spite to something potentially profitable.

General is only good for MS account and reaper factory unless it's a new uni with a target rich environment, it would have been a great class back in the day when numbered unis had thousands and thousands of players. But it's hard to get people excited to play what is essentially an excel spreadsheet come to life.

Indeed we all like the drama of an inter- alliance hit ...

giphy.gif

Kova took out all Portka's expo probes so Potrka could get some crystal to go for grav 2 :)

tenor.gif

But it's Potrka, so it's probably something shady (again).

giphy.gif

Ogame was always about PvP, the hunt, the plays.

Was...that's the key word here. This isn't "then" anymore, the old days of oGame in the numbered unis with thousands of players for years at a time is gone. If that (dwindling player base) had been addressed properly with a strategic marketing team that knew how to sell a pig wearing lipstick, than GF wouldn't need to spruce it up with free candy. At this point I don't think GF could convince people with free hookers and piles of blow to play oGame.

Personally, I don't mind the expos...I'm capitazling on it like most everyone else that realized the potentia; adapt, evolve, & overcome. It's kept me interestested and engaged in the game for the time being at least.

Lots of people making statements about the "hunt", the "skill", and what not but if you don't have a target rich environment to practice those skills or have something to hunt, what's the point of complaining about it?

I think we're just going to see more bandaids to stop the hemoraging, I would bet that we'll see domain mergers and not just server mergers (there are countries with servers much worse off than .org servers so why not merge all of us together, language barriers be damned).

For some reason attracting new players just doesn't seem like much of a priority...

EDIT: And since we're all probably practicing social distancing or working remotely...we should make this a drinking game and every new topic created about Discoverers you should have to drink a bottle of Rakia (or equivalent).

Whats the point of having a 'war' game when the entire focus of the game has changed to a passive style of play - which not to mention is based on luck. The highest ranked players are the ones who can spam the most expos & get the luckiest .... its laughable at best, no more skill is required.

To have a "war" game like this survive, it's needs players...and it's not gaining players, it's constantly losing them through attrition, frustration, boredom, etc. Then there is the whole pyramid ranking system and runaway exponential growth. I've always wondered why they don't limit that by implementing some kind of exponential costs for ships and defense like they do with everything else. The class system would have worked great a long time ago, now it's just a novely to spark a momentary uptick in activity until the novelty wears off. GF needs to hire a marketing team that can put some lipstick on this old pig and find more creative ways to sell a game like this to new crowds, and that is going to be a hard sell because lets face it...this game is way behind the times compared to what esle is out there.

I've heard nothing but horror stories when it comes to getting billing issues fixed...worse if you gave an account away and it still had the billing information tied to it. They really need to have a verification system for purging private data from an accouint.

giphy.gif

The classes do good or bad depending on uni settings and the points the players have. Under certain circumstances the collector passive bonus will surpass the discoverer. The General class does good in a brand new, active uni with lots of targets...eventually though it'll have to change to discoverer or collector to stay afloat because the unis don't last.

General class would thrive in the old numbered unis back before they were making new unis every month. But that brings us back to the problem with that, and that is the continuing attrition of the population. Game Forge's marketing department, if they have one...is garbage. They don't do a very good job of marketing, advertising, etc. to bring in new players. There are various types of players, the majority probably fall into one of a few major groups. You have the migrant flock that plays a new uni for a bit to see if they can make it to the top and if they can't then they migrate to the next new one; rinse, wash, repeait...commitment issues abound to the unis these days. Another type of player is the stubborn ones who just settle in to the monotony because they've been playing so long, it's almost muscle memory.

The new classes brought in a brief burst of activity, for those that did their research based off the test unis it was apparent that for an active player that Discoverer would be the best path. And then when the whole pirate/alien hunting thing caught on, there was more activity. But it's a novelty, people's attention spans are short and even that is starting to wane.

Boosting the the other classes sounds like a great idea, but the problem is finding a way to do that which make them have to actively get the bonus like discoverers do.

Personally, I don't think GF should expend anymore energy on the classes ATM. What they really need to do IMO is address their marketing of the game to lure in new players. Which is going to be tough, because lets face it...this isn't exactly a thrilling game compared to what else is out there in the market. We're basically playing a living excel spreadsheet. And how do you lure new players into this game?

Right now, I think Game Forge should be doing a marketing blitz with all the people that are having to work remote globally. Stike while the iron is hot...

Look at how games with ingame purchases do it on iOS and Android apps. They allow players to earn DM by watching ads, taking surveys, etc. I think a lot of players would do that here if it was an option.

Improve the beneft of player recruiting, give a better bonus to players that recruit new players...give new players that join older unis a fat stack of DM and RES (obviously it would require a bit more active GO/SGO involvement to combat the the people that would try to gain off this via multi).

Intelligent merges. Game Forge has to put more thought into how they merge unis, the disparites in points/fleet etc. that has taken place in the previous merges are ridiculous and lead to people getting frustrated and perma vmoding. They need to find a way to ensure it's not a bloodbath, but still competetitive. They also need to take into account that some players only play in certain settings, for example I won't play a speed uni. I prefer 1x*...you force me into a speed uni and I'm done until another 1x comes along. So make sure there are plenty of target unis for people to choose from. Also, they're going to need to merge domains, not just servers. There are lots of countries with servers that are as dead or worse than .org servers.

*I khow a lot of people will smirk at the prospect of playing a 1x because speed is all they know...but the funny thing is, Dorado being 1x has a better population than most (not all) of the speed unis that came after it. Not great or even good mind, you...it just seemed to hold onto activity and population longer than the speed unis that came after it.

I am persistent...zero loss and pure profit with the good juice.

giphy.gif

Still PAGAN. Still standing. Still making money and still not banned M'FR's.

GLORD and be well Dorado...COVID-19 is not to be taken lightly.

On 25-03-2020 --:--:--, the following fleets met in battle:

Attacker PAGAN [DoP]

l18-nGwDqcZpoz7JT5kDDMTCnjh2dAdn5i0syNPIRtJtRtT3ljbuhDMfsE8mMTlWsTnDdcI_F3Vq7SpJ3wBDaTX7yoFZyaPSlLr5gWT7Nsx-A9foO3lLCQRAff4tWu9QhzPmk88ODopkj_eJJ02VWW85Lnsm-PlCFL3QcpV-DYpJ8J44_59yLkrkFN5_tjPBVr5CXgnrCw5F8ROIBpHLpURLiM0bQ855ZCC_0bRLITdTB0GBs38N4LPXlbzGPgmX6YBBEWLLPnXxknelQZk0NU8DpaZuKt9zW9ujlSGPyO1hs1FUFG_kOcJ30tMm3TES_0LZuyUkXBQhpvXTnuE3WalTOjsuqRsn77W-0ng1uqWKYcuhMJHDAanwl8tblk0tKFsVStOGHnh7mr2UM_eUMrPGskXbI-5ik2c4lkY6ERrLcpP71Meexttumt5WrUbs_LK28d-ZVnRaN5tvgIpjgysCTUkqe1U6vhcLtu8OOJ3jIPmxennvBcGVSJ1hk3auiMIoo9sGIhQ-9R0lGXf88oU7RpJ5koC95S1Aua1jHOEetCpa5NCx1M9xrJJQm8L4oQ7ZPER3WkPd9QrnnErsXxIpI9XwLCg096Rt7yZF7TZq1RwO5fRHy6JTDav-wVnNLa1Y2umXS1AfFAReVyaoEsXkoZnG-3rnO4OnyA-ZdV99If0u4TUzTzsxJDdBAA=w294-h182-no

Battlecruiser 2.500

Pathfinder 900

Defender Massacre [RNR]

Small Cargo 90

Large Cargo 1.100

Pathfinder 62

After the battle ...

Attacker PAGAN [DoP]

Battlecruiser 2.500 ( -0 )

Pathfinder 900 ( -0 )

Defender Massacre [RNR]

Destroyed!

The attacker has won the battle!

The attacker captured:

2.025.235 Metal, 6.587.420 Crystal and 8.142.239 Deuterium

506.309 Metal, 1.646.855 Crystal and 2.035.560 Deuterium

126.577 Metal, 411.714 Crystal and 508.890 Deuterium

The attacker lost a total of 0 units.

The defender lost a total of 15.482.000 units.

At these space coordinates now float 2.182.800 metal and 2.313.000 crystal.

The attacker captured a total of 21.990.799 units.

The chance for a moon to be created from the debris was 20%.

Debris harvested by the attacker(s):

2.182.800 Metal and 2.313.300 Crystal

Summary of profit/losses:

Summary attackers(s)

Metal: 4.840.921

Crystal: 10.959.289

Deuterium: 10.686.689

The attacker(s) made a profit of 26.486.899 units.

Summary defender(s)

Metal: -9.934.121

Crystal: -16.355.989

Deuterium: -11.182.689

The defender(s) lost a total of 37.472.799 units.